HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I suspect SOMEBODY is pla...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 05:10 PM

I suspect SOMEBODY is planning a coup against Boehner.

I suspect Cantor has bugs in his ear saying he could be Speaker, and during the Fiscal Cliff debacle he actually believed some of those bugs and he has acted somewhat on the possibility without really floating the idea that he should be Speaker.

Taking on a sitting Speaker can be hazardous to your political future, so Cantor cannot be open.

And whoever is pushing this knows it, too.

The weirdest part is it only takes 17 Rogue Republicans to insure Boehner doesn't stay as Speaker. The threshold for a majority on day one of the 113th Congress is 217 votes, and there are 233 Republicans. 216 votes for Speaker is one vote short.

Now here's the weirdest part of it all. There are reportedly 20 Republican Congressmen determined to insure Boehner loses his gavel. My suspicion is they will all vote for Cantor, even though Cantor will vote for Boehner, on the first ballot.

But here's the tricky part. They will throw Cantor under the bus in favor of what they will see as the "compromise candidate" who will be one of the teabaggiest teabaggers immaginable.

And that will be their fateful mistake, because at that point Pelosi and Hoyer can swoop in on their left flank and insure Boehner keeps his gavel with the aid of the Blue Dogs. That, alone, will make Boehner beholden to the Democratic Caucus.

Never ever underestimate the ability of the teabaggers to shoot themselves in the foot. They've done it enough times that they are all now self-foot marksmen.

6 replies, 672 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply I suspect SOMEBODY is planning a coup against Boehner. (Original post)
RomneyLies Jan 2013 OP
mac56 Jan 2013 #1
RomneyLies Jan 2013 #2
DearAbby Jan 2013 #3
notadmblnd Jan 2013 #4
PennsylvaniaMatt Jan 2013 #5
longship Jan 2013 #6

Response to RomneyLies (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 05:12 PM

1. "Self-foot marksmen"!

Stealing!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mac56 (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 05:18 PM

2. I felt it aptly described the antics of the teabagger

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 05:20 PM

3. This is as high as Cantor can go.

I doubt the weasel could win a state race to be in the senate, national election is out of the question. Have to ask yourself, if this is the golden goose job of your career, would you want it now?

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 05:23 PM

4. Is Cantor a teabagger?

They were just saying on Tweety and I'm paraphrasing -that the baggers are just there to obstruct, they don't wan't leadership of the house because then they would have to do something productive.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 05:27 PM

5. I'm not too sure that the Blue Dog Democrats will bail Boehner out...

Democrats may be united tomorrow in NOT supporting Boehner so that way he can't get to 217 votes and will be in the position where he almost has to resign or do some serious political wrangling among the GOP to get support. The logic behind that - Cantor as Speaker in 2013 would mean Democrats take back the House in 2014.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 05:34 PM

6. To quote Snagglepuss: "Self-inflicted Bar-B-Que."

They cooked their own goose.

Heavens to murgatroyd, Longship exits stage left.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread