HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mitt Romney Discloses Con...

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:46 PM

Mitt Romney Discloses Contributions to Antigay Groups

Tax returns unveiled by Mitt Romney today show contributions to two antigay organizations, including one that campaigned against a transgender rights bill by implying trans people are sexual predators.

The Human Rights Campaign points out a report by CNN that says Romney's charitable foundation gave at least $35,000 to antigay groups in 2010, with $10,000 going to the Massachusetts Family Institute, which ran radio ads last year warning parents that a transgender civil rights bill could lead to all manner of danger in bathrooms.

One woman said in a radio ad that if the legislation passed (which it did), she wouldn’t let her daughter use the restroom alone anymore. And the group's website showed a restroom door with the provocative message, “Who’s going to be waiting for your wife and daughter?”

The Massachusetts Family Institute is perhaps best known for sponsoring a 2007 anti–marriage equality amendment, which failed to get on the ballot in that state. Romney was governor there from 2003 until 2007 and opposed same-sex marriage.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2012/01/24/Mitt_Romney_Discloses_Contributions_to_Antigay_Groups/

2 replies, 770 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mitt Romney Discloses Contributions to Antigay Groups (Original post)
William769 Jan 2012 OP
one_voice Jan 2012 #1
roguevalley Jan 2012 #2

Response to William769 (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:49 PM

1. This might earn...

Mittens some love from the revolting base.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to William769 (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 05:58 PM

2. If I remember correctling -I've been poor so long now I've forgotten- you can deduct

your charitables and even pay less tax. Remember his donations are to himself.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread