HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Unemployment Rate by leve...

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:48 PM

Unemployment Rate by level of Education

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/

3 replies, 681 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Unemployment Rate by level of Education (Original post)
cthulu2016 Jan 2013 OP
OccupyManny Jan 2013 #1
juxtaposed Jan 2013 #2
reACTIONary Jan 2013 #3

Response to cthulu2016 (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:55 PM

1. Trade schools

We really have to get past this "everyone should go to college" meme. I'd like to see more support for trades and the training to support it. All my high school chums that went the trade school route via vo-tech training in high school have good careers as plumbers, electricians and other trade crafts. I got a degree in Philosophy and could never get a decent job. I've been driving a truck for years.

There used to be something called "college material" and frankly too many people aren't.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to OccupyManny (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:08 PM

2. I agree, Trades are under rated I have friends that made just over 100k this year.

Yes they are union, but they work in one of the worst union states in the country. B/C of their training they have contractors sign with there unions. You get what u pay for. I made just over 50k with 3 months off with no pay for the year.

Also 30k+ construction jobs were added in Dec.

Reply to this post

Response to cthulu2016 (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:24 PM

3. Excellent post! I've been reading a lot of comments...

...on news sites trashing college degrees as a waste of time and money. BS! This chart shows the difference a degree can DOES make. Income differentials (of course) are also significant.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread