HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Willard Romney EARNED 12 ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:28 AM

Willard Romney EARNED 12 TIMES MORE Than Obama, Had Nearly HALF THE TAX Rate

Willard ' The Corporate RAT ' Romney

"...Tax returns released by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Tuesday revealed that his 2010 effective tax rate was almost half of President Barack Obama’s, even though the former Massachusetts governor earned about $20 million more. According to 2010 tax returns (PDF) released by the White House, the president paid $454,000 in federal taxes on $1.8 million earned — or about 25 percent of his gross income. Over the same time period, Romney paid about $3 million in federal taxes on gross income of $21.7 million, a rate of about 13.8 percent.

Estimates released by the campaign showed that Romney expected to pay $3.2 million in taxes for 2011 on $20.9 million income, an effective 15.4 percent rate.“I pay all the taxes that are legally required, not a dollar more,” the candidate boasted during a debate on NBC News Monday. “I’m proud of the fact that I pay a lot of taxes.”

Romney’s returns revealed that he gave $7.1 million in charitable contributions over two years, which included at least $4.1 million to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The nearly 550 pages of documents released Tuesday also showed that Romney had a bank account in Switzerland, as well as investments in other tax havens like Luxembourg, Ireland and the Cayman Islands.

cont'

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/24/romney-earned-12-times-more-than-obama-had-nearly-half-the-tax-rate/

6 replies, 1427 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Willard Romney EARNED 12 TIMES MORE Than Obama, Had Nearly HALF THE TAX Rate (Original post)
Segami Jan 2012 OP
Scurrilous Jan 2012 #1
Uncle Joe Jan 2012 #2
Spazito Jan 2012 #3
GeorgeGist Jan 2012 #4
ProSense Jan 2012 #5
bluedeminredstate Jan 2012 #6

Response to Segami (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:19 PM

1. K & R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:21 PM

2. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread, Segami.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:22 PM

3. Ouch, that's gonna hurt...

I am looking forward to the ad that comes out with these facts, my only question is will it come from Gingrich's SuperPac or from the Democrats, I hope it's both, lol.

Recommended!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:47 PM

4. Most of Mitt is unearned income.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:41 PM

5. Interesting!

Mitt is the gift that keeps on giving.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:49 PM

6. Finally an issue the Dems can frame successfully!

There are many issues the American public just doesn't want to get into the weeds over, but knowing that Mitt Romney is paying a rate much less than the average American is something that gets people's attention. Every mechanic, chamber maid, store clerk, teacher, nurse, etc. will wonder why their paycheck gets ravaged by deductions while this chump doesn't gets taxed at the same rate they do.
It's not about punishing success, it's about fairness. Everyone gets that.

This will dog him for the rest of the campaign.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread