HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Who will be the first chi...

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:20 AM

Who will be the first child sacrificed in 2013 to America's bloodthirsty 2nd and 9th amendments?

All we've heard since Newtown from the RBKA-ALEC-NRA crowd is that this is the BEST THAT WE CAN DO because of this amendment or that amendment or the Tea Party's twisted grip on the house. Which child will die tonite or will it be tomorrow?

"Look at ya Yeah, take a look in the mirror now tell me what you see Another satisfied customer in the front of the line for the American dream I remember when we was both out on the boulevard Talkin' revolution and singin' the blues Nowadays it's letters to the editor and cheatin' on our taxes Is the best that we can do Come on
Look around There's doctors down on Wall Street Sharpenin' their scalpels and tryin' to cut a deal Meanwhile, back at the hospital We got accountants playin' God and countin' out the pills Yeah, I know, that sucks ??? that your HMO Ain't doin' what you thought it would do But everybody's gotta die sometime and we can't save everybody It's the best that we can do
Four score and a hundred and fifty years ago Our forefathers made us equal as long as we can pay Yeah, well maybe that wasn't exactly what they was thinkin' Version six-point-oh of the American way But hey we can just build a great wall around the country club To keep the riff-raff out until the slump is through Yeah, I realize that ain't exactly democratic, but it's either them or us and And it's the best we can do
Yeah, passionely conservative It's the best we can do
Conservatively passionate It's the best we can do
Meanwhile, still thinkin' Hey, let's wage a war on drugs It's the best we can do Well, I don't know about you, but I kinda dig this global warming thing"

Read more: STEVE EARLE - AMERIKA V. 6.0 (THE BEST WE CAN DO) LYRICS

11 replies, 889 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to MightyMopar (Original post)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:28 AM

1. What does the 9th Amendment

have to do with anything?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:28 AM

2. Here on the West Coast it's not even 2013 yet and here you are...

holding a child up hoping to catch a bullet with it in order to score political points.

I don't understand people like you, I really don't.

Reply to this post

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:33 AM

3. Statistically it's going to happen very shortly. Hoping it's not going to happen won't stop it

Reply to this post

Response to MightyMopar (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 01:42 AM

4. Well gee I hope you're the lucky one who finds out the child's name and gets to be the first

to share it with DU, seeing as how it's right up there with the New Years greetings you're passing out.

Oh wait...

Reply to this post

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 03:25 AM

7. Or be like you and pretend it never happens! Great plan!

Reply to this post

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 09:21 AM

8. If this child was born in Japan, the EU, Oceania, Canada or China, it probaly wouldn't have happened

But here in the USA were told over and over "there's nothing we can do"

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 02:29 AM

5. <benign, non-opinionated, non-controversial, non-judgmental, informational title goes here>

Kinda sick of getting cliff'd tonight so I thought I'd drop by and read this post. A valid, if somewhat loaded question is raised. I'm a Steve Earle appreciator, so the "Best We Can Do" notion resonated. A couple of valid replies were made.

But I wondered, how/when will we answer the question? So I searched on "u.s. gun deaths 2013" and got an interesting hit on Slate: How Many People Have Been Killed by Guns Since Newtown?

The wondrous thing about the Internet is that if you have a question, you'll invariably find the someone else has had the same question and come up with an attempt to find the answer. In this case,

Since the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14, we at Slate have been wondering how many people are dying from guns in America every day.

That information is surprisingly hard to come by. The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, for example, has a tally atop its website of “people shot in America.” That number, though, is an estimate, based on the number of gun injuries and deaths recorded by the CDC in 2008 and 2009, the most recent years for which statistics are available. It seems shocking that when guns are in the headlines every day, there’s no one attempting to create a real-time chronicle of the deaths attributable to guns in the United States.

Well, someone is. Since this summer, the anonymous creator of the Twitter feed @GunDeaths has been doing his best to compile those statistics, tweeting every reported death he can find. He was inspired, he told us in a phone interview, by the Aurora, Colo., shootings and simply wanted to call daily attention to the toll that guns take. Now Slate is partnering with @GunDeaths to create this interactive feature, “Gun Deaths in America Since Newtown.”

The link has an interesting interactive map for displaying gun deaths.

At the moment, the last child shooting victim was:

James Lee Parker
Killed in Wake Forest, North Carolina
Killed on 12/28/2012

There's the obvious disclaimer:

Of course, this data is incomplete. Not all reports get caught by @GunDeaths’ news alerts or his followers. Suicides, which are estimated to make up as much as 60 percent of gun deaths, typically go unreported. Nevertheless, we at Slate want to assemble this data as best we can.

No 2013's yet. But you can find out. It's the best we can do.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 03:20 AM

6. This is an extremely morbid thread.

Reply to this post

Response to Initech (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 04:25 PM

9. Our first American child killed was at 12:30 AM last night, just 30 minutes into 2013

Reply to this post

Response to MightyMopar (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 06:51 PM

10. More sad news. A death from an earlier shooting.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/maryland/eastern-shore/Girl-10-injured-during-New-Year-s-incident-dies-at-hospital/-/15158402/17982838/-/13w7w58/-/index.html

BALTIMORE 1:47 PM EST Jan 03, 2013 —A 10-year-old girl who was hospitalized with a critical head injury after police said she was hit by gunshots that rang out on New Year's Eve has died.

Cecil County Sheriff's Office deputies were called to a home in Elkton around midnight Tuesday, where they said a bullet fell from the sky and lodged in the girl's brain.

Officers said several people were outside watching fireworks when the girl collapsed. People at the scene said they had no idea what happened her.

Police are trying to figure out the caliber of gun used and have been going door to door. Neighbors told 11 News that authorities have even confiscated some guns.

(paraphrasing) Who'll be the next to die for a mistake?

Reply to this post

Response to DreamGypsy (Reply #10)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 07:47 PM

11. Maybe instead of the first baby born on the new year, we should institutionalize the first

child KILLED on the new year...

That way, everyone could see it and reflect...or not...on what has happened to us...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread