HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dennis Kucinich on the &q...

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:46 PM

Dennis Kucinich on the "Fiscal Cliff": Why Are We Sacrificing American Jobs for Corporate Profits?

Democracy Now! ‏@democracynow

Rep. @Dennis_Kucinich on the #FiscalCliff: Why Are We Sacrificing American Jobs for Corporate Profits? http://owl.li/gp8Pc
Retweeted by Sam

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/12/28/dennis_kucinich_on_the_fiscal_cliff

As President Obama meets with congressional leaders at the White House in a last-ditch effort to reach a budget deal, we speak to outgoing Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich about the so-called fiscal cliff. If an agreement is not reached in time, $600 billion in automatic spending cuts and tax increases will go into effect on January 1. But the tax increases would not necessarily be permanent — the new Congress could pass legislation to cancel them retroactively after it begins its work next year. "We’ve been going in the wrong direction," Kucinich says. "Why haven’t we been talking about stimulating the economy through the creation of jobs? We’ve seemed to accept a certain amount of unemployment as being necessary for the proper functioning of the economy, so that for corporations it will keep wages low. That is baloney. We’re creating our own economic vice here that is entrapping tens of millions of Americans."

(Video at the link.)

10 replies, 875 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dennis Kucinich on the "Fiscal Cliff": Why Are We Sacrificing American Jobs for Corporate Profits? (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 OP
msongs Dec 2012 #1
AZ Progressive Dec 2012 #2
MotherPetrie Dec 2012 #3
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #8
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #4
iemitsu Dec 2012 #5
jody Dec 2012 #6
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #9
woo me with science Dec 2012 #7
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #10

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:47 PM

1. lol the repubs and repub lites agree on many things there, dennis nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:48 PM

2. Because Corporatism is a Religion

and Mammon is God, and the people are the sacrificial lambs.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:57 PM

3. How can he have been a congressman and ask that question?

He had a front row seat to the answer to that question.

Reply to this post

Response to MotherPetrie (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:15 PM

8. A rhetorical question

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself." -Galileo

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:58 PM

4. When corp profits go up, the price of corp stock goes up. I wish that I could believe that neither

our DC politicians nor those related to them are stockholders in companies that will benefit by an increased destruction of the American work force.

I wish that I could believe that none of them will benefit by investing in companies whose profits will go up when more manufacturing goods are made in countries other than the United States.

I wish that I could believe that none of them will benefit by the mandatory purchase of health insurance from private health insurance companies.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:23 PM

5. Congress ought, by law, to be forced to legislate

in ways that benefit most of the citizens. And they ought not be allowed to determine what that is by opinion. Legislative decisions ought to be supported by statistical evidence and if they can't be justified this way the laws should be thrown out.
Both the President and congress are ignoring plenty of hard evidence about how to fix the economy. In fact, so much, so, that it is obvious that they don't want to do what's right.
There is no excuse for that behavior on the part of elected officials. Americans need to pay more attention to the motives behind our elected official's actions (or lack of action).

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:25 PM

6. Because capital follows profits, consumers follow low prices, and low wages attract capital. Next ?

Reply to this post

Response to jody (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:18 PM

9. Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. -- Albert Einstein

I think you may have pulled a squeaker on old Al..

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:19 PM

10. kr

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread