HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A reality check to both N...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:17 PM

A reality check to both NRA spouting talking points and those wanting to ban all

Gun ownership.

Those who want to ban all guns are as fringe as the lets arm all crowd.

Sadly the lets arm all crowd has a better lobbying arm right now...and if you insist make my mandatory side arm a Glock .40

When the lets grab all guns crowd gets even one tenth the lobbying power as the NRA, wake me up...hope soon to be honest. That day we might actually come with reasonable gun control, which does not equal gun banning.No, they are not taking your guns away...that is an NRA inspired talking point

what we need is legislation that will allow both gun owners to keep most of their toys (sorry bushmasters do not belong in civilian hands, but you want that Glock for self defense, knock yourself silly) and those who want to be protected from people they fear, rightly or wrongly, living together.

But let's make this clear, none is grabbing your guns. Nor are jack booted thugs, wearing blue helmets, coming to take your guns away. Those who want that are just as fringe as those who want zero regulations and more gunz.

Now do point to the multiple elected members of the House and Senate who post on DU who have actually said they want to ban gun ownership...oh wait...we don't.

Civics 101. I might want to declare unicorns the national pet of the US, but as a citizen all I can do is contact my delegation...for the record, my legislator will ignore this as fast as banning gun ownership in the US, and repealing the Second. Short of a civil war and a new Constitution, this ain't gonna happen.

Politics is the art of the possible.

You want to even the odds on the control side, well give 'em some money to the counterparts of the NRA that is.

10 replies, 937 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply A reality check to both NRA spouting talking points and those wanting to ban all (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 OP
sellitman Dec 2012 #1
slackmaster Dec 2012 #7
sellitman Dec 2012 #10
NYC_SKP Dec 2012 #2
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #4
mainstreetonce Dec 2012 #3
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #5
NYC_SKP Dec 2012 #6
bhikkhu Dec 2012 #8
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #9

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:39 PM

1. I'm of the Ban Them All crowd

I'll take what I can get now and support politicians who have the balls to do what's right in my opinion. Right now starting with limiting clips and assault weapons is a good start.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sellitman (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:08 PM

7. But it's a safe bet you wouldn't really ban them all

You wouldn't disarm the police.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:59 PM

10. That could be a goal further down the road.

yes.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:41 PM

2. So, your line is between the Bushmaster and the Glock?

Generally, Nadin, I agree with your post.

However, many here truly ARE calling for the banning and removal of ALL firearms, others for all semi-autos (including the Glock .40), and some for all handguns.

If one can own one Glock then one can own seven, and then one can walk into an elementary school and shoot and kill pretty darn near the same number of innocent little ones.

So, without taking one side over the other, I'm just pointing out that there's a spectrum of firearms.

How do you arrive at putting the line right there between a Bushmaster .223 and a Glock .40?

FTR, I'm fine with limiting magazine capacity, full background checks, waiting periods, and a ban on many military style weapons that I think aren't necessary to fulfill the second amendment.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:45 PM

4. How many of those calling to ban all guns

Will be listened to by congress? They got as much of a chance as that unicorn farting in the forest.

That is your reality check. They are fringe, just as the NRA we need moar gunz crowd for the good guys to take out the bad guys, like in the movies, cause we all know the movies are real life, really.

And no, we don't need bushmasters in civilian hands, sorry. You like that ammo for hunting. There are other weapons NOT in the AR family, chambered for it. The same goes for the Saiga (civilian AK family)

Let me add, I used the Glock 40 since gun owners are claiming we want to grab their home self defense weapons.

It's not my line...it is theirs.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:41 PM

3. Who

are the counterparts of the NRA?

Reply to this post

Response to mainstreetonce (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:46 PM

5. The Brady campaign among others.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:05 PM

6. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:11 PM

8. Ever heard of "Glock Leg"?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Glock%20leg

...one amusing little reason that those might not be the best choice for self defense.

The lack of a safety makes it very easy for people to shoot themselves when holstering or drawing the gun. Raising the strong possibility that more people have accidentally shot themselves with Glocks than have successfully defended themselves with Glocks.

Reply to this post

Response to bhikkhu (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:33 PM

9. Alas this is not about a specific weapon

I could have used the Peacemaker, yup, that 1870s for all we care.

Minutiae discussion is not what is needed in this reality check.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread