HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DU in 08 - McConnell disc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:38 PM

DU in 08 - McConnell discharged from Army for being gay?

Interesting, in and where the power resides, coming across this older blog, and now today wondering if Mitch is "compromised".

McConnell discharged from Army for being gay?

I don't care if Mean Mitch is gay but it sure would explain a lot of his innate nastiness if he is forcing himself live a lie his to keep his cushy GOP position. Lunsford is giving him a serious run for his money - and the blood red Conservatives won't like the idea that Mean Mitch is "one of those" sinners. I'm generally not one for "outing" anyone but when you are a mean, corrupt, chinless, hypocritical GOP asswipe I waive my own rule.

Mitch McConnell: Was he discharged from the Army for being gay?
Posted by -Chuck
Friday, 24 October 2008

Louisville, Ky - America's top gay activist blogger, Mike Rogers, went public today with his investigation into Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (KY). Rogers called on the Senator to release his military records -- including documentation of the reason McConnell was discharged from the Army in the midst of the Vietnam War -- one day after the Lexington Herald-Leader reported that Kentucky's former Attorney General Greg Stumbo came forward with questions of his own for McConnell.

(snip)

Rogers has discovered inconsistencies in McConnell's public Army records and is the first investigative reporter to note the differing answer to a section of the records titled "Transcript of Court Martial." While every other section of McConnell's records without information states "n/a," this particular section uniquely states, "not on file." "Alone," said Rogers, "this court martial information may be insignificant, but it warrants further investigation when coupled with my other research."

(snip)

The records Rogers has been able to obtain indicate that McConnell enlisted in the U.S. Army in March of 1967 and was abruptly discharged four months later for a minor medical condition. His discharge was expedited by the claim that he needed to be released quickly to attend New York University. NYU records indicate that McConnell never applied to the school, and at the time of his discharge he had already earned a law degree from the University of Kentucky. Rogers has also reviewed phone records showing a flurry of calls from the office of McConnell's patron in the U.S. Senate at the time, Senator John Sherman Cooper, in the days immediately preceding McConnell's discharge. The calls abruptly stopped shortly before McConnell was discharged.

In addition to repeatedly refusing to publicly address his military record, Senator McConnell makes no mention of his time in the service on either his Senate or campaign websites.

Senator McConnell's story just doesn't add up," said Rogers. "I encourage him to consider facts and the truth his allies, not a problem. A speedy release of his records and openness with the public is the only thing that will help clear this matter up once and for all."
The Human Rights Campaign has given McConnell a zero rating for his anti-gay rights voting agenda in the Senate. His uneven treatment of the sex scandals of Republican Senators Larry Craig and David Vitter received a great deal of attention last year. The New York Times reported that McConnell threatened Craig with a far-reaching ethics committee investigation and embarrassing public hearings about his sexual encounters if Craig refused to resign. McConnell also stripped Craig of his positions on powerful Senate committees. Vitter, who paid for services from a female prostitute, faced no similar reprimands from the Senate Minority Leader.

http://atomic.blackwednesday.org/index.php/The-Sections...

10 replies, 1765 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply DU in 08 - McConnell discharged from Army for being gay? (Original post)
SugarShack Jan 2013 OP
PDJane Jan 2013 #1
CherokeeDem Jan 2013 #2
jberryhill Jan 2013 #3
LiberalFighter Jan 2013 #4
Brother Buzz Jan 2013 #6
TexasBushwhacker Jan 2013 #9
Brother Buzz Jan 2013 #10
DollarBillHines Jan 2013 #7
benld74 Jan 2013 #5
fadedrose Jan 2013 #8

Response to SugarShack (Original post)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:39 PM

1. What about Lindsey Graham?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:43 PM

2. Someone I know from Louisville...

swears this is true; told me everyone knows it. I have no way of knowing the truth and could not care less if he is, other than, once again, the sheer hypocrisy.

But we've come to expect that from these Republicans.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:50 PM

3. "six months active service at Fort Knox"

Good thing we had him keeping Charlie from getting the gold.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:02 PM

4. How does one get discharged from the Army after only 4 months?

How does one get drafted/enlisted in the Army if one has a disqualifying medical condition?

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalFighter (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:17 PM

6. As I understand it, he weasled into a champaign unit THEN gamed the system

He had a minor medical condition that was totally treatable: he opted to not have it treated until he was clear of military obligations.

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 10:32 PM

9. His Wikipedia says "optic neuritis" n/t

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 10:48 PM

10. Yes, and treatable with steroids

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalFighter (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 09:05 PM

7. Maybe one gets caught in a "compromising situation".

In '67, that would get you bounced in a heartbeat.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:15 PM

5. Quoting - Laugh In - Verrryyyyy Innnnterrrrrrrrrresssssssssssssssting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 09:46 PM

8. That would a problem only for his wife

if she's female . . .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread