HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Flu infections sweep Amer...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:51 PM

Flu infections sweep America hospitalizing thousands and leaving 18 children dead of complications

Last edited Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:44 PM - Edit history (1)

2,257 people have been hospitalized since the start of flu season
Three-fourths of those with symptoms say the were not vaccinated
41 states have reported cases

While the CDC is waiting for more time to pass before classifying the season, Google Flu Trends
has already listed it as 'intense' by monitoring flu activity around the world based on internet search terms.

And roughly 4 per cent of users on Flu Near You, a real-time tracking tool gaining about 100 new participants per week, say they're experiencing symptoms.

'That's huge,' John Brownstein, an epidemiologist and assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and Children’s Hospital Boston, told NBC News. 'Last year, we never got near this.'
Brownstein is one of the founders of Flu Near You, a project, coordinated by Children’s Hospital Boston, the Skoll Global Threats Fund and the American Public Health Association.

The project has been a great tool for generating immediate data about the ongoing flu season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257597/Flu-infections-sweep-America-hospitalizing-thousands-leaving-18-children-dead-complications-going-worse.html#ixzz2HDdXuSGk

29 replies, 2202 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply Flu infections sweep America hospitalizing thousands and leaving 18 children dead of complications (Original post)
dkf Jan 2013 OP
riverbendviewgal Jan 2013 #1
dkf Jan 2013 #2
riverbendviewgal Jan 2013 #5
hedgehog Jan 2013 #12
dkf Jan 2013 #19
gkhouston Jan 2013 #23
dkf Jan 2013 #24
Hissyspit Jan 2013 #17
dixiegrrrrl Jan 2013 #18
Mona Jan 2013 #26
phylny Jan 2013 #21
hedgehog Jan 2013 #22
marybourg Jan 2013 #28
brewens Jan 2013 #3
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #6
hrmjustin Jan 2013 #4
RomneyLies Jan 2013 #7
w8liftinglady Jan 2013 #8
Rosa Luxemburg Jan 2013 #9
proud2BlibKansan Jan 2013 #10
SoCalNative Jan 2013 #11
hedgehog Jan 2013 #13
Viva_La_Revolution Jan 2013 #14
glinda Jan 2013 #15
kestrel91316 Jan 2013 #16
intheflow Jan 2013 #20
Mona Jan 2013 #27
ChrisVance Jan 2013 #25
CountAllVotes Jan 2013 #29

Response to dkf (Original post)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:57 PM

1. flu shots are given to all here

Each fall my town has a couple days giving shots at the local arena. Otherwise if you can not make those days you can go to your doctor or the health unit or the pharmacy. They are free.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:00 PM

2. A few years ago it give me the flu so I stopped. My fault I had a little bit of a cold.

But it sounds like I should get one this year.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:08 PM

5. i do not think it is too late.

Two of my friends did not get the flu shot. They are both down with it now. I got mine but I caught a cold. It is not a bad one.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:26 PM

12. I think that some people get a reaction to the flu shot -

slight fever, achiness, chills as their immune system kicks in . It still beats getting the real thing!

Don't dis the other viruses roaming around out there. A cold can get pretty nasty and be mistaken for influenza - until you've experienced influenza!

Reply to this post

Response to hedgehog (Reply #12)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:56 PM

19. No...I was in bed for 5 days with a fever that wouldn't stop.

Completely zapped with body aches, exhausted and just miserable.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #19)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:35 PM

23. If it was right after you got the shot, you already had the flu.

There's an incubation period, where you're infected but don't feel ill. Two days is a typical incubation period, but it can range from 1 to 4 days.

Reply to this post

Response to gkhouston (Reply #23)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:01 PM

24. Could be, but I didn't know anyone else who had it.

I heard that one was a bad batch though, from a nurse too iirc.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 02:41 PM

17. You can't get the flu from a flu shot...

http://www.m.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/top-13-flu-myths?page=3

Flu Myth #3: The flu vaccine can give you the flu.

This is the flu myth most likely to drive experts bonkers. “There is simply no way that the flu vaccine can give you the flu,” says Hay. “It’s impossible.”

Why? For one, injected flu vaccines only contain dead virus, and a dead virus is, well, dead: it can’t infect you. There is one type of live virus flu vaccine, the nasal vaccine, FluMist. But in this case, the virus is specially engineered to remove the parts of the virus that make people sick.

Despite the scientific impossibility of getting the flu from the flu vaccines, this widespread flu myth won’t die. Experts suspect two reasons for its persistence. One, people mistake the side effects of the vaccine for flu. While side effects to the vaccine these days tend to be a sore arm, in the past, side effects often felt like mild symptoms of the flu. Two, flu season coincides with a time of year when bugs causing colds and other respiratory illnesses are in the air. Many people get the vaccine and then, within a few days, get sick with an unrelated cold virus. However, they blame the innocent flu vaccine, rather than their co-worker with a runny nose and cough.

Reply to this post

Response to Hissyspit (Reply #17)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 04:16 PM

18. So what IS in the vaccine that gives you side effects that feel like the flu?

totally understandable that people get the vaccine, then come down with flu symptoms,
whch are apparently "side effects"
and think they got the flu from the vaccine,
because the side effects "often felt like mild symptoms of the flu. "

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #18)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:07 PM

26. there is a modified live virus

Version of the vaccine from which you *can* get the flu. Most people won't if it's manufactured correctly, but some will.

Reply to this post

Response to Hissyspit (Reply #17)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 10:41 PM

21. My physcian's assistant told me that yes, they say you can't, but she knows of many in her practice,

me included, that get sick from it. My daughter works for CVS, and she said it's a known side effect, according to the pharmacist. I got a pneumonia shot, but not the flu shot this year, because every year, without fail, I get the shot and am sick as a dog over the weekend.

I know the difference between a sore arm and aches, chills, fever, and being bedridden.

Reply to this post

Response to phylny (Reply #21)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:09 PM

22. As i said at the start - i think the fever, aches and chills are a result of the immune system

going into overdrive. You've just given it a mighty kick with the vaccine. Now I'm curious as to whether people with autoimmune disorders are more or less likely to have a bad reaction....

Reply to this post

Response to hedgehog (Reply #22)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:23 PM

28. There seems to be no consensus on this, but I have an a.d. and,

possibly as a consequence, have never had the flu, rarely even a cold, refuse to get the shot.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:03 PM

3. Most people can get a free flu shot where I live in Idaho. At least I know my local

health district gives them away. I wouldn't say for sure the set up often enough and at enough locations to get to everyone that needs help. I think they do pretty well from what I have seen.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:09 PM

6. I got the shot

Like every year, early October.

I still got it from hubby. Probably the intensity is less.

Getting the vaccine is not 100% guarantee.

But I still get them every year.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:05 PM

4. My mother, brother, and I got the FLU this year and it sucks.

My father was the smart one and got the shot. I have asthma so it makes it ten times worse. Get the shot!

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:10 PM

7. I was vaccinated yesterday

First needle failed and about half the serum leaked down my arm, so I had to get a second injection.

So now I'm a bit achy and my shoulder is sore.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:15 PM

8. We just lost a young teenager in DFW

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/02/north-texas-teen-dies-from-flu-complications/

"When students and staff members in the Lewisville Independent School District return to classes after holiday break, they will be without one of their own. A teenager from Marcus High School in Flower Mound has died after developing complications related to the flu.
snip
Schwolert battled the ailments for several days before his family decided to remove life support."

Man, I just want to hug his parents now.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:18 PM

9. Flu vacc. didn't help

2 weeks after the flu vacc I got a horrible flu and then a few weeks later I got the flu again. This happened to me when I was at college when I got the the vacc.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:21 PM

10. Glad I got a flu shot.

Nearly everyone I know has had this flu.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:21 PM

11. Get your flu shots people!

eom

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:28 PM

13. I'd like to know how the vaccination rate for hospitalized people

matches the vaccination rate in general. I'm a firm believer in the vaccination, but I'd love to see some actual statistics on the level of protection.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:38 PM

14. 40% of adults get flu shots, and 50% of kids

25% of people with the flu had the shot. somebody do the math, cause I can't. How much does it lower your chances? 50%?

Reply to this post

Response to Viva_La_Revolution (Reply #14)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:57 PM

15. You might be close. I read a report recently that said 60% effective. That leaves

40 out one hundred sick. Blech*
They cannot know which strain is going to hit or if it is "mutated" at that point because they make it ahead of time. I think the true way of dealing with this crap is population control or if nothing else, dealing with the environment finally regarding pollution, warming, foods, etc....because our immune systems are ruined. But of course Pig Pharma would not like that.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 02:33 PM

16. "....Three-fourths of those with symptoms say the were not vaccinated"

I have little sympathy for this group. I get my flu shot every year to protect myself in part, but also to protect people around me FROM me, and to protect my patients FROM me (cats can get some types of human flu and die).

Be responsible citizens, peeps.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 10:20 PM

20. Annoyingly vague article. What is the timeframe being used?

According to Reuters, 115 children under the age of 18 died from the flu last year, roughly tracked from September to September. That averages out to about 9.5 children per month. If this story reflects the CDC's current findings since September 2012, this year's flu season seems to be off to a particularly slow start, averaging only about 4.5 deaths per month.

I am not saying anyone should forego getting a flu shot, and I'm not saying this flu season won't be bad, but this article reads more like an alarmist ad for vaccine than than hard fact that this is, indeed, a very early start to a very bad flu season.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #20)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:09 PM

27. I agree. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:03 PM

25. Spam deleted by cyberswede (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 02:01 PM

29. Infected right now

and wow is it ever hard to be rid of. Started up before Xmas like a bad case of allergies. From there it went to a severe sore throat. From there it went to high fever, coughing, aching, nausea, etc.

Have been in a horrible mood to say the least.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread