HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A List of Some Seed Compa...

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:15 PM

A List of Some Seed Companies Owned by Monsanto Or Sell Monsanto And Seminis Seeds

When you purchase seeds be aware of their source, expecting Non GMO seeds and getting Gm seeds would not be beneficial. Listed here is a list of companies that Evil Monsanto owns to profit off of so-called organic Non GMO seeds.

As of 2005, Monsanto owns Seminis. It is estimated that Seminis controls 40 percent of the U.S. vegetable seed market and 20 percent of the world market—supplying the genetics for 55 percent of the lettuce on U.S. supermarket shelves, 75 percent of the tomatoes, and 85 percent of the peppers, with strong holdings in beans, cucumbers, squash, melons, broccoli, cabbage, spinach and peas. The company’s biggest revenue source comes from tomato and peppers seeds, followed by cucumbers and beans.

In large part, these numbers reflect usage of Seminis varieties within large industrial production geared towards supermarkets, but Seminis seeds are also widely used by regional conventional and organic farmers as well as market and home gardeners. Johnny’s, Territorial, Fedco, Nichol’s, Rupp, Osborne, Snow, and Stokes are among the dozens of commercial and garden seed catalogs that carry the more than 3,500 varieties that comprise Seminis’ offerings. This includes dozens of All-American Selections and an increasing number of varieties licensed to third parties for certified organic seed production.

http://www.emergencyhomesteader.com/a-complete-list-of-seed-companies-owned-by-monsanto-and-a-complete-list-of-seed-companies-not-owned-by-monsanto/

25 replies, 3657 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply A List of Some Seed Companies Owned by Monsanto Or Sell Monsanto And Seminis Seeds (Original post)
No Compromise Jan 2013 OP
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #1
april Jan 2013 #2
MineralMan Jan 2013 #3
Bjornsdotter Jan 2013 #4
intheflow Jan 2013 #11
KurtNYC Jan 2013 #5
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #16
jwirr Jan 2013 #6
Retrograde Jan 2013 #7
LancetChick Jan 2013 #8
lunasun Jan 2013 #12
Marrah_G Jan 2013 #19
RomneyLies Jan 2013 #20
MineralMan Jan 2013 #22
handmade34 Jan 2013 #9
dmosh42 Jan 2013 #10
RomneyLies Jan 2013 #13
Marrah_G Jan 2013 #14
RomneyLies Jan 2013 #17
MineralMan Jan 2013 #21
LancetChick Jan 2013 #24
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #15
farminator3000 Jan 2013 #18
bvar22 Jan 2013 #23
druidity33 Jan 2013 #25

Response to No Compromise (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:18 PM

1. People need to pay attemption to the depth and breadth of what Monsanto are doing and intending.

Extremely important!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:33 PM

2. thank you

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:35 PM

3. Yah, lots of bogus articles at that website.

For sure. Learn about the FEMA conspiracy and how the goverment plans to come for your guns and stuff. It's all there.

This is another extreme advocacy website, focused on extreme survivalism. Considering the other material to be found there, I do not trust this information in terms of its accuracy or in any other say.

Always consider the source.

Not everything posted on the Internet is true or worth reading. I believe you have found such a website, and are posting here from it. Please check your sources carefully.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:37 PM

4. Thanks!

Thanks for the link!

FYI....this has been added to the page.

"Johnny’s Seeds, Burpee Seeds, Territorial Seeds and Park Seeds Have Been Removed From This List, They Are Not Owned By Monsanto in Any way; These Companies Do Sell Great Quality Products In Whole. "

http://www.emergencyhomesteader.com/a-complete-list-of-seed-companies-owned-by-monsanto-and-a-complete-list-of-seed-companies-not-owned-by-monsanto/

Reply to this post

Response to Bjornsdotter (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:20 PM

11. Good to know about Burpee.

I've used them for years. Absolutely saddened to see Springhill Nurseries on the list.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:41 PM

5. Ferry Morse is not owned by Monsanto

As of 2005 Ferry Morse is owned by Jiffy, makers of the Jiffy starter kits and based in Norway.

Reply to this post

Response to KurtNYC (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:55 PM

16. which is itself owned by johan g olsen (shipbrokers), which is in turn owned by the pareto group,

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:46 PM

6. Just threw Jungs catalog away.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:49 PM

7. I question some of their information

IIRC, Burpee bought Cook's Garden, yet they have the former listed as non-Monsanto affiliated but the latter as affiliated. A lot of the larger seed companies are owned by a few conglomerates, but I forget who owns whom.

One company they don't list is the mildly eccentric J. Hudson, Seedsman: they have some open-pollinated vegetable seeds that are hard to find elsewhere.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:58 PM

8. Baker Creek Seed company is not only non-GMO...

They are anti-GMO activists. Their main office is in Missouri, but they have a fairly new outlet near me in Petaluma, California, and WOW did I get a lot of messages urging me to support Prop 37, which would have required the labeling of genetically modified ingredients in our food. Great heirloom seeds! Their Ali Baba watermelon is the best watermelon I've ever eaten (the raccoons concur), and was grown from seeds an Iraqi farmer sent the owner because he feared they would disappear during the Gulf War (they did disappear in Iraq). Just thought I'd give them a plug in case anyone here has a garden and doesn't know about them. [link:http://rareseeds.com|

Reply to this post

Response to LancetChick (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:23 PM

12. Right on their website

"We do not buy seed from Monsanto-owned Seminis. We boycott all gene-altering companies."
they also are connected with an heirloom gardening magazine

Reply to this post

Response to LancetChick (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:17 PM

19. Baker Creek is a good one

People don't often understand that the seeds they buy at the local home depot are made so that the plants they grow are sterile.

Heirloom seeds are the way to go. Non- GMO and such a variety of plants that you won't find at the market.

Reply to this post

Response to Marrah_G (Reply #19)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:22 PM

20. Not true

People don't often understand that the seeds they buy at the local home depot are made so that the plants they grow are sterile.

Some hybrids are sterile, but very few are. Only those hybrids which are bred to be seedless are sterile. If they produce seeds, they are not sterile.

Also, many of the seeds you will purchase from any local store are heirlooms.

Reply to this post

Response to Marrah_G (Reply #19)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:30 PM

22. Your information is incorrect. While a few of the seeds sold at such outlets may not

seed in cultivation, that is not true for most of the vegetable seeds sold there. You appear to have been misinformed by someone.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:59 PM

9. thanks for posting...

knowing what Monsanto owns is necessary in order to boycott (which we all should do)

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:02 PM

10. Further down they're saying Johnny's, Territorial, Burpee's and Parks don't belong on the list....

I have always bought from them, as that was always their assurance to seed buyer.(that they don't buy from Monsant or anyone who is distributing their seeds.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:24 PM

13. The list is quesitonable at best

I need a much better source than this. Until then, I'll simply purchase seeds as I always have.

Come back when you've got something more credible, though.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:24 PM

14. Please buy heirloom seeds

By doing so you are helping to keep these species of plants from going the way of the dodo. You only have to buy these seeds once. You can save seeds from your harvest and use them again the following year. This is something not possible with most seeds on the market.

Reply to this post

Response to Marrah_G (Reply #14)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:05 PM

17. Please, learn the difference between a species and a varietal.

All tomatoes are one species. Heirloom Brandywine tomatoes and Hybrid Mighty Sweet tomatoes are both the same species. Neither has been genetically modified. Both were produced via selective breeding. The Heirloom would be a land based race (F0) and would have uniformity in the progeny. You can still plant the seeds of the Hybrid, but there would be no uniformity in the progeny as it is an F1 hybrid and any progeny would be an F2 and would demonstrate the genetic diversity of the two parent land based races (F0) used to breed the hybrid.

Hybrids are desirable for produced traits based upon the genetic makeup of the parent plants and for hybrid vigor. Hybrids are our friends and cannot be discounted in the garden as they can have naturally produced traits, such as resistance to pests and disease, which are not present in both of the parent plants.

That said, there was a single instance of a genetically modified tomato being brought to market. It did not do well, though.

Reply to this post

Response to Marrah_G (Reply #14)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:28 PM

21. I believe you are unclear on the difference between a species and

a variety of that species. And if you are unaware of the difference, then I have to wonder how much I'll need to explain before you understand that what you just wrote makes no sense.

There are thousands of varieties of tomatoes. Each has unique qualities of some kind or another. What you are calling "heirloom" varieties are simple old varieties that used to be more widely grown than at present. Some people enjoy growing old varieties of tomatoes. Certainly it's an entertaining thing to do, and some of them even taste pretty good. However, none of those varieties are of GMO origins. Rather, they were developed using traditional selective breeding techniques. They don't reproduce true from seed, because that's their nature.

Generally what you end up with if you plant the seeds of varietal tomatoes is something a lot like cherry tomatoes. Small fruits.

My mother grew some old frankenstein sort of heirloom tomato this year in her garden. It was pretty weird in appearance and had a severe cracking problem in the fruit as it ripened. The result was unsatisfactory. The picture on the website where she bought the seeds was very nice, but she got no tomatoes to eat from those seeds. It's a good thing she also planted some modern cultivars, so she could enjoy her salads.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #21)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:56 PM

24. What?

What you are calling "heirloom" varieties are simple old varieties that used to be more widely grown than at present. Some people enjoy growing old varieties of tomatoes. Certainly it's an entertaining thing to do, and some of them even taste pretty good. However, none of those varieties are of GMO origins. Rather, they were developed using traditional selective breeding techniques. They don't reproduce true from seed, because that's their nature.

Generally what you end up with if you plant the seeds of varietal tomatoes is something a lot like cherry tomatoes. Small fruits.

Heirlooms are open-pollinated, breed true and are generally better tasting vegetables than hybrids (although there are LOTS of hybrid vegetables that are great tasting) because most modern hybrids are developed not for the home gardener, but for the commercial farmer who needs varieties that ship well and are disease and fungus resistant.

I plant Parisian Pickling cucumbers which were developed in the 1800's and make them into cornichons. Delicious. And I save the seeds and plant them the next year. What I get the next year is Parisian Pickling cucumbers. Heirloom seeds come in every size, shape, flavor and color. They're generally not as disease and fungus resistant as hybrids, or as vigorous and productive, but if you want some great vegetable varieties and a huge selection of them, heirlooms are wonderful.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:43 PM

15. the issue i think isn't only that monsanto owns the seeds, but rather that it owns the genes.

What makes Monsanto different is its US seed monopoly. Well documented by market authorities, Plaintiffs point out that, “Over 85-90% of all soybeans, corn, cotton, sugar beets and canola grown in the U.S. contains Monsanto’s patented genes.”

Through its monopoly, Monsanto has spiked the cost of seeds. In the past decade, corn seed prices increased 135% and soybean prices 108%, the suit asserts. As recently as 1997, soybean farmers spent only 4-8% of their income on seeds, “while in 2009, farmers who planted transgenic soybeans spent 16.4 percent of their income on seeds.”

http://www.dagorret.net/monsanto-and-its-seed-patents-genetically-modified/

it's kind of funny to see dupont crying monopoly, but:

DuPont's report said Monsanto has a monopoly in soybean and corn traits -- genetics that help crops fight off pests and withstand weed-killing treatments. It said Monsanto coerces seed dealers, farmers and others into arrangements that perpetuate a reliance on high-priced Monsanto products.

DuPont estimates that Monsanto, through its branded products and licensing, has 98 percent of the U.S. soybean market, 79 percent of the corn market and 60 percent of the corn and soy germplasm licensed in the United States.

"The ag biotech trait market is firmly in the grip of a single supplier, acting as a bottleneck to competition and choice... it also threatens the global goals for agriculture in the 21st Century doubling the world's food supply by 2050," the DuPont report said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/01/08/monsanto-antitrust-idUSN087196620100108

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:08 PM

18. i think this list is more complete

Last edited Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:48 PM - Edit history (1)

So, to answer the question, “is XYZ seed company safe?”: Well, I can’t say FOR SURE, but I can help you figure it out. Monsanto owns 2 seed brands for home gardeners: Seminis and De Ruiter. Seminis seems to be the main brand for the US & Canada, with De Ruiter in other parts of the world.

skip

Now, what if they are Seminis seeds? What if they a no-GMO variety? It’s up to you if you what you do. You can avoid the company all together, you can avoid just the Seminis linked seeds, you can buy the seeds if you trust they are non-GMO (and probably a few other options). It depends on the “level of separation” you want to create between you and GMO.

http://www.garden-of-eatin.com/2012/03/06/more-on-avoiding-gmo/

i'd go with - don't buy the monsanto seeds from any company that sells them- complain and buy other seeds so they drop the monsanto varieties

it is really complicated- monsanto owning the copyright doesn't mean the seed is GMO, but i wouldn't give them a cent.

the smaller seed companies might drop the varieties, but i doubt burpee would care.

search 'truthout monsanto' on google- there's a page and 1/2 just from 2012!

edit- somebody go ahead and post that other link as a thread, if you want!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:41 PM

23. Monsanto also OWNS a good chunck of the White House.

Tom Vilsack, the Iowa King of GM Corn was appointed to run the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) in 2008.

Google: "Vilsack & Monsanto"

Michael Taylor was appointed to head the FDA (Food & Drug Administration).

Google: "Michael Taylor & Monsanto"

And THAT is only the tip of the iceberg.
The USDA and FDA are a revolving door between our government and Monsanto
and the other HUGE Factory Farm Conglomerates.

I wouldn't object if this influence were counterbalanced with representatives of the Organic, Green, Healthy Foods, Sustainable Multiculture movements,
but they are not. Like the advocates for Expanding Medicare, these voices have been purposely excluded.

You will know them by their WORKS,
not by their rhetoric, promises, or excuses.
Solidarity99!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:02 PM

25. That list is really inaccurate...

Fedco is one of the companies that has been instrumental in SUING Monsanto... they are also one of the first companies to stop selling GM seeds entirely.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/gmo.htm

from their 2013 catalog:

"We do not purchase seeds from Monsanto or any of its subsidiaries"

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread