HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Good article on school s...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 06:46 PM

Good article on school shootings and training and arming teachers

Teaching the Teachers
The challenge for law enforcement agencies and officers, then, is to overcome not only the attacks taking place in schools, but to first overcome the denial in the minds of mayors, city councils, school administrators, and parents. Grossman said that agencies and officers, although facing an uphill slog against the denial of the general public, must diligently work toward increasing understanding among the sheep that the wolves are coming for their children. Police officers must train and drill with teachers, not only so responding officers are intimately familiar with the facilities, but so that teachers know what they can do in the event of an attack.

But you try to prepare for violence — the thing much more likely to kill our kids in schools, the thing hundreds of times more likely to kill our kids in schools — and people think you’re paranoid. They think you’re crazy. ...They’re in denial

http://www.policeone.com/active-shooter/articles/2058168-Lt-Col-Dave-Grossman-to-cops-The-enemy-is-denial/

4 replies, 622 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Good article on school shootings and training and arming teachers (Original post)
former-republican Jan 2013 OP
ZRT2209 Jan 2013 #1
lynne Jan 2013 #2
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #3
Butterbean Jan 2013 #4

Response to former-republican (Original post)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:09 PM

1. do teachers get to have a "conscience objection" to guns in their classrooms?

if pharmacists and doctors can get a conscience objection...teachers should too

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:25 PM

2. Actually, an excellent article. Didn't see anything about arming teachers -

- but saw much about training teachers in the same fashion as they are trained for fire drills. Makes perfect sense. The arming had to do with police officers. At least, that's the way I read it.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:41 PM

3. Good article

far too many people either forget the Beslan school massacre or never heard of it

People also don't seem to realize that:

"Nationwide, at least 23,000 schools — about one-third of all public schools — already had armed security on staff as of the most recent data, for the 2009-10 school year, and a number of states and districts that do not use them have begun discussing the idea in recent days. " 6th paragraph here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/us/nra-calls-for-armed-guards-at-schools.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Course most, if not all, are in the high schools. And yes I am aware that Columbine had an armed police officer assigned to the school, he was off site when the Columbine shooting occurred

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm

I will also note that the Newtown, CT police department has 1 Youth Services officer and 2 School Resources officers, the school resource officers were assigned to the middle school and high school:

http://www.newtown-ct.gov/Public_Documents/NewtownCT_Police/Roster%20Folder/roster2

Certainly no teacher should be forced to carry a gun, but any teacher willing to meet a certain standard* should be allowed to carry a gun concealed.

*A minimum standard would be the state/town police level of marksmanship, use of force training and firearms retention training.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:02 PM

4. Yanno, I just saw a commercial on t.v. for another movie that hollywood has

barfed out called "Bullet to the Head." People are screaming at each other about gun sales and arming teachers and thus and such, but I swear, the assholes in hollywood have a lot to answer yet nobody is demanding their heads on a platter.

I think a good start to solving the problem would be stopping all these stupid shoot-em-up blow-em-up movies that the idiots keep barfing out on the big screen. We can arm teachers all day long, but our kids are saturated with gun culture and violence just walking around in everyday life here.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread