HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This is dangerous

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:57 PM

This is dangerous

My local paper declared the person of the year for my locality a couple of Mercs who were killed in Bengazi.

If these two chaps were Marines no way that this would happen. So chew on this, they have named a couple men who died under contract, the persons of the year. If they did die a few years before as SEALs no such honor.

I am disgusted.

22 replies, 1887 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply This is dangerous (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 OP
Odin2005 Jan 2013 #1
Nye Bevan Jan 2013 #2
cliffordu Jan 2013 #19
11 Bravo Jan 2013 #20
Nye Bevan Jan 2013 #21
gateley Jan 2013 #3
Arctic Dave Jan 2013 #4
gateley Jan 2013 #6
Arctic Dave Jan 2013 #7
A Simple Game Jan 2013 #13
gateley Jan 2013 #14
A Simple Game Jan 2013 #18
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #5
Lady Freedom Returns Jan 2013 #22
freshwest Jan 2013 #8
magical thyme Jan 2013 #9
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #10
magical thyme Jan 2013 #11
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #12
zappaman Jan 2013 #15
slackmaster Jan 2013 #16
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #17

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:58 PM

1. Yup. I have no respect for mercenaries.

They kill for money, not their country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:03 PM

2. Is there a big difference between someone who joins the military for a pay check

and a "mercenary"?

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:41 PM

19. If you don't understand the difference,

then you have no idea what the word 'loyalty' means.

I pity your soul for your ignorance.

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:45 PM

20. Yeah, there is. And it's embarrassing that you don't understand it. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to 11 Bravo (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:56 PM

21. Interesting. People keep telling me that there is a big difference.

But nobody wants to tell me what that difference is.

Reply to this post

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:07 PM

3. I'm torn on the merc issue. They are predominantly veterans,

and too many of them haven't been able to get jobs. I hate that they, as you say, kill for money and not county, but maybe being in the service/war has somehow made that "okay" for them.

As always, I feel I can't really judge unless I'm walking in their shoes, but from my view, it's not all bad. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, though.

Reply to this post

Response to gateley (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:37 PM

4. Her is the problem with that.

If they still wanted to do what they are doing they could have stayed in the military.

Most of them do mercenary work for the paycheck and the lack of oversite. That makes them douchebags and they can GFO.

My two cents.

Reply to this post

Response to Arctic Dave (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:42 PM

6. Yeah, I see your point, too -- but still gotta say until I'm faced with the

decisions they are, I can't in my heart judge them all as douchebags. That's an individual honor everyone has to earn for him/herself. Not that my judgment matters either way, really.

Except Republicans. I hate 'em all.

Reply to this post

Response to gateley (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:47 PM

7. We are in agreement. ;)

Reply to this post

Response to gateley (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:17 PM

13. Do you hate all Republicans? Or just the elected ones?

I know Republicans and Conservatives that are really nice people. They don't blanket hate people. I think I must like them better than I like someone that just has a "hate 'em all" attitude.

You really don't know any nice Republicans? Are you just throwing the word hate around or do you really hate people you don't know, never have and never will?

Do you think your and others attitudes may contribute to the problems we have now?

Reply to this post

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #13)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:49 PM

14. Gee, I don't know -- do you suppose my attitude contributes to the antics of the Republican

officials causing the problems we have now? Since it seems you're itching to judge/blame me, I'm not sure I really care if you answer that or not.

And really, do you honestly think I seriously have a hate 'em all attitude? Really? I'm sure I didn't say it to be amusing.

And good for you for liking them more than you do people like me! If only I could make such a pronouncement of someone I've never met, don't know, and have never seen the results of his/her work. I stand in awe of your power of discernment.

Reply to this post

Response to gateley (Reply #14)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:30 PM

18. If you said it to be amusing, I'm sorry I didn't catch it.

Maybe I didn't catch the meaning of the smilie. In my self defense, there are several on DU that say it and mean it.

I believe hate does contribute to our problems, people don't respond well to it and can sense it even when it is hidden. So yes if you did mean that you "hate 'em all" then I would consider that you are part of the problem. I feel the problem is bigger than a few Republican officials. We have had Republicans all of my life and I have known several and still know several, most are just like everyone else. Very few have a "hate 'em all" attitude. Most have all the same problems the rest of us have. Our big differences are in what the solutions should be.

As for my power of discernment, I know what I read. if you don't mean it, why contribute to the bad feelings between our two major parties by saying it.

I did give you a courtesy you didn't extend to me, I answered your questions. Don't feel bad most people on DU don't answer my questions.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:41 PM

5. Mercs need war as part of the business plan

You want to be an embassy guard, stay in the marine corp.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 09:10 PM

22. That is a dilemma.

Their are many that once they leave the corp. to find that they really have problems taking those skills into the civilian market. And from what I gather from talking to many vets, it is not that easy to get back in. And then they start to look at it this way, better to go mercenary than starve.
I can understand that in a way. There have been times lately I have been considering going Paparazzi. It is, in many journalism circles, a type of mercenary. It will make me look bad to others in the journalism field and make it hard for me to get back into real journalism. But the pay is so nice for the right pic! And to get that pic can be dangerous for me and the person I am watching.
It hurts to think of going to the dark side, but when you are between a rock and a hard place, you start to think hard.
Being without, literally, make you really think about your ideals and if you can live up to them and live. People really should not have to be put into that position, but the world is not helping.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 03:35 PM

8. What a lot of people don't understand is we have two separate economies in this country.

Those in other economy that most of us don't live in, are paid well for what they do while robbing us. Thus they vote for the robbers of the rest of us. They do have a sense of community among themselves and their comrades and benefactors, are not stupid, poor or ill-informed. They know exactly what they are working daily to create here.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 05:03 PM

9. Can you write an LTE and ask them straight out

Why did Navy Seals and Marines, who died to protect their country, not merit the same honor as mercenaries who died for a large paycheck?

Reply to this post

Response to magical thyme (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 05:12 PM

10. The ideology they are working under it is obvious

Marines and SEALS are scum, since they are public employees. The same person working for the private sector has pulled himself by bootstraps, randian hero and all.

Oh and my local fish wrap would never ever run such a story.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 05:34 PM

11. well, they certainly won't publish it

if you don't write it!

It won't take much longer than to post about it here. Oh, and while you're at it, you could copy it to other, competing rags. Just in case *they're* interested

Reply to this post

Response to magical thyme (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 05:36 PM

12. You mean the paper I write for

Look what media matters has to say about the Union Trib...it will be clear why a waste of ones and zeroes this would be.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:51 PM

15. not to mention

that your keyboard is where words go to die.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:53 PM

16. It's obvious that "Papa Doug" Manchester did that with the intent of embarrassing the President

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #16)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:00 PM

17. Yup

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread