HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Child support claim rankl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:18 AM

Child support claim rankles sperm donor to lesbian couple

http://news.yahoo.com/child-support-claim-rankles-sperm-donor-lesbian-couple-014725388.html

(yes original headline)

KANSAS CITY, Kansas (Reuters) - A Kansas man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple so they could have a child said on Wednesday he is shocked the state is now trying to make him pay child support.

William Marotta, 46, donated sperm to Jennifer Schreiner and Angela Bauer under a written agreement that he would not be considered the father of the child nor liable for child support. A daughter, now 3, was born to Schreiner.

But in October, the state of Kansas filed a petition seeking to have Marotta declared the father of the child and financially responsible for her after the couple encountered money difficulties.

Marotta will ask the court in a hearing January 8 to dismiss the claim, which centers on a state law that the sperm must be donated through a licensed physician in order for the father to be free of any later financial obligations. Marotta gave a container of semen to the couple, who found him on Craigslist, instead of donating through a doctor or clinic.

5 replies, 1160 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Child support claim rankles sperm donor to lesbian couple (Original post)
steve2470 Jan 2013 OP
RockaFowler Jan 2013 #1
IDoMath Jan 2013 #2
geek_sabre Jan 2013 #3
HockeyMom Jan 2013 #4
Mariana Jan 2013 #5

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:22 AM

1. I'm confused

Who is suing him?? The State or the Women who have the child?? Because this reeks of Nanny State if it is the State that is suing him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RockaFowler (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:25 AM

2. It's the state

Many states have laws that allow them to go after fathers without the consent of the mother.

Makes me glad I never donated.

Reply to this post

Response to RockaFowler (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:27 AM

3. The state

The women are on his side (based on what I read from a different article).

Reply to this post

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:27 AM

4. "Craigslist"

Problem right there. If the couple had gone through a doctor or clinic, the sperm donor would have been ANONYMOUS, and the state of Kansas would not have been able to sue the donor father. I understand that the problem for the women with that might be that doctors and clinics did not want to inseminate a lesbian couple.

Would Kansas have done the same to a STRAIGHT couple using a sperm donor who broke up? Somehow I doubt it. Sounds to me that the state is trying to send a "morality message" here.

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:01 AM

5. It also costs a bunch of money

to have a doctor do the insemination. That may very well be another factor in their decision to do it the way they did, along with the possibility of discrimination against lesbian couples.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread