HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dems To GOP: No Debt Limi...

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:26 AM

Dems To GOP: No Debt Limit Negotiations — Any Default Is On You

Dems To GOP: No Debt Limit Negotiations — Any Default Is On You

Brian Beutler

To sell Senate Democrats on a controversial plan the White House negotiated with Senate Republicans to avoid the fiscal cliff, Vice President Joe Biden had to repeatedly reassure frustrated members of his own party Monday night that President Obama and Democratic leaders will not negotiate with the GOP to raise the debt ceiling in February or March.

“We also talked about something I feel strongly about is that we should tell the Republicans on debt ceiling we are not negotiating any political agenda in return for raising the debt ceiling,” Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) told reporters in the Capitol after a long Democratic caucus meeting during which Biden pitched his deal. “That if they start doing that, we’re saying, ‘We’re not discussing it. … If you want to let the debt ceiling lapse, and we don’t pay our bills, that’s on your shoulders. We’re not negotiating cuts, revenues or anything else for the debt ceiling. That should just be done automatically. Don’t come and tie the two together because we’re not going to talk to you about that.’”

<....>

But that very willingness to make concessions to avoid the consequences of inaction worries Democrats, some of whom believe the White House lacks the resolve to dismiss the GOP’s debt limit demands. A senior Democratic aide said some members have “diminished confidence” in the administration’s willingness to stare down the Republicans in two month’s time.

A Senate vote on the deal is expected early Tuesday morning. The vote is being delayed while the Congressional Budget Office analyzes the actual budget impact of the proposed legislation, which was still being drafted at press time. The House will consider the bill after Senate passage and could vote on it as early as Tuesday afternoon. Its prospects for House passage are less certain.

- more -

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/dems-to-gop-no-debt-limit-negotiations----any-default-is-on-you.php

Oh brother.

13 replies, 1418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dems To GOP: No Debt Limit Negotiations — Any Default Is On You (Original post)
ProSense Jan 2013 OP
MannyGoldstein Jan 2013 #1
JEB Jan 2013 #2
octoberlib Jan 2013 #3
ProSense Jan 2013 #6
DJ13 Jan 2013 #4
bama_blue_dot Jan 2013 #5
LineLineNew Reply .
Doctor_J Jan 2013 #11
octoberlib Jan 2013 #7
Report1212 Jan 2013 #8
W_HAMILTON Jan 2013 #9
Doctor_J Jan 2013 #10
bama_blue_dot Jan 2013 #12
Doctor_J Jan 2013 #13

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:29 AM

1. And monkeys might fly out...

Whatever.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:30 AM

2. I don't like the smell

coming from that "deal".

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:33 AM

3. Reid's on the Senate floor C-SPAN 2 nt

Tom Harkin is giving them hell. " Permanent tax beaks for the rich, temporary tax breaks for the middle class."

Reply to this post

Response to octoberlib (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:38 AM

6. "Permanent tax breaks for the rich, temporary tax breaks for the middle class"

Great point.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:33 AM

4. Never negotiate with hostage takers

until the next hostage crisis.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:35 AM

5. I have a gut feeling that the President has a plan in mind..

The only way the Democrats would feel so confident would be if they were told that there is another way to raise the debt ceiling without Congress.. It just seems that in their statements, they are hiding something..

Reply to this post

Response to bama_blue_dot (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:05 PM

11. .

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:42 AM

7. They're voting now. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:52 AM

8. I don't believe it

Pretty sure Obama repeatedly said he wouldn't budge on 250k. This is laughable.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:57 AM

9. Oh, brother, is right.

(1) If they are going to be so steadfast in opposition to negotiating over the debt ceiling, why weren't they that way to begin with back when the Republicans started using the debt ceiling as a bargaining chip?

(2) You can't (or won't) stand up to the Republicans when it comes to the income tax rates / thresholds you campaign and won on, but you will stand up to them if it comes down to letting the country default on its obligations, something that would be unprecedented? Are you kidding me?

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:04 PM

10. This only works if the president digs in

He's good at scolding Dems, not so much the Repukes. Here's hoping

Reply to this post

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:12 PM

12. So why would the beloved

Senator Sherrod Brown be absolutely certain about it?? Is he as naive as you think President Obama is?

Reply to this post

Response to bama_blue_dot (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 03:59 PM

13. Because he's a good Dem and a true believer

You might have missed this:

But that very willingness to make concessions to avoid the consequences of inaction worries Democrats, some of whom believe the White House lacks the resolve to dismiss the GOP’s debt limit demands. A senior Democratic aide said some members have “diminished confidence” in the administration’s willingness to stare down the Republicans in two month’s time.

and this

Many Democrats were also unhappy with a measure that will index the $5 million estate tax threshold to inflation, which over time will eat up revenue gains secured by increasing the tax from 35 to 40 percent.

and the actual quote from Sen. Brown

“I know they talk about doing it again, but we’re simply not going to negotiate with those kinds of tactics, because it’s clearly damaging.”

probably means the Senate, not the WH. Like I said, I am hoping, just as I hoped for a Public Option, Wall Street prosecution, an end to torture, and an end to the Bush tax cuts.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread