HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Okay, let's talk morality...

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:07 PM

Okay, let's talk morality..

We see a lot of discussion here about morality, and a lot of that discussion centers around the lack of same, or the twisted and disgusting mutations we see in the wacko world of fundies, Freepers and fact fabricators.

So okay, morality is a huge and complex subject, but here's my two cent observation. I'm seeing a current here within DU of morality at the other end of the spectrum from the wingnuts, something of the best of human nature. I'm seeing it within the posts here, in the consideration for others, the empathy, the kindness and the support offered from one poster to another.

Case in point: Mindpilot's thread from earlier today.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022125292

Disclaimer: not being Pollyanna here, it's clear that not all posts fit the description above. Just a general observation about this community as a whole.

6 replies, 692 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Okay, let's talk morality.. (Original post)
Permanut Jan 2013 OP
dawg Jan 2013 #1
Flashmann Jan 2013 #3
LWolf Jan 2013 #2
CrispyQ Jan 2013 #4
regjoe Jan 2013 #5
PETRUS Jan 2013 #6

Response to Permanut (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:21 PM

1. To me, the Golden Rule is a good starting point for morality.

Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Many religions incorporate that into their teachings, and for good reason.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dawg (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:37 PM

3. the Golden Rule is a good starting point for morality

The problem there is,with people with certain mindsets,the Golden Rule has evolved to something along the lines of: Do unto others before they do unto you,and if they're not paying attention,do it unto them anyway.......

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:31 PM

2. Okay, let's.

It looks like you are pointing out that DU does't always represent the values it pretends to.

You are correct. A favorite activity at DU is to engage in put-downs and derision of the mirror site, FR.

Yet, way too many threads and posts at DU do exactly that: mirror the opposition.

As for the thread you linked?

I don't think it's a good idea to come out with anything too personal on ANY anonymous internet site. There are simply way too many people who use that anonymity to engage in verbal bullying that probably wouldn't, face to face.

That said, I have done so myself in earlier, friendlier years, and suffered few of those kinds of responses. The more mainstream and aboveground DU has become, though, the less friendly a place it is, and the more attention it attracts from those who don't really hold liberal/left values, or want to talk about liberal/left issues.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:38 PM

4. Do no harm.

It's that simple.

on edit: It really isn't that simple. It's easy to say. It's easy to understand. It's not always so easy to do. But to strive for it is better than not.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:43 PM

5. Should morality be legislated?

Reply to this post

Response to regjoe (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:28 PM

6. Is it even possible to write a law that contains no moral premise?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread