HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Paul Krugman- Instant Bac...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 10:56 AM

Paul Krugman- Instant Backstabbing: The real reason Obama should never change/cut SS and medicare

Paul Krugman- Well, that was quick. For some time it has been obvious to anyone paying attention what the true GOP budget strategy was: demand that Obama make proposals for entitlement cuts, and then

theyíll just pronounce themselves unsatisfied with whatever he comes up with, and are indeed very likely to campaign in 2014 attacking him for whatever cuts take place.

But it turns out that they didnít even wait for any actual budget deal. Hereís Marco Rubio yesterday (via Ezra Klein):

The first part is, of course, simply a lie: numerous reports tell us that McConnell did in fact make precisely that demand. And letís remember this when Rubio makes his run for the White House: we already know that heís an unprincipled liar. But anyway, you see how it will go ó and why the whole notion of settling matters fiscal with a Grand Bargain was always crazy. You canít make big deals with a totally untrustworthy negotiating partner.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/instant-backstabbing/

(emphasis mine)

3 replies, 798 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Paul Krugman- Instant Backstabbing: The real reason Obama should never change/cut SS and medicare (Original post)
n2doc Dec 2012 OP
MannyGoldstein Dec 2012 #1
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #2
senseandsensibility Dec 2012 #3

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 11:25 AM

1. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in an alternative reality

then I read Tom Tomorrow and I'm sure of it.

There is so much crazy and evil on both sides. Wow.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 11:31 AM

2. Krugman really is from Trantor

He can read writing that's written in flaming letters ten miles tall when nobody else in the M$M can even see it.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 12:12 PM

3. Both sides want their hands on the SS money so bad they can taste it...

but neither wants the blame. So are Dems so stupid that they will find a way to cut SS and get all the blame? Scary.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread