HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Romney's Layabout America...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:24 PM

Romney's Layabout America

For the 99%, unemployment means the immediate danger of ending up bankrupt, or without health insurance, or homeless. For the wealthy, unemployment means essentially nothing, as your money continues to make millions in income for you.

Maybe a guy like Romney really thinks unemployment is all about sitting around and collecting checks. That's what it is for him, and he grew up rich so what would he know different?

I don't think Romney has earned an actual paycheck since he left the governor's corner office in Boston. He's been a bum and a deadbeat since January 4, 2007. As for private sector work, other than some stuff he did for the Olympics (does that count?) he's been a shiftless layabout since he left Bain Capital in 1999.

And, yet, he somehow manages to pocket in excess of $20 million a year for doing absolutely nothing productive. He's just a parasite on society who goes around the country badmouthing people with actual jobs, like the president.

And the best part is that this freeloading loafer pays 15% on his "income" while hardworking people like Newt Gingrich pay 31%.

So, what does this idling shirker have to teach us about job creation? In Romney's America, do we all get to sit around doing nothing while checks roll in? Who will be left to fix our cars or replace the seawater pump impeller on our yachts?

I kid, but really, not.

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2012/1/24/11206/3864

4 replies, 1629 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney's Layabout America (Original post)
phantom power Jan 2012 OP
spin Jan 2012 #1
dkf Jan 2012 #2
oldhippie Jan 2012 #3
phantom power Jan 2012 #4

Response to phantom power (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:38 PM

1. He hopes to become President and do a great job for the 1% ...

The Republican establishment fully supports his goals.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to phantom power (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:43 PM

2. Isn't this basically how retirement works?

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:59 PM

3. Works for me

The wife and I are retired and just lay about collecting our small pension and social security checks. We do nothing productive. That's how I kinda planned retirement. Did I do wrong?

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 05:03 PM

4. more or less, if you can save enough

Romney paid more in taxes last year than my wife and I hope to save as principle for retirement over our entire careers. And you could say that we're in the top 1% of the 99%.

I haven't seen any statistics on how many people have a realistic hope of saving enough principle to retire with some reasonable comfort on the interest. I bet it's a small percentage. And that's assuming some kind of decent equities performance, which seems dicey these days.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread