HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Rush Limbaugh is the dise...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:59 AM

Rush Limbaugh is the disease long before FoxNews

His sole purpose back in 91 and 92 was to build up a castle of lies to convince regular working class white guys that their anger should be directed at "Feminazis" and "environmental whackos".

He was doing this in service to the wealthy in our country so regular folk wouldn't pay attention to the ACTUAL cause of their receding livelihood--Republican policies.

Rush was doing this long before anyone knew what a Hannity or a Coulter was.

Now he's just doing the same thing again. Don't let him get to you. We have a right to express ourselves about how all public policy affects us. I'll just point out FICA was and is one of the best social safety net programs ever devised in this country.

Rush is a sick, sick person who has become wealthy spewing lies and hate.

Why should he stop now?

18 replies, 1855 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rush Limbaugh is the disease long before FoxNews (Original post)
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 OP
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #1
Permanut Jan 2013 #2
oldhippydude Jan 2013 #3
Brother Buzz Jan 2013 #4
Amonester Jan 2013 #5
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #6
Populist_Prole Jan 2013 #7
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 #9
Victor_c3 Jan 2013 #8
Populist_Prole Jan 2013 #12
libtodeath Jan 2013 #10
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 #11
Populist_Prole Jan 2013 #13
BumRushDaShow Jan 2013 #14
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 #15
BumRushDaShow Jan 2013 #16
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 #17
Cha Jan 2013 #18

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:07 AM

1. Rush Limbaugh is a social disease

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:37 AM

2. Limbaugh was a pioneer of hate radio..

Not the first, but one of the pioneers. He demonstrated unequivocally that hate sells; and others have followed that formula successfully - Mark Levin, Hannity and OReally, of course, Michael Wiener, Michelle Malkin, Ann Coulter, Lars Larson, Don Imus, Glenn Beck, Pat Buchanan and Mike Huckabee, not to mention the hordes of fundy scam artists spreading hate for all things "unchristian". Not all have used hate radio, of course, hate TV works just as well or better, along with hate books.

Reply to this post

Response to Permanut (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:48 AM

3. keep in mind too all this did not happen in a vacuem....

there has been a lot of deregulation of the airways over the years.. the fairness doctrine end, and in effect regulatory capture of the FCC

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:11 AM

4. Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine and he'd retire immediately

He jump-started his career with the repeal of the Fairness doctrine and exploited it from day one with a ready market of Reagan loving Yahoos in the Sacramento area, years before he went national.

Rush Limbaugh's one weakness: He cannot debate his way out of a wet paper sack and would be gone in a New York minute if he was held accountable for half the crap he says.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 04:08 AM

5. And Murdoch saw the opportunity... and doubled-down on teevee...

tripled-down (or moRe, moRe, moRe) and FAUX $nooz infected the Re$t.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 04:27 AM

6. He is the number one reason the RW is as hateful and paranoid as it is.

He eggs them on, day after day.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 05:02 AM

7. Big time: I ought to know since I used to be a regular listener from the late 80's through late 90's

I was more to the right then; well I was a 20-something stupid "Reagan Democrat" who thought Tom Clancy and Limpballs represented the best of US foreign policy and that what was good for business was good for us. As of yet, I had no experience and observations to compare it to. Yet, even then, his brash arrogance and ridicule of environmentalists, labor, and minorities made me squirm. He definitely got meaner in the early 90's: Much more snarky and bitter. It was also clear to me that the many of his adoring callers/fans "agreed" with him, and laughed and cheered him on in his parodies of what he presented as "the left" did so more out of some kind of neocon solidarity than actual consensus. Indeed, many called and basically said: "Yeah, you have a point but that was just too over-the-top and in bad taste". He would just basically react by either accusing them of being a "seminar caller" or by flatly stating that this show was about what HE wanted to talk about.

For every critic that made it past his call screener ( only the most unfocused or inarticulate ones ) there would be 4 more calls from the most vile sort of neocon writ so large, you'd swear they were paraphrasing off of a checklist: Usually sneering obnoxiously brash financial types crowing how much they made while Limpballs cheered them on about what an excellent testament their "work" was to some entrepreneurial spirit of the USA! USA! USA!

What I'm really telling you all is that I know his absolute vileness all to well due to familiarity. Before Fox and other 24/7/365 news outlets, this is how conservatives ID'd each other. The talking points were there on AM radio: Once they had visual punch and rapid-fire delivery of TV news, the ignorance spread like a fire on a Christmas tree.

I haven't thought about it before, but now when I do, I see lived through it. I'm not glad to say so.

Reply to this post

Response to Populist_Prole (Reply #7)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:51 AM

9. Thank you for sharing that. Very similar to my story

I tuned in for entertainment value as a 20 something and then realized what a complete evil liar he was.

Al Franken further sealed the deal with his book "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" ; )

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 06:27 AM

8. Fortunately, I really believe that the hard right and their media is dying

I think the recent surge in their vileness is a death contraction. They are on their way out and this is/was the last time they'll get a chance to get the things done they hope to achieve.

The average age of a Fox News viewer is 63 years old. 30 years ago, those people were the center of the angry white men who supported and perpetuated the GOP to power during the Reagan years and beyond. Now they are getting old and starting to die off. The demographic is changing and the GOP of 30 years ago (fox news, Rush, and all) are on their way out. Without more angry white men, the GOP is done.

Reply to this post

Response to Victor_c3 (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:34 PM

12. Excellent post. I agree: Every word

I might add that while the old die off, and that there are younger ones aging to take their place, attitudes and demographic changes are causing backfill of the angry reactionaries to happen at a slower and slower rate. The angry white men know this.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:56 AM

10. He is the voice of racisim and hatred

any station and the sponsers that carries his vomit should be boycotted.

Reply to this post

Response to libtodeath (Reply #10)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 12:14 PM

11. It just seems we as a nation have big problems if

He's able to capture such a large national audience.

Reply to this post

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Reply #11)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:54 PM

13. There again though, he's losing his audience too. This isn't the 90's anymore

It's a smaller yet more strident audience for sure. They're getting madder and meaner but the tide is against them I believe.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 02:32 PM

14. He was on before '91

And there were others who preceded him but only "locals" knew about them since about the only "talk shows" being syndicated tended to be during the graveyard times, like Larry King (pre-CNN) and Jim Bohannon who filled in for Larry.

Much of the hate radio started in local markets before Limpballs hit 770 WABC in 1988 (when he bumped Lynn Samuels out of her noon slot) - e.g., Bob "Get off my phone!" Grant in NYC (whose style Mark Levin tries to copy), Irv Homer and Dom Giordano here in Philly, the Rev. Les Kinsolving (on various stations and who is oddly part of the WH Press Corps ), Tom Marr (on air in Baltimore and also commuting for years here to Philly) to name a few...

The bulk of the "older" crowd (e.g., before Beck, Hannity, etc) of what's out there now (including such ilk like Oliver North, G. Gordon Liddy, Bill Cunningham, Neal Boortz, Savage Wiener, etc.), were vomited out and syndicated in the '90s though.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #14)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:03 PM

15. Thanks for the overview

I knew he was on long before 91, but that was when he was hitting his stride with national syndication and was starting to have far reaching effect.

It was definitely something the Bushie buddies helped to happen as part of a strategy.

Reply to this post

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Reply #15)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:28 PM

16. He did alot of mocking "songs" and other parody nonsense back then

mostly targeting Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc., including stuff ranting about affirmative action (ironically a Nixon construct) and politically savvy women...

But over the years, he became more insidious - especially when Clinton was in office and Faux Snooze hit the airwaves. Then it became a talking point gorge-fest across the lunatic fringe media empire. Local stations started dropping what in their minds had become "expensive local talent" and they picked up these cheap syndicated programs. Deregulation allowed conglomerates to get bigger and bigger as they bought hundreds and hundreds of stations that had suddenly been dumped on the market, and the rest is history.

Basically, he and the rest do best under Democratic administrations and he had a hard time dealing with 8 years of Shrub, with 6 of those years with a rethug Congress. In fact, I remember when Poppy was running again (eventually against Clinton) and he announced that he was not going to support him. This is when he discovered the reverse-psychology schtick that he used this election season with Rmoney - all to try to generate "interest" because the rest of his stuff had gotten old and stale - basically all he had was the usual "black bashing" and Nancy Pelosi bashing (and later Clinton & Janet Reno bashing).

I am heartened to see some local stations finally starting to break away from the mindless hate programming and are bringing back some of the local jocks because really, "talk radio" needs to go back to its roots, which was NOT "all hit and run name-calling all the time" and at least discussed local issues and impacts, as well as non-political subjects.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #16)

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 03:49 PM

17. yes, I can see us reverting to local proramming "artisanal radio"

I live just outside of Portland in Beaverton. Our city is brilliantly satirized by Portlandia regarding the movement to less mass consumption and manufacture and distribution on mass scale. We support food carts, local restaurants, local artists, farmers markets, and now other small batch artisans from bread to music.

I could see the country adopting more of the "back to roots" effect. It would be great to see the Limbaughs of the world just fade away.

I want--REALLY, REALLY want to see the first 12 year or more stretch of Democrats in the White House since The New Deal and WW2. We could really accomplish so much.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 04:11 PM

18. kr

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread