HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Shh...the civil war in th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:11 PM

Shh...the civil war in the GOP

Is getting worst, this time over Sandy. Peter King has even threatened to switch parties (on CNN). The rest of the upper tier state Repubs could follow.

This will entrench sides.

Tomorrow's speaker election will be telling. It is the tea party (which has been weakened) against the establishment. But it is also regional.

Get your popcorn...this speaker election will speak volumes as to the state of that civil war and the power of the TP caucus, as diminished as it is.

7 replies, 905 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Shh...the civil war in the GOP (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 OP
malaise Jan 2013 #1
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #4
global1 Jan 2013 #2
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #3
global1 Jan 2013 #5
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #6
wandy Jan 2013 #7

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:13 PM

1. I am hopeful that the Democratic Party

would not entertain his membership.
Let them eat one another - on TV. I'm lovin' it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to malaise (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:41 PM

4. If they have five or six switching

I hope they say yes...

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:31 PM

2. If The Repugs Are Smart It Won't Be Boehner Or Cantor But.....

maybe some "sensible" Repug (if there is such and animal) to take over as the Speaker. The Repugs need to do something that pulls them up from the brink of extinction. When you get the likes of a Peter King say that he would consider leaving the Party - that is devastating. When a Peter King slams the House that his own Party is in control of - that is epic.

If they find a candidate for Speaker that can make them again look somewhat reasonable and workable with Dems and PBO - they might have a chance again with the American People.

Unfortunately - with their clown car of candidates during the primaries and their joke of a presidential candidate with Rmoney and their Tea Party tactics; their pledge to Grover; their sandbagging on this fiscal cliff; their war on women; etc, etc, etc. Basically they've taken the wrong side on most everything that is important to the American People. They are so out of touch. And now this Sandy issue.

They need to make a statement now and that is to put a different face on their Party. That face is not Boehner or Cantor. It needs to be somebody fresh. I guess we'll see how they are going to handle this when they present us with their new Speaker for the next Congress.

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:40 PM

3. I can see a "compromise" back bencher

The problem is the back bench is filled to the brim. You want a nightmare scenario, not outside the realm of possibility...Speaker Daryl Issa.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:59 PM

5. Issa Is A Polarizing Figure....

It needs to be someone else - out of the mainstream of Repug'ism. Someone that can perhaps work to bring some semblance of respect back to their Party.

Really if they don't do something monumental like this - their days are numbered. I don't see how they will be able to hold onto the House in 2014.

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 01:15 PM

6. I can, easy, gerrymandering

Why Issa will not be voted out of his seat until he decides to retire. And why I expect the GOP to keep the House.

Why I mentioned Issa... the GOP right at the moment is in the in your face mood. Issa would be as much in your face as you can get. They will not go for Bachmann, she is too well known, and ran for President and her views make Eric Cantor look like a rank moderate... only because Cantor is not a household name... she is. Cantor is just as bad.

But they are in such a mood.

Tomorrow will be a day to stream CSPAN 1, I know it is in my cable system, but I got no idea where they hid it. If Boehner keeps the speakership, he will do so in the first round.

It has to be a majority vote of the membership, not one party... so games will be interesting. I am sure Dems will vote for Boehner, better the radical you know, than the worst one you might get.

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 02:41 PM

7. The republicans are not out of touch. They understand full well the demands of the people who pay

them. Their current disarray can be easily explained. Because of redistricting the only threat to their current job status will come from primarys. The people they represent (not the people foolish enough to vote for them) will find a more compliant astroturf tea bagger to run against them. This GOP.co employee will be well funded and given every possible advantage to win in the primary.

You are right that they must find a candidate for speaker that will "make them again look somewhat reasonable ". Since October the republicans have stated over and over that they must change their image in order to win elections.
They must become Camemleons.
They must appeal to the Latino voter.

They are probably teaching Eric Cantor Spanish right now.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread