HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Judge Invokes Alice In Wo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 09:29 PM

Judge Invokes Alice In Wonderland In Denying NYT And ACLU Targeted Killing FOIAs - EmptyWheel

Judge Invokes Alice in Wonderland in Denying NYT and ACLU Targeted Killing FOIAs
Posted on January 2, 2013 by emptywheel

<snip>

“YOU’D better not talk!’ said Five. ‘I heard the Queen say only yesterday you deserved to be beheaded!’

‘What for?’ said the one who had spoken first.

‘That’s none of YOUR business, Two!’ said Seven.

<snip>

‘And who are THESE?’ said the Queen, pointing to the three gardeners who were lying round the rosetree; for, you see, as they were lying on their faces, and the pattern on their backs was the same as the rest of the pack, she could not tell whether they were gardeners, or soldiers, or courtiers, or three of her own children.

‘How should I know?’ said Alice, surprised at her own courage. ‘It’s no business of MINE.’

The Queen turned crimson with fury, and, after glaring at her for a moment like a wild beast, screamed ‘Off with her head! Off—’

Alice in Wonderland

<snip>

The Alice-in-Wonderland nature of this pronouncement is not lost on me; but after careful consideration, I find myself stuck in a paradoxical situation in which I cannot solve a problem because of contradictory constraints and rules–a veritable Catch-22. I can find no way around the thicket of laws and precedents that effectively allow the Executive Branch of our Government to proclaim as perfectly lawful certain actions that seem on their face incompatible with our Constitution and laws, while keeping reasons for their conclusion a secret.

Judge Colleen McMahon’s decision denying ACLU and NYT FOIA for targeted killing rationale NYT already published and government repeatedly discussed:
http://t.co/2TykFBTm

<snip>

Link: http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/01/02/judge-invokes-alice-in-wonderland-in-denying-nyt-and-aclu-targeted-killing-foias/

4 replies, 553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judge Invokes Alice In Wonderland In Denying NYT And ACLU Targeted Killing FOIAs - EmptyWheel (Original post)
WillyT Jan 2013 OP
Coyotl Jan 2013 #1
WillyT Jan 2013 #2
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #3
arthritisR_US Jan 2013 #4

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 09:36 PM

1. The epitome of impotence! Strike down the laws!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:47 AM

2. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:53 AM

3. ACLU & nyt invoked FOIA seeking the legal justification for the targeted assassination of people

deemed to have ties to terrorism, including american citizens.

Judge says we can't know the law.

Such rulings cause people to lose respect for their government.

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:54 AM

4. Oh for gawd sake!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread