HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I'd be lying if I said I ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:50 PM

I'd be lying if I said I was COMPLETELY satisfied, but this deal is a lot better than nothing...

Yes, the $400,000 cap will cost some revenue, but so what? The people in the $250k-$400k range aren't the richest of the rich, and I'd wager that many if not most of them are not among the ones hiding their money in the Cayman Islands, Swiss bank accounts, etc. And as another person pointed out...many of these people will spend most of their money, so it will go back into the economy.

And yes, defense spending needs to be cut greatly....but I'd rather preserve defense spending if that's the price to pay for avoiding draconian austerity measures "across-the-board."

I'm not completely satisfied, but this is really nowhere near the worst possible outcome. And yes, I know I have harshly criticized the Democratic congressional leadership and the President in previous posts...but that doesn't mean I can't look at this pragmatically.

3 replies, 382 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'd be lying if I said I was COMPLETELY satisfied, but this deal is a lot better than nothing... (Original post)
YoungDemCA Jan 2013 OP
NoOneMan Jan 2013 #1
DonRedwood Jan 2013 #3
gateley Jan 2013 #2

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:53 PM

1. Didn't this thing add 4 trillion more to the deficit in contrast to doing nothing?

What's the point of make deficit-hawk driven decisions if you all aren't really serious about addressing the deficit? In the end, you are just making cuts for shits and giggles; is that a sound basis for reforming expenditures and revenue?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NoOneMan (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 01:00 PM

3. can it be done without public support?

public opinion has been moved greatly watching all of this. I think we are only part way through this chess game and who knows what the end game for both sides truly is.

Reply to this post

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:57 PM

2. I'm in total agreement. Ideally, we'd get everything we want; realistically that

never happens.

And I'm in agreement, too, that those bringing in $400-450 aren't the ones socking it away offshore, and probably don't have enough $$$ to take advantage of all the income tax favors bestowed on the REALLY rich. I would have been okay with a $1M cap, but for some odd reason I wasn't consulted.

I didn't even know the UI insurance was in the mix, so I was so happy to hear about the extension.

Yes, we may have given up some things, but I think we gained a lot, too.

And maybe most importantly, the Republicans were brought to their knees. Let's keep it up!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread