HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » AE's quote of the year

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 09:26 AM

AE's quote of the year

"we are going to evolve through crisis, not through proactive change"

The long version:

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Professor Meadows, 40 years ago you published "The Limits to Growth" together with your wife and colleagues, a book that made you the intellectual father of the environmental movement. The core message of the book remains valid today: Humanity is ruthlessly exploiting global resources and is on the way to destroying itself. Do you believe that the ultimate collapse of our economic system can still be avoided?

Meadows: The problem that faces our societies is that we have developed industries and policies that were appropriate at a certain moment, but now start to reduce human welfare, like for example the oil and car industry. Their political and financial power is so great and they can prevent change. It is my expectation that they will succeed. This means that we are going to evolve through crisis, not through proactive change.

Read more: http://www.theautomaticearth.com/Earth/quote-of-the-year-and-the-next.html

2 replies, 594 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply AE's quote of the year (Original post)
PETRUS Jan 2013 OP
xchrom Jan 2013 #1
djean111 Jan 2013 #2

Response to PETRUS (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 09:27 AM

1. 'not through proactive change.' nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PETRUS (Original post)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 09:28 AM

2. Shock Doctrine.

And as far as I can see, rarely good changes for the 99%.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread