HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » An amazing confrontation ...

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:33 AM

An amazing confrontation with cops by a group of women

This is a very good example of how a group of informed women can use the power of peaceful resistance to affect a desired outcome.

This is just one skirmish in a very large war against the abuses by the police. But focus on the faces of the police officers. They know they are defeated and the women confronting them are correct in their assessment of what is happening under the guise of just another traffic stop.

9 replies, 1602 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Jumping John (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:36 AM

1. This is everywhere!!

These abuses happen everywhere and it is not about the color of a person's skin!! If the cops have someone they think is too smart (with today's cops that doesn't take too much) they will hound them until they catch them doing "something". We have so many laws, they can even arrest a parent pulling children in a wagon down the street (the play toy law!!), usually this is saved to bust a kid with a skate board!! They keep this up and soon the kids have a "record" and will not be able to get a job, and then will have to do crime to live. Another step of Jim Crow and closer ot into the highly profittable, for the government, the 1%, prison!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 06:59 AM

2. SOP in our police state. Some places it is a little better, other places it is worse,

but it is everywhere in America.

The very notion of innocent until proven guilty is a sad joke anymore.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:06 AM

3. Everyone should know that they have the right to NOT TO CONSENT to searches

Even if the police is going to search anyway, citizens need to exercise their rights by not consenting.

Not consenting will stop some searches cold and even if some contraband is found, if the a search is done without probable cause, the lack of consent stands a good chance of having that evidence thrown out in court.

Never, ever consent to searches.

Reply to this post

Response to MrScorpio (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:11 AM

4. Yes, true, but my guess is it wouldn't work.

Cop says he smells weed, how are you going to argue at the time?

The answer is that you cannot.

They will create probably cause or claim it if they want and though it may be thrown out, they will fuck up your day and maybe even "find" some planted evidence.

Reply to this post

Response to Bonobo (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:20 AM

5. There's nothing to stop the cops from creating probable cause, they do it all the time

They may even conduct the search without consent. The only defense is to never consent, even in the face of threats and the planting of evidence. Don't argue, merely tell them that you're not consenting.

The cop may search anyway, but that consent (or the lack thereof) could mean a throw out case.

Dealing with asshole cops is just an occupational hazard of being a person of color in this country.

Reply to this post

Response to MrScorpio (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:10 AM

7. "I do not consent to searches."

And if they search anyway, you say "I am complying with your orders but I do not consent to searches."

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:41 AM

6. Four squad cars, 10 LEO's detain 4 citizens for 90 minutes and call it a "routine traffic stop".

Apparently DWB is the most serious crime problem in Portland.

I like the sequence at the 25 minute mark when the tall woman with the bullhorn shamed the police supervisor who couldn't even look her in the eyes.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:39 AM

8. Reminds me of 'Moms United to End the War on Drugs

I am so inspired seeing these moms & others confronting, peacefully, what's going on. Bless them all.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 01:59 PM

9. kick for later. eom

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread