HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » It's time
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 02:34 PM

It's time

For some kind of action DC will listen to.

Nope, voting ain't enough. Perhaps a national strike is in order. The ruling elites won't listen otherwise, am afraid.

Sorry, frustrated with the political system.

14 replies, 1617 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply It's time (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 OP
iemitsu Dec 2012 #1
truedelphi Dec 2012 #5
timesamillion Dec 2012 #2
Curmudgeoness Dec 2012 #8
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #3
truedelphi Dec 2012 #6
2naSalit Dec 2012 #4
abelenkpe Dec 2012 #7
DeSwiss Dec 2012 #9
Jack Sprat Dec 2012 #10
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #12
Jack Sprat Dec 2012 #13
zappaman Dec 2012 #11
Rex Dec 2012 #14

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 02:57 PM

1. I'm feeling that way too.

The first thing I read this morning was the AOL headline, "Obama Orders Pay Raise For Congress, Joe Biden". While the headline is misleading, it still upset me, since if any American doesn't deserve a pay raise, its congress. Then i spotted, "Lindsay Graham: I Will Destroy America’s Solvency Unless The Social Security Retirement Age Is Raised." here on DU. The man is criminal and should be shunned by all decent folk. What gives one man the power or right to insist that all Americans lose benefits they paid for so that a few can live the high-life off of what they steal from us?
I have an overwhelming dread of any deal to avert the "fiscal cliff". I fear Obama will bargain away too much in an effort to strike a deal.
Gun deaths and gun sales are still in the news and I'm certain that our government will do nothing significant to stem either the deaths or the sales.
The list of depressing headlines goes on and on.
How did we get so fucked up?
But, regardless of how I am feeling this moment, I wish you a happy new year.
Let us hope that those working to make the world a better place, for all humankind, see some successes in the coming year.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to iemitsu (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:37 PM

5. In a real democracy, and not the oligarchy we now have,

Both of the Grahams would be in a cell, and they would be meeting Tim Geithner, wearing the same style orange jumpsuit, in their prison lunchroom, every day for the rest of their lives.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:02 PM

2. I agree

Yeah, I agree. My friend and I were discussing what we think the root of the problem is in Washington, and we came to the conclusion that a big part of the blame can go to lobbyists. Some of these advocacy groups like the NRA and health insurance lobbyists buy the votes they need.

So, maybe we have to fight fire with fire here: create our own huge, powerful lobby group that combats the spending of those other groups. Eventually people will see how ridiculous it is that we can literally auction the votes of politicians, and then maybe we'll finally see some kind of reform to that system.

Reply to this post

Response to timesamillion (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:23 PM

8. I don't know how we could create a more powerful lobby than AARP,

and they are getting nowhere in trying to influence Washington. Sounds like a good idea, but I don't see this working nearly as well as executing lobbyists on the White House lawn. (Not that I'm advocating that. )

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:20 PM

3. The Time Has Come Today

Can't Put It Off Another Day

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:53 PM

6. Really enjoyed the "Time" video. And I never can remember who

Created that hit - so glad that was mentioned also.

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:37 PM

4. It's been "time" for a while now.

And I agree, nothing gets the attention of the powerful like the serfs rising up and saying "no more of this". And the only way for that to be the message is for everyone to stand firm and stop feeding the beast that oppresses us.

Good on you, and may this coming year bring the changes that need to be made in the realm of humankind.

Thanks for speaking up. Happy New Year, Happy New Era of Humankind.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:21 PM

7. Agree

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:23 PM

9. K&R n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:34 PM

10. This isn't that hard.

The overwhelming majority are on our side this time. They have wanted taxes raised for the 2% for some time now. They oppose cuts to SSec in any form including chained CPI.

It seems the only opposition is the republican congress and the owned media. Not even their usual repub voters are in their corner on this.

This should be easy. It looks to me like the majority oppose any cuts to SS and Medicare. There is much more opposition to Medicaid and all kinds of foreign aid, AND even cuts to Defense. This is just my observations, of course. But it sure looks that way.

Reply to this post

Response to Jack Sprat (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:56 PM

12. On the surface it is true

but they are really not doing what we the people want done. This is what is so damn maddening.

So we need to find a way to grab their attention. Remember, most of the members of congress are millionaires, so a chained CPI or any other thing that really affects a person on SS, matters little to them.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:14 PM

13. For clarification,

I don't agree with cuts to Medicaid myself.

I'm just saying it appears that more of the overall population seems more inclined towards cuts to Medicaid, Defense, and Foreign Aid than social security and medicare.

Conceding cuts to Medicare and Social Security is the path to maximum resistance, as opposed to the others. I'm guessing this remains why Congress stays so unpopular and so despised across the board.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:53 PM

11. We could take a page from occupy

and bang some pots and pans.
Wait...what are we trying to do again???

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:18 PM

14. We didn't have a true plutocracy until the Special Interest groups

and corporate lobbyists showed up and gave Reagan his marching orders (which like a good puppet he did). Start with them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread