HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Nominating Hagel Will Sen...

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:16 PM

Nominating Hagel Will Send a Message to Netanyahu

MJ Rosenberg
01/04/2013 4:35 pm

Thus far, President Barack Obama is sitting out the January 22nd Israeli elections. There is no indication about who he hopes to see as the next Israeli prime minister. His noninterference, even disinterest, is not surprising except when contrasted with Prime Minister Netanyahu's open preference for the Republicans in the U.S. election two months ago. One might have thought that a little payback would be in order.

One reason for Obama's apparent indifference may be that there is almost no possibility that Netanyahu will not be the next prime minister. The only question is whether Netanyahu's next government will be as far right (and pro-settlement expansion) as his current government or much farther to the right.
--CLIP
But that is the case in Israel where Netanyahu and former Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman's Likud-Beytenu coalition is being challenged by a new party to its right, the Jewish Home party. The Jewish Home party is led by 40-year-old Naftali Bennett who is running on an openly annexationist platform, in contrast to Netanyahu and Lieberman who, although also expansionist, occasionally pay lip service to the idea of reaching a two-state agreement with the Palestinians.
--CLIP
There is only one way to send a message to Israel that will be heard: it will be by nominating Hagel. It is Israel and the lobby that created the Hagel issue. Why not use it to America's advantage? And Israel's too. After all, it is Israel not the United States that seems to be going over a cliff and, sadly, it is not just fiscal.

Mr. President, nominate Hagel. And fight for his confirmation.
MORE...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mj-rosenberg/nominating-hagel-will-sen_b_2411795.html

5 replies, 649 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nominating Hagel Will Send a Message to Netanyahu (Original post)
Purveyor Jan 2013 OP
gateley Jan 2013 #1
JI7 Jan 2013 #2
AnotherMcIntosh Jan 2013 #3
Purveyor Jan 2013 #4
forestpath Jan 2013 #5

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:33 PM

1. This morning I heard a pundit saying he thought Obama WOULD nominate Hagel if that's who he

wants and to hell with the Repupblicans. I hope he's right.

They're saying one of the reasons Obama is keeping mum about it is because they don't want the Rice debacle to occur again when it's leaked too far in advance.

I'm casting my vote for Hagel. Think Obama will ask for my opinion?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:34 PM

2. wouldn't Hagel's job be more of organizing of the military

rather than foreign policy. this is why the objections based on israel are stupid.

but he does need to answer for his anti gay comments.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:56 PM

3. The message being that Obama likes Republicans and couldn't find a Democrat that he liked?

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:23 PM

4. Clinton must have had that problem too when he selected Cohen as SoD. eom

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:40 PM

5. +1

Reply to this post