HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Armed Teacher Training Pr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 04:51 AM

Armed Teacher Training Program launches in 15 states

Boy, this is a bad idea on so many levels – teachers are already in high-stress positions — imagine dealing with middle-school-age, hormone-racing kids all day for one thing. Add on the responsibility of being in charge of your firearm, to keep it safeguarded yet accessible on the chance someone is going to come in randomly guns-ablazing? It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, but apparently we’ve got states ready to go forward with this “plan” to address gun massacres in schools. (Think Progress)...

As of Wednesday, the Armed Teacher Training Program has attracted more than 600 applicants from several states including Ohio, Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and West Virginia.

…“No one will be forced to be armed if they choose not to. The strategy is the same as ordinary concealed carry. No one will ever know who is or is not armed. Those who seek to do harm in schools should be met with armed resistance, even before law enforcement shows up. Over time, schools will no longer be considered easy, risk-free targets.”

http://pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com/2013/01/03/armed-teacher-training-program-launches-in-15-states-study-reveals-impact-of-stand-your-ground-on-homicides/

7 replies, 702 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:07 AM

1. Dig deeper... we'll get out of this hole more quickly.

We can add this to the "Can America get any more stupid" pile. Seems there are a lot of people who sound all grown up and serious but when it comes to their priorities, they'll do anything to protect the guns before they consider protecting children. They remain undaunted by gun violence statistics.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:12 AM

2. The zimmerman's of the world are going to become teachers. I can see it now.

let's just get rid of 100% of ALL guns in the street. It is so much easier.
We need more security after that, but we will be safer.
I am 100% for that.

And instead of teachers, better to have national Guard, maybe five in every school or around every school. Let's make this a federal thing, not a local or state.

imho

after Zimmerman showed what allowing private citizens to have guns does. Zimmy is the poster boy for guns in the 2010's. He is America with a gun.

Classify guns as WMD's and treat it in the war on terror.

Let's just hope he gets a jury that is full of people like me(and I am Juror #8).

(btw-is this only in public schools? This may actually be a coordinated attempt by the rightwing extremists to do away with public schools. We know they hate unions, they hate teachers, and they love guns. It might just be and if that is true, then this would be a major 50 state conspiracy that the FBI needs to look into.)

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:16 AM

3. Would you want your child to sit in a classroom with an armed teacher? A gun?

What the fuck is wrong with people?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:19 AM

4. will they be armed with Glocks and OOoozing AK47s and all that stuff too?

How about full body armour?

Will they be taught how to speak in Rambo?

What a ridiculous stupid ass idea that will attract ridiculous stupid ass wanna be heroes.

I WEEP for the stupidity that is taking over.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 08:15 AM

5. It'a against the law in Florida

to bring a gun to within 1,000 feet of a school. Do they intend to break the law and risk being fired?

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #5)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 09:16 AM

6. how does that work if people own weapons that live within a thousand feet how ddo

What about if you drive with a weapon in your vehicle. Where i live all the main roads are close to schools was wondering how florida enforces it. Thanks

Reply to this post

Response to loli phabay (Reply #6)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:25 PM

7. Probably doesn't apply if it is in your home

on your property. However, you probably couldn't walk your dog outside and carry if you are near a school. Driving on a public road past the school? Sure that is done all the time in Florida. Basically, they just don't want school staff with guns in their cars on school property, or parents parking around the school with weapons in their cars.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread