HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Rand Paul cries about a p...

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:06 PM

Rand Paul cries about a pat down by tsa

What makes him think he's so damn special? What's good for us is good for them,they make laws for us and then think they don't have to follow them. He is all over Fox crying about his pat down.

43 replies, 3141 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 43 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rand Paul cries about a pat down by tsa (Original post)
butterfly77 Jan 2012 OP
arbusto_baboso Jan 2012 #1
SharonAnn Jan 2012 #37
arbusto_baboso Jan 2012 #42
calimary Jan 2012 #2
baldguy Jan 2012 #3
guardian Jan 2012 #36
baldguy Jan 2012 #39
woo me with science Jan 2012 #4
butterfly77 Jan 2012 #5
woo me with science Jan 2012 #11
ProSense Jan 2012 #12
woo me with science Jan 2012 #18
ProSense Jan 2012 #22
SalviaBlue Jan 2012 #27
stockholmer Jan 2012 #32
ProSense Jan 2012 #8
Mojorabbit Jan 2012 #20
ProSense Jan 2012 #23
Mojorabbit Jan 2012 #24
ProSense Jan 2012 #25
Mojorabbit Jan 2012 #26
ProSense Jan 2012 #28
Mojorabbit Jan 2012 #30
butterfly77 Jan 2012 #31
woo me with science Jan 2012 #34
butterfly77 Jan 2012 #21
Mojorabbit Jan 2012 #10
woo me with science Jan 2012 #13
juajen Jan 2012 #33
Puzzledtraveller Jan 2012 #43
loyalsister Jan 2012 #6
qb Jan 2012 #7
BumRushDaShow Jan 2012 #9
Guy Whitey Corngood Jan 2012 #14
NatBurner Jan 2012 #15
AnotherMcIntosh Jan 2012 #16
ProSense Jan 2012 #17
Pab Sungenis Jan 2012 #19
GoneOffShore Jan 2012 #29
guardian Jan 2012 #35
MrCoffee Jan 2012 #38
LadyHawkAZ Jan 2012 #40
MadHound Jan 2012 #41

Response to butterfly77 (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:07 PM

1. Ah, but RAND didn't agree to the TSA regs...

And yes, far-right "libertarians" think that constitutes a valid excuse.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to arbusto_baboso (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:28 PM

37. BUt he supports the Fed and state in controlling women's bodies?

Reply to this post

Response to SharonAnn (Reply #37)

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:20 PM

42. Don't try to make any sense of it.

What "libertarians" consider fair and democratic is basically getting their way 100% of the time. In that respect, they are no different from conservatives.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:08 PM

2. Shouldn't that read "rand paul whines about..." ?

He's nothing but a spoiled snot-nosed brat shuffling along in his daddy's big-boy pants.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:15 PM

3. You have no Constitutional right to fly in an airplane, moron.

If you don't like it you can walk or change the law. You are a Senator, aren't you?

Reply to this post

Response to baldguy (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:12 PM

36. Talk about a moronic argument

Even if you believe the TSA actually provides some semblance of real security/safety your argument is stupid.
So you you think the TSA should be able to group anyone, anywhere, without probable cause?

You have no Constitutional right to shop at a supermarket, you can grow your own food.
You have no Constitutional right to drive on the public street, you can walk.
You have no Constitutional right to ride a bus or subway, you can walk.
You have no Constitutional right to attend a football game, you can watch it on tv.
You have no Constitutional right to see a movie, you can stay home.
You have no Constitutional right to go to the beach ...
You have no Constitutional right to hike in a national forest ....
You have no Constitutional right to do most anything ....

Wake up and see how this 'security' argument has been used by totalitarian regimes throughout history to subjugate a citizenry.

Oh yeah...the other half of your argument...one Senator can't change the law by themselves.

Reply to this post

Response to guardian (Reply #36)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:59 PM

39. All of your statements are demonstrably false.

And morons can't understand that airplanes flying through the skys just might have different security requirements than a bus, and if you don't want to allow them to happen then you don't get to fly. The problem is libertarian assholes like Ron Paul and his pestilent spawn is THEY DON'T WANT TO HAVE ANY! AT ALL! EVER!

If you've got a problem with the TSA Security Theater, fine. Then you should have the exact same problem with Rand's performance also. Don't even begin to try pretend that it wasn't a performance, either. This scumbag doesn't deserve to get any cover, from anyone.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:20 PM

4. TSA is an abomination.

I don't give a flying fuck who the person is. The government does not have the right to crotch grope and naked scan us on demand.

Shame on anyone who defends this authoritarian, profit-focused, security theater or mocks anyone who protests it.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:23 PM

5. I don't give a flying fuck ...

who it is either. This fucker didn't give a damn until it happen to him it happens to people everyday.

Reply to this post

Response to butterfly77 (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:37 PM

11. June 22, 2011

Rand Paul addresses the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and gives a scathing speech opposing invasive TSA searches. Video at link.

http://dailybail.com/home/congressional-video-rand-paul-reminds-the-tsa-of-the-4th-ame.html

And you know what? It wouldn't matter if he hadn't said a word about this before. Mocking ANYONE for opposing this crap only sends the message that you condone this crap.

But you really should get your facts straight before claiming someone's position (or lack thereof) on an issue.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:42 PM

12. May 2011

Rand Paul, Supposed Defender Of Civil Liberties, Calls For Jailing People Who Attend ‘Radical Political Speeches’ http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/05/31/232182/rand-paul-criminalize-speech/

Kook!

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:03 PM

18. A tired tactic. What you just posted has nothing to do with TSA.

My point about the importance of not defending the TSA stands, and non-sequiturs about Rand Paul do not change that. This particular strategy for defending the indefensible has already been dissected here:

The faux freakout over Ron Paul (and now Rand Paul)
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002154246

We *all* know that Rand Paul and Ron Paul both take ridiculous and indefensible stances on some issues. What you posted here has nothing to do with TSA. Just because Rand Paul has some odious positions does not therefore mean that he is wrong when he opposes TSA groping.

Goodbye, Prosense. You go ahead and post whatever further irrelevancies you like. I think my point is clear.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #18)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:19 PM

22. Wait

A tired tactic. What you just posted has nothing to do with TSA.

My point about the importance of not defending the TSA stands, and non-sequiturs about Rand Paul do not change that. This particular strategy for defending the indefensible has already been dissected here:

The faux freakout over Ron Paul (and now Rand Paul)

...you're using a thread that calls out Rand Paul to post, "The faux freakout over Ron Paul (and now Rand Paul)."

You're hiding behind the TSA to try to prevent criticism of Paul. And here's the "but."

We *all* know that Rand Paul and Ron Paul both take ridiculous and indefensible stances on some issues. What you posted here has nothing to do with TSA. Just because Rand Paul has some odious positions does not therefore mean that he is wrong when he opposes TSA groping.

Goodbye, Prosense. You go ahead and post whatever further irrelevancies you like. I think my point is clear.

What happened to Paul has nothing to do with legitimate complaints against the TSA. He's a little jerk searching for publicity for himself and his kooky father. "Groping"? Paul wasn't even subjected to a pat down. He refused. Liberty!

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:13 PM

27. Wow Rand, what a hypocrite.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:22 PM

32. agreed, this site is becoming a cauldron of so-called left wing 'Know-Nothings', I so miss DU2, many

people (including ones I often disagreed with) seemed to have not come on over. The sheep-herd, rah-rah 'it's our party right or wrong', fuck anyone who strays from the 'WH/DNC corporate-line talking points' mentality is wearing thin and oh so tiresome.

And people wonder why the 2-party sham system is broken...................

I hear the utter rot of 'Obama is powerless to really be a progressive because of the 'reality of the congress', and that 'this is a centrist nation', ergo nothing really is going to go well for a true socially progressive agenda. Well, if this is so true, then one of the KEY ways to pass good things is to make common cause with any member of congress who supports an issue that one believes in. NOT to mindlessly/childishly bash them over things (real or imagined) that are not germane to the common cause issue.

The art of politics appears to be reduced from a Botticelli to a box of crayons, with the only 2 colours left being red or blue.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:28 PM

8. Such

"Shame on anyone who defends this authoritarian, profit-focused, security theater or mocks anyone who protests it."

...disingenuous bullshit. Rand Paul is a kook. You seem to be under the impression that he's against "authoritarian, profit-focused, security."

He and his loony father want to get the government out of security so that they can enhance its "authoritarian, profit-focused" aspect, free-market style.

His PR stunt is fooling no one.

Rand Paul’s ironic incident
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002207091

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:13 PM

20. No the poster is correct

and Rand Paul is correct in his outrage. Everything else you have posted is extraneous to the subject at hand which is invasive searches by TSA. I cannot abide Rand Paul but I totally agree with his sense of outrage. I felt it myself when I had several experiences with invasive TSA searches.

Reply to this post

Response to Mojorabbit (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:21 PM

23. No

"No the poster is correct and Rand Paul is correct in his outrage. "

...Rand Paul is full of shit: http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=213555

Still, I suspect you were the target of his publicity stunt.

"I cannot abide Rand Paul but I totally agree with his sense of outrage."

Yeah, he's a kook, but...

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #23)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:57 PM

24. No, I would feel the sam way no matter who was subjected to this

no matter what their political affiliation.

Reply to this post

Response to Mojorabbit (Reply #24)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:59 PM

25. Huh?

"No, I felt the same way when they detained Sen Kennedy."

Kennedy's name was on a no fly list.

He wasn't involved in a publicity stunt.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #25)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:10 PM

26. I was in the middle of editing my post

The whole security theater we are subjected to at the airport is out of hand. I felt incredibly violated when I was searched and it happened more than once. From Kennedy on the no fly list to children being subjected to physical searches, it has become ridiculous. I grew up in the middle of the cold war with all it's hype and even then nothing like this was attempted. The fact that we allow these searches shows the continued deterioration of personal freedoms that was supposed to be guaranteed to us. It doesn't matter to me if he staged the whole thing. I agree with him that it is an abomination. One can agree with a stance and not the whole package.

Reply to this post

Response to Mojorabbit (Reply #26)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:20 PM

28. None

I was in the middle of editing my post

The whole security theater we are subjected to at the airport is out of hand. I felt incredibly violated when I was searched and it happened more than once. From Kennedy on the no fly list to children being subjected to physical searches, it has become ridiculous. I grew up in the middle of the cold war with all it's hype and even then nothing like this was attempted. The fact that we allow these searches shows the continued deterioration of personal freedoms that was supposed to be guaranteed to us. It doesn't matter to me if he staged the whole thing. I agree with him that it is an abomination. One can agree with a stance and not the whole package.

...of this has anything to do with Rand Paul and the reason people are criticizing him, which you're objecting to.

The fact is most people traveling (including me) have been through a lot worse than not being pat down, which is all his publicity stunt amounts to.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #28)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 05:20 PM

30. I am afraid you are missing the point

This is not about him. It is about the TSA. He just happened to challenge them. It could have been my grandmother.

Reply to this post

Response to Mojorabbit (Reply #30)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:07 PM

31. He didn't give a damn

until it happened to him. Where was his outrage when others have told their stories.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:17 PM

21. Thanks Pro!

No need for me to respond you said it all

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:31 PM

10. I agree. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Mojorabbit (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:44 PM

13. Thank you.

Apparently it's time to post this again:

The faux freakout over Ron Paul

Now the Pauls are apparently a reason to defend the TSA.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:41 PM

33. I flew across country recently, and I was patted down.

Even though I went through one of the new machines that are so easy and thorough. Since I am a sweet little old lady, I thought that would be the end of it; well, evidently sweet little old ladies must carry contraband and/or bombs, for I was taken aside. HOWEVER, a sweet lady did the pat down, and it was totally innocuous. I have been more invaded on a dance floor in my youth, than by this very nice woman. Nothing to it. However, I can see how it would be embarrassing if I had any health problems. I was relieved somewhat that it was done by a woman, but, honestly, don't think it would have bothered me had it been a man. I was glad that I didn't need to worry about my safety in this regard. The flight was great and uneventful. Quite beautiful up in the clouds again. It's been a while.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 02:26 PM

43. Exactly

No level of this intrusion should be tolerated under the guise of security makes it that more loathsome as it is that for which freedom is often traded. A little bit of security.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:25 PM

6. It freaks me out to see him talk

he physically sounds like he is channeling his dad's voice and it looks kind of weird.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:25 PM

7. He should hook up with Jesse Ventura. They can cry in their beer together.

Reply to this post

Response to qb (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:30 PM

9. And they can have Boner lead the chorus of cryers!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:45 PM

14. I don't care for the TSA but that animal he carries on top of his head would've made me

suspicious as well.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:46 PM

15. whatever rand. i got worse trying to get into a wu tang concert

stop all your bloodclaat cryin

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:47 PM

16. Whether this happened to Rand Paul (R), or a Democrat, this shouldn't happen.

The abuses of the TSAs are well known.

In a Senate hearing last October,
Vermont Democrat and committee Chairman Patrick J. Leahy complained that TSA screeners were punishing travelers who rejected the body scanner, stating, “Sometimes you get the impression they almost want to make you miss your plane because you have to go through the pat-down.”

Leahy went further, telling Napolitano that TSA workers had an “arrogant disregard for real Americans who have to put up with this baloney,” and were disconnected from reality, while also criticizing the fact that children have to pass through the radiation scanners.

The Democrat also slammed TSA agents for claiming that it was illegal to film them. “There is no such law,” Leahy stated.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/senator-tsa-forced-me-to-go-through-body-scanner.html

The Senate can take action. Last year, for example, the Senate voted unanimously to make it a make it a federal crime to misuse and distribute images taken by TSA scanning devices.

If it takes a TSA misuse of a Republican Senator to prompt further action, so be it.

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #16)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:56 PM

17. Prison Planet?

"Whether this happened to Rand Paul (R), or a Democrat, this shouldn't happen."

What exactly happened to Rand Paul? He pulled a PR stunt by refusing a pat down and was sent on his way.

He's also a U.S. Senator, which means his trying to equate himself with an average traveler is full of shit!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 03:08 PM

19. Oh, boo frickin' hoo.

Your party created this monstrosity. If you have a problem with it get them to sign off on destroying it.

Until you're willing to do that, shut up and sit down like your party wants us normal citizens to do.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 04:26 PM

29. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

But at least he got his junk touched.

Probably the only ....... No, must refrain from posting snark. It's not kind and the thought police will come for me.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:10 PM

35. TSA is useless

Ineffective security theater for the mindless masses. A huge waste of money and time.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:37 PM

38. TSA pat-downs are "good for us"?

You didn't really mean that, did you?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:59 PM

40. Don't worry, Rand. It could be worse.

You could have had hundreds of government hands in your uterus.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 06:33 PM

41. The man is right on this one, TSA patdowns are an unConstitutional intrusion on our civil rights

Patting down grannies, kids, the disabled, it is outrageous and it is not keeping us secure or protected. Rather it is an exercise of our police state designed to show people just who is in charge, who has the power.

But what's real sad is seeing all the people dismissing this because *gasp* a Republican, with the name of Paul, is bringing it up. I remember the justifiable outrage when this board was in flames because liberals were getting the treatment, now we have members cheering on the TSA because Paul got the same. Hypocrisy much?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread