HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Are Millions of Americans...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:26 AM

Are Millions of Americans suffering from the Bystander Effect?

The bystander effect or Genovese syndrome is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases where individuals do not offer any means of help in an emergency situation to the victim when other people are present. The probability of help has often appeared to be inversely related to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. The mere presence of other bystanders greatly decreases intervention. In general, this is believed to happen because as the number of bystanders increases, any given bystander is less likely to notice the situation, interpret the incident as a problem, and less likely to assume responsibility for taking action.

Taking responsibility

The other major obstacle to intervention is known as diffusion of responsibility. This occurs when observers all assume that someone else is going to intervene and so each individual feels less responsible and refrains from doing anything. People may also fail to take responsibility for a situation and therefore intervene for more complex reasons depending on the context. They may assume that other bystanders are more qualified to help, such as doctors or police officers, and that their intervention would be unneeded.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Everyone is up in arms about the students who were bystanders in the rape case at the high school...

But aren't we all just watching as they assault and pillage our country, loot our treasury and attempt to kill our citizens through starvation and lack of medical care?

23 replies, 1615 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Are Millions of Americans suffering from the Bystander Effect? (Original post)
No Compromise Jan 2013 OP
Jackpine Radical Jan 2013 #1
dkf Jan 2013 #2
KittyWampus Jan 2013 #4
dkf Jan 2013 #5
No Compromise Jan 2013 #6
KittyWampus Jan 2013 #9
dkf Jan 2013 #12
L0oniX Jan 2013 #11
No Compromise Jan 2013 #13
KittyWampus Jan 2013 #3
No Compromise Jan 2013 #7
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #14
No Compromise Jan 2013 #16
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #17
No Compromise Jan 2013 #18
Pachamama Jan 2013 #8
No Compromise Jan 2013 #10
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #15
No Compromise Jan 2013 #19
Recursion Jan 2013 #20
No Compromise Jan 2013 #21
Recursion Jan 2013 #22
No Compromise Jan 2013 #23

Response to No Compromise (Original post)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:31 AM

1. I take your point, but it seems to me

that it's a lot more obvious what to do in a physical rape case than in an economic/political rape. Also, one or a few ordinary people can generally make a much larger difference in the former case than in the latter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

2. Who is attempting to kill our people through starvation and lack of medical care?

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:33 AM

4. Poverty & lack of access to medical care is called Institutional Violence. And it stems from those

in control of our Institutions. In the USA, that'd be the CEO's of some very large corporations.

Reply to this post

Response to KittyWampus (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:41 AM

5. And when we overpopulate the planet leading to mass starvation, which institution is responsible for

that?

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #5)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:56 AM

6. before we start starving, the politicians could stop giving farm subsidies to people like Bachmann

why are 'farmers' getting paid farm subsidies just because they own land that was once farmed?

They also could stop using 40% of our corn for an inefficient fuel additive.

No, the starving I am talking about is ruining the economy to the point that Grandma has to choose between food and medicine.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:47 PM

9. the problem with starvation is distribution, not food resources.

Reply to this post

Response to KittyWampus (Reply #9)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:58 PM

12. So far, but what at 7 billion 8 billion 10 bilion 15 billion on this planet?

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:54 PM

11. Religion. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to L0oniX (Reply #11)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 02:05 PM

13. the duggars

Reply to this post

3. I will never forget the millions of people who protested the USA going into Iraq under Bush Jr.

Referring to your second instance > many, many Americans are doing what they can to protest and stop the institutional violence in our country.

As for rape and other local crimes, I am appalled others did nothing to stop what was going on but am not ready to say this is the norm. I do not know actual percentages and think many other people step up when crimes are happening and don't get airplay or publicity.

Reply to this post

Response to KittyWampus (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:06 PM

7. many, many Americans have been standing up, but we need the millions more

We need the millions of people currently suffering from the bystander effect to stand up and say 'Enough'

If we all stand together (see A Bug's Life) we would be unstoppable. But we need unity, and a spark to start the fuel on fire.

Hopper: You let one ant stand up to us, and they all might stand up! Those puny little ants
outnumber us a hundred to one. And if they ever figure that out, there goes our way of life.
It's not about food, it's about keeping those ants in line"

Flick "We're a lot stronger than you say
we are. And you know it, don't you?
"

Reply to this post

Response to No Compromise (Reply #7)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 02:25 PM

14. And you would have those millions more if you would join hands rather than pointing fingers.

The Americans as a whole (both sides) are so busy blaming this group or that group, that the real problem is never addressed. You have things in common with almost all of these groups yet no one is willing to put aside all of the small things in order to together address the bigger issues where you believe it or not stand on common ground.

What do you see as 3 of the biggest problems facing America today?

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #14)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 02:46 PM

16. I agree, we have more in common than we do differences, which is why corporate media works to divide

They have everyone worked up about guns, gays and abortions...it is so obvious and absurd, but it works.

What real liberals and the original tea party members(before the freedomworks takeover) have in common:

1. End the violations of our Constitution- Cancel Homeland Security and the TSA , this will save us a fortune and restore our Constitution

2. End the Drug War which is just a slush fund apparently, they are not trying to stop drugs

Taibbi "Outrageous HSBC Settlement Proves Drug War is a Joke" How much do we waste on the Drug War?
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022142827

3. End Free Trade Real Patriots protect the country and it's economy by imposing Tariffs, we have had them since the American Revolution. Right Wing doesn't like paying taxes, well we aren't supposed to be paying income taxes. Our Founders wanted Corporations to pay to run the country, as they are the ones benefiting the most from our labor and infrastructure.

Reply to this post

Response to No Compromise (Reply #16)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 03:08 PM

17. Excellent post! I think most of us would agree that our conservative neighbors, family and friends

would happily get behind this. In fact, these are the very same things they want to change. As you point out, the things the media and the politicians want us focused on are real issues, but certainly not the most important issues facing the future of this country, and both sides are well aware of it. We have the power to change this, but can we stop calling each other stupid and put aside our differences long enough to get this accomplished.

Any suggestions?

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #17)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 03:32 PM

18. I think our media is a big part of the problem

If everyone threw corporate media out the window, maybe if electricity was out for an extended time...

everyone would be forced to walk outside and have a conversation with a neighbor about something other than what the media leads on...

Maybe we would start to see each other in a new light.

Maybe we would remember our shared humanity, snap out of this learned incivility.

Occupy was the perfect time, but from the get-go DUers and other progressives were attacking tea party people, 'our protest are better than your protests' kind of stuff when the real tea party originally started because of the bailouts, not abortion and racism.

But most people, around my town anyway, just don't seem to care about things. They don't want to know how bad things are, they want to live in their Kardashian bubble. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

I think that it is time for people to realize, we are not just bystanders in our democracy. This is our country, not their country.

Yes, it is painful to realize you have been lied to, to realize your government is so corrupt. I understand why people like to live in denial. It is not exactly enjoyable for all the activists out here to see how fucked up everything is, it's horrifying! They think we like it or something. No, this situation is very scary and leads to a very ugly future, which is why we are so angry at the corruption.

We must make people face reality, push through that pain, so they can help fix all the shit that has gone wrong. It's only going to get worse if we don't do something.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:22 PM

8. Guess we on DU are immune this effect....

We all have been battling the Assault on our country and people for over a decade, some here for many decades.

We havent gotten used to it or waiting for others....we are battle weary....but frustrated and tired of watching these kind of things happen and nothing being done. Many if not most of us are the ones that have taken to the streets protesting for womens health, against war, workers rights, against wall street & the banks....

Then we see this young girl violated and a system that is failing her and protecting the rapists....

I just wish and hope that our country can wake up and realize what is so very wrong and needs to be changed....

Reply to this post

Response to Pachamama (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:48 PM

10. battle weary- I agree totally. I woke up around the time of the Bush 'election'

and have been fighting ever since, only to lose and lose and then even lose when we win.

After the election, and 9/11...when you see what just happened, it's like you have no other choice than to fight.

And Duers have educated and inspired me every step of the way...

I'm not talking about the activists out there, but the millions of other Americans than we need to join us right now!

Reply to this post

Response to Pachamama (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 02:35 PM

15. You say you are battle weary. What have you done? This is a serious question. Maybe in your battle

you've covered areas I haven't thought about that need to be covered. Maybe if we all share our experience and knowledge we can fight a better fight. I think I've been very proactive but I'm not yet battle weary, though I'm willing to go there.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:42 PM

19. kick

nt

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 08:44 PM

20. The Genovese syndrome is misnamed. Literally a dozen people called the police

The calls stopped after the attacker followed her into the foyer, where nobody could see or hear what was going on. The problem wasn't bystander apathy but police delay.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #20)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:37 PM

21. never heard that before

interesting

Reply to this post

Response to No Compromise (Reply #21)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 10:46 PM

22. Here's a good start

http://drx.typepad.com/psychotherapyblog/2008/02/debunking-an-ic.html

My dad's a shrink; he did a lot of research on this case. It's one of those memes that gets stuck in the social consciousness but has little basis in fact.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:48 AM

23. Here's an awesome idea of what Americans could to to fight back

Pamplona's Locksmiths Join Revolt as Banks Throw Families From Their Homes in Spain
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022147610

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread