HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How can people be so crue...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:04 PM

How can people be so cruel?

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22317411/calif-man-pleads-no-contest-torching-family-dog

Calif man pleads no contest to torching family dog

CAMARILLO, Calif.—An 18-year-old Ventura County man accused of dousing his family's dog with lighter fluid and setting it on fire in a ravine near their home has pleaded no contest to animal cruelty and arson charges.

Superior Court Judge Kevin McGee told Delgado that he could be sentenced to as many as three years in jail. However, McGee said that Judge Bruce Young, who will issue the sentence, has indicated he will sentence Delgado to no more than 16 months behind bars.

Delgado didn't say why he burned the 3-year-old basset hound named Buddy, but said he was under the influence of drugs when it happened. The dog died of its burns.

So sad.

13 replies, 1309 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to guardian (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:08 PM

1. If the pet dies, then the accused should pay the ultimate penalty for premeditated murder. These

fuckers get off too easy. And next, they'll doing doing similar to other animals, homeless people and the like. They are disgusting pieces of shit.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:11 PM

5. I agree

According to the article the dog died from burns.

Reply to this post

Response to guardian (Reply #5)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:22 PM

7. And the sentence was reduced. What will it take to get a full sentence? A house full of children?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:10 PM

2. Only an animal would do something like this.

A sociopath. He can't be helped.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:10 PM

3. I don't know but it seems to be an epidemic

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130104/WIRE/130109818/-1/archive?Title=-Officials-looking-for-who-set-Northern-California-puppy-on-fire

Officials looking for who set Northern California puppy on fire

SACRAMENTO — Sacramento animal control officers say they are looking for anybody responsible for deliberately setting fire to a puppy that has since died.

The Sacramento Bee (http://bit.ly/UOAU5Q) reports that the 4-month-old dog was found left for dead in North Sacramento on Wednesday.

Officials say the puppy apparently had been placed in a plastic container and was set afire either on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:11 PM

4. I could care less that he claims that he was under the influence of drugs!

There is no excuse for doing what he did, none period.
The judge should sentence him to the maximum term possible.
Stories like this just turn my stomach.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:21 PM

6. A Basset Hound???!!! Jesus, I grew up with that breed

and currently have my sister's snuggled up to me as I write this. They are the cutest and sweetest dogs ever. You have to have something seriously wrong with you to do that to such a gentle and loving creature. That poor, sweet, dog.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:26 PM

8. Good God

You start to have hope for a society, and then members of it go and do shit like this, and the Steubenville rape case. It's enough to make you lose faith in our country.

Basset Hounds are about the sweetest creatures on earth. What a horrible human being. He deserves to be in the lake of fire in Hell along with that little jerkwad that was laughing about the poor girl that was drugged and raped, Michael Nodianos.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:30 PM

9. Disgusting and scary for any human being in his relationship circle....

Lots of people get drunk, sloppy drunk and don't abuse animals, same with drugs.

There is something psychologically wrong with anyone who'd do such a thing to an animal - who's next? Parents? Wife? Kids? Neighbors?

Best to figure this man out and get him some mental health help now while he's in custody and under some kind of control. Perhaps it's not too late.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:31 PM

10. How do people breed these horrid human beings????

it mystifies me why this world is so full of evil.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:47 PM

11. Society and sports culture has declared that animal muderers should be offered 'redemption' in

the form of adulation, millions of dollars and phone calls from the President about how great you are. How can you wonder how and why this happens?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:03 PM

12. It seems that some judges still are not taking animal abuse

seriously. And the laws need to be strengthened. 3 years isn't enough let alone 16 months. Sick, sick, sick

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:47 PM

13. This is so disgusting it just makes me feel ill.

I'm barely even angry. It's so revolting I actually resent expending emotional energy on it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread