HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Oliver Stone's "Unto...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:04 PM

Oliver Stone's "Untold History of the US" - Excellent MUST WATCH show

I'm on ep 8 now...just finished with Nixon's resignation and the fall of Saigon.

This show is excellent - for those who have read "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and "A People's History of the US" some of this may be old hat, but if you haven't, prepare to have your eyes opened.

A few tidbits:

- Henry A Wallace, probably the most Liberal VP in US history is chased off the ticket by Conservative Dems.

- Kennedy, during the last few months of his life, was shutting down the war in Vietnam.

- The recurring theme that the USA is deathly afraid of seeming weak, and will kill anyone, anything, to prove they aren't.

- Gulf of Tonkin incident was 100% LBJ's fantasy

- McNamara held grudges against Vietnam even unto the day he died

- The Vietnam War bombings were to bomb "anything that moved under them" and that all people under planes were to be seen as the enemy

- The US had concentration camps in Vietnam during the majority of the war. These were not POW camps, but literal concentration camps (like the kind the Brits used on the Boers in South Africa) where entire villages were sent to camps and guarded by corrupt SVA troops.

- Eisenhower was DEEPLY worried that he made a deal with the devil with the Military Industrial Complex

- The "boom" we had in the 60s and 70s was all war profiteering

Go see it

20 replies, 1919 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Oliver Stone's "Untold History of the US" - Excellent MUST WATCH show (Original post)
Taverner Jan 2013 OP
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #1
Taverner Jan 2013 #2
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #7
Taverner Jan 2013 #11
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #12
Taverner Jan 2013 #13
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #14
Taverner Jan 2013 #15
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #16
railsback Jan 2013 #3
uponit7771 Jan 2013 #4
Taverner Jan 2013 #5
DonRedwood Jan 2013 #6
Blue_In_AK Jan 2013 #8
Taverner Jan 2013 #9
Little Star Jan 2013 #19
Hestia Feb 2013 #20
pacalo Jan 2013 #10
colsohlibgal Jan 2013 #17
Little Star Jan 2013 #18

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:10 PM

1. The "boom" we had in the 60s and 70s was all war profiteering

Anyone who lived through the period, except for the brain dead, knew that. It was at the heart of the anti-war movement. The recession afterwards was caused by the end to massive amounts of gov't spending. Did Stone address the millions of tons of supplies that were buried?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:18 PM

2. Yes...tho more in the book

In the book, he discusses how many millions in military supplies (tanks, hueys, etc) were thrown into the Pacific Ocean or buried after the War

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 04:19 PM

7. It was awful...

The media actually showed some of the material being abandoned.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:06 AM

11. I visited Vietnam and did a tour of the ex-DMZ

They showed us what was once a secret bases, and said that local scrap collectors have been surviving off the metals left behind for years - - and at one point they even found a buried tank!

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #11)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:21 AM

12. They buried more than one,

plus all types of other vehicles. My brother died there in June of 1969.... I hate the MIC.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #12)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 01:11 PM

13. Me too

It really is the 800lb elephant in the room, and since JFK, no one has challenged it

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #13)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 01:18 PM

14. Cowards in congress....

they are a disgrace in so many ways.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #14)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 01:21 PM

15. I never lost anyone I knew in VN, but a few during the gulf wars

And one of my HS best friends grew up without a father because of VN. And believe me, this guy needed a father more than anyone - something he's paid for his whole life.

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #15)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:19 PM

16. Sad...the loss of someone you know is always so sad.

There were so many lives destroyed by Vietnam. So many came home with horrible injuries, some mental and emotional rather than physical. The military never took responsibility for any of them. Many came home addicted to drugs they had never used before Nam. So many vets are homeless...it is shameful. I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going to the DOD, if they were using them to care for veterans and their families. Our gulf wars and Afghanistan have created the same misery, just less of it.

I'm sure your friend needed his father, but some fathers came home so messed up they were not fit parents. I wish your friend could have understood that. (recognizing that is a lot to ask of a kid)

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:20 PM

3. Its a good show

I wish Stone wouldn't narrate it, though. He has no fluidity in his speech and its rather annoying. Saw his utter destruction of the Reagan myth the other night. Ronald really was a big pile of flaming shit.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 02:00 PM

4. I record every show, mind blowing factual stuff...Kennedy was a pretty good president

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 02:04 PM

5. He was...and Khruschev did all he could to stop WWIII

And both of them suffered for it

Scary how close we came to WWIII and a military coup (or did we have one?)

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 02:06 PM

6. you wrote "Oliver Stone"...I read "Oliver North"... lol quite shocking! I thought you'd gone

conservative cave on us there for a second!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 04:55 PM

8. I'm really enjoying this series.

I was especially interested in Wallace and Truman. I knew nothing of this before. How different the world might have been if FDR had stuck with Wallace in his last term.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_In_AK (Reply #8)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:44 PM

9. FDR wanted to keep Wallace

Back then, the delegates chose the VP as well.

Wallace crafted the New Deal as well as the Second Bill of Rights

Wouldn't that be awesome if we had that?

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:35 AM

19. Ain't that the truth....

Truman seemed to have no core beliefs of his own. Just a puppet for the war mongers. No FDR, that's for sure.

I read your comment in the thread that got locked before I had a chance to respond to you. Yes, Stone did a fabulous job of taking the mask off the RW's hero Ronnie Raygun.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:49 AM

20. I'm late to the game because I had never heard of this series until last Friday.

We have directv (boo, hiss) but they do have on demand links to shows that have already aired, so we've d/l the 10 episodes. My DH & I watched the first 3 last night.

I never knew that Truman was the massive idiot that he actually is and threw in with the most corrupt Senator from SC, who was all for dropping the Bombs even after Japan was effectively surrendering in May. Truman had no business being president and his comments reflect it. He had massive daddy issues and wanted to be the biggest walking dick around.

Yes, the world would be totally different if Roosevelt was well enough to go to the Convention (where was Eleanor?) and fight for Wallace.

It seems that all dirty, nasty politics leads back to the 1944 Democratic Convention.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:20 AM

10. I'd love to see this! Thanks for the heads-up!

I don't get Showtime but YouTube has the episodes. Here's the first episode:

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 5, 2013, 12:09 PM

17. Agreed

The intrigue around Henry Wallace and the 1944 convention is something I'm sure most don't know. Too bad the masses have been duped into a number of other misleading narratives - continuing to this day.

I urge everyone who hasn't seen it to go to You Tube and watch Eisenhower's farewell address from January 1961 - if only we had heeded his warning.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:29 AM

18. Zbigniew Brzezinski is a piece of shit. He wanted so badly to..

get even with Russia he didn't give one crap about the USA.

This is a very good documentary series. It makes me more curious than I have ever been about our history. I'm loving it!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread