HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bush creates Homeland Sec...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 01:48 PM

Bush creates Homeland Security which now consumes 3.5 percent of budget, welfare is 7%

Republicans go on and on about welfare queens driving us into debt and ruining the nation

meanwhile Bush created this ridiculous program only a Nazi could dream of, violating every foundation this country was built on,

and these violations of our Constitution are now continued with the full backing of Democrats and generally understood to be a

untouchable financial requirement whereas social service cuts are always on the table.

5 replies, 496 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bush creates Homeland Security which now consumes 3.5 percent of budget, welfare is 7% (Original post)
No Compromise Dec 2012 OP
ROBROX Dec 2012 #1
No Compromise Dec 2012 #2
Politicalboi Dec 2012 #3
Igel Dec 2012 #4
cthulu2016 Dec 2012 #5

Response to No Compromise (Original post)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:42 PM

1. CUT D.O.D TO THE BONE

The sad news that DOD is so big is a CRIME. This country should cut DOD to less then 25% and spend the money on a better future like DOE (not nuclear weapons) NASA, EPA, HUD, etc. This country would be SWEET.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:46 PM

2. 43 Billion Discretionary funding + 16 non= 59 Billion per year Bush has saddled us with

nt

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 03:18 PM

3. And all for

NOTHING.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 03:37 PM

4. Who told you welfare was 7% of the discretionary budget?

And why are you even pointing us to the discretionary budget breakdown?

Welfare and other entitlements are non-discretionary spending. Not one cent of welfare is reflected in that pie chart.

I have no idea what "welfare spending" is. That doesn't mean, "I don't know the amount spent." No, I don't know what constitutes "welfare spending." Some sites say that "welfare" spending for 2011 was over $1 trillion, but I don't know what they're calling "welfare". TANF alone? Including SNAP? Other food assistance programs? SS payments? Medicare? SS payments?

No clue. "Welfare" is a grab bag of programs and not a single program, and what's in it depends upon who's talking. Everybody's crystal clear about what they mean until they start listing programs. Then they want to either shove everything in, even things they didn't know existed, to make sure that the #s as big as possible to complain about Obama or they want to be all minimalist about it to make sure that the number is as small as possible to complain about those other "people". Whatever facts there are must first be spun otherwise they can't get through the polarization filter. It makes the word utterly useless as anything but a scare word or a substitute for a jingoistic banner unless you define it when you use it.

Mixing and matching TANF (2010) and SNAP figures (mid-2012) as sort of a smallest possible number for "welfare", I come up with a total of $94 billion for those two programs. It's a low-ball number to be sure.

Obama's HHS request for 2011 was $83 billion, so "welfare," even with that minimal definition, is greater than the HHS budget request.for the current FY.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 03:58 PM

5. That's a trick stat. FEMA is under Homeland Security

A lot of existing stuff was folded into Homeland security, so it isn't all spending Bush created, and is not all spending we could do without.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread