HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ten People ... No Longer ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 09:29 PM

Ten People ... No Longer Members Of Congress

Ten People We Are Grateful Are No Longer Members Of Congress

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/03/1386821/ten-people-we-are-grateful-are-no-longer-members-of-congress/

Jim DeMint

Todd Akin

Ron Paul

Most members of Congress leave politics with a few new laws to their credit if they are lucky, former Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), however, can take credit for reviving generations worth of terrible ideas and building a national movement behind his poor grasp of the Constitution and basic economics. Paul believes the Departments of Energy, Education, Agriculture, Commerce, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security and Labor are all unconstitutional — as are Social Security and Medicare, which he compared to “slavery.” He would return to the gold standard. And he thinks states can simply nullify federal laws they don’t feel like following. Yet it is a testament to the grip Paul has on America’s lunatic fringe that his supporters will whip themselves into a frenzy every time anyone dares to question his ill-considered views. Don’t believe us? Just wait and see what they write in comments on this very post.

Joe Lieberman

Joe Walsh

Now-former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL) got himself kicked out of Congress by continuously bashing his opponent, a female war veteran and amputee who Walsh said was not a “true hero.” The tough-talking Congressman also once said that Muslims are “trying to kill Americans every week,” and once screamed at his own constituents.

Cliff Stearns

Jean Schmidt

Newly former Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH) is another birther departing the House today. On Schmidt’s highlight reel? She once called a Congressman and decorated marine a “coward,” insisted that China is drilling off the coast of Florida, and wept with joy over the (incorrect) news that Obamacare had been repealed.

Roscoe Bartlett

Allen West

Dan Burton
Former Rep. Dan Burton (R-IN) spent most of the 1990s conducting increasingly bizarre investigations to prove that President Clinton was engaged in criminal activity. Burton did not simply buy the conspiracy theory that former Deputy White House Counsel Vince Foster was murdered, he tried to reenact the crime in his own backyard by firing a pistol into a pumpkin. Additionally, Burton’s investigation into the supposed Whitewater controversy was based on research conducted by the founder of Citizens United. Yes, that Citizens United. When Burton wasn’t conducting forensic ballistics investigations using large orange gourds, he was terrified of contracting AIDS — so terrified that he reportedly refused to eat soup at restaurants. Because soup transmits AIDS.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/03/1386821/ten-people-we-are-grateful-are-no-longer-members-of-congress/

22 replies, 1892 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ten People ... No Longer Members Of Congress (Original post)
underpants Jan 2013 OP
Delphinus Jan 2013 #1
spanone Jan 2013 #2
freshwest Jan 2013 #3
octoberlib Jan 2013 #4
derby378 Jan 2013 #5
Aerows Jan 2013 #17
Cha Jan 2013 #6
Liberal_Stalwart71 Jan 2013 #7
Rosa Luxemburg Jan 2013 #8
freshwest Jan 2013 #9
Rosa Luxemburg Jan 2013 #16
Mr.Bill Jan 2013 #10
shanti Jan 2013 #20
Jamaal510 Jan 2013 #11
Iceberg Louie Jan 2013 #12
garthranzz Jan 2013 #13
gtar100 Jan 2013 #14
Aerows Jan 2013 #18
cascadiance Jan 2013 #15
Brother Buzz Jan 2013 #21
smirkymonkey Jan 2013 #19
cascadiance Jan 2013 #22

Response to underpants (Original post)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:16 PM

1. Kind of surprised

they put Roscoe Bartlett in there - he was certainly well-informed on Peak Oil.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:17 PM

2. dan burton....that one alone is precious...k&r

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:32 PM

3. I DID NOT KNOW all of that about him. Good riddance! And Fuck Ron Paul!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:33 PM

4. k&r

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:34 PM

5. I'm glad to see that fucking harpy Jean Schmidt get the boot

From her tangles with Paul Hackett to her "cowards cut and run" line, this representative never ran short of new ways to stay classy.

Reply to this post

Response to derby378 (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:01 PM

17. You and me both

What an awful, awful person she is.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:54 PM

6. I knew about most of the others except those I'd never heard of .. but,

Cliff Stearns' name made my eyes light up! Good! Slimey shit stirring birther..

Republican Rep. Cliff Stearns (FL-03) just lost to Ted Yoho in a primary Stearns apparently didn't feel he needed to bother trying to, you know, win.

You remember Stearns, don't you? He's the House Republican who believes in taxpayer-funded contraception for horses but not women.

He's also the rotten son of a bitch who launched an "investigation" into Planned Parenthood, "requesting reams of financial information and details on how the women's health organization keeps federal funds separate from abortion services," because Republicans hate women's health care sooooo much that they convinced themselves Planned Parenthood, the largest provider of women's health care, must be up to no good. Stearns had no actual evidence of wrongdoing, and thus far, he hasn't found any. Because there is nothing to find.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/14/1120278/-Republican-Cliff-Stearns-loses-won-t-be-able-to-witch-hunt-Planned-Parenthood-anymore#

Although, the "large animal veterinarian" who beat the 12 Term Stearns may be just as bad.. but it won't be Stearns.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:01 PM

7. Riviera is in. Mary Bono Mack is out!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:02 PM

8. Maybe we can get rid of more

Reply to this post

Response to Rosa Luxemburg (Reply #8)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:07 PM

9. Maybe some of them will switch to Independent.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 07:57 PM

16. or cross over to us

I think some could be persuaded

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:10 PM

10. Add Dan Lungren to the list.

When California overwhelmingly passed the Medical Marijuana initiative, He was the state Attorney General. He said he would not recognize the new law because the "voters were tricked."

Reply to this post

Response to Mr.Bill (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:33 PM

20. absotutely!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:43 PM

11. So Ron Paul thinks that the Dept. of Education and Social Security are unconstitutional...

I suppose it would be safe to assume that he attended private schools as a youngster?
Also I might be wrong on this, but if Ron has such a problem with SS, then couldn't he simply refuse to accept any of it? How is he going to say that he believes certain services are "unconstitutional", yet still use them? I know that he paid a little into it, but still...by accepting it, I don't think he's staying true to his libertarian principles.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 12:06 AM

12. Also gone is Rep. Rick Berg (R-ND)

His real estate conglomerate, Goldmark, is universally despised around North Dakota, largely due to their shady practices and eagerness to price-gouge, particularly in the Bakken oil boom of western ND. Because of this a-hole's business practices, North Dakotans who have lived in once small, quiet towns like Williston, Stanley, Tioga, etc for as much as 60+ years have been elbowed out of their homes by strong-armed five-fold rent hiking As a member of Congress, his sole accomplishment, aside from toeing the party line without missing a step, is advocating on behalf of the drone manufacturing industry (which he cheerfully refers to as the "unmanned aircraft industry").

Good riddance, (P)Rick Berg. Congratulations, Heidi Heitkamp!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 12:28 AM

13. The question is: HOW DID THEY GET IN IN THE FIRST PLACE?

I know Congress is an institution, but ... oh, right, someone told those "low information voters" that you'd have to be crazy to be in Congress, and those voters took it literally.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 12:30 AM

14. So good to see Lieberman's name there.

He's been a poison to progressive politics far beyond his expiration date.

Reply to this post

Response to gtar100 (Reply #14)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:02 PM

18. That's another one

I am glad to see go.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:39 AM

15. Add Brian Bilbray there too...

Who won that controversial special election to replace Randy Duke Cunningham where Speaker Hastert swore him in before legal challenges to idiosyncracies in that election could be fought out in court, and later when being heard in court, the judge threw up his hands and said he had no authority to override Hastert's swearing in at the national level.

The North County of San Diego has had to put up with the likes of Duke Cunningham and Brian Bilbray for way too long which was one of a number of big reasons for me moving to Portland from there in 2008. My hats off to them for now finally getting a Democrat like Scott Peters in to represent them now.

Reply to this post

Response to cascadiance (Reply #15)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:38 PM

21. Add Lungren and Bono/Mack to that list, too

Three sweet California victories.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 08:25 PM

19. I am so glad to see Joe Walsh go! Well, most of them, but especially him.

I so hate that guy. I dream of the day when we can get can get rid of the majority of the Republican pigs.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #19)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:16 PM

22. Yeah, maybe we can forget that lousy bum, and remember the real GOOD Joe Walsh instead in the future

... who's name has been polluted by that jerk!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread