HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How 9 banks are exposed t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 04:23 PM

How 9 banks are exposed to $200 trillion in derivatives (infographic)

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-24/wall_street/31390709_1_pension-funds-derivative-exposure-bailout

Demonocracy created a great infographic detailing the exposure of the nine banks with the largest exposure to derivatives. Combined, these nine banks are exposed to $228.72 trillion in derivatives, a shockingly high number.
That number, as Demonocracy states, is worth approximately three times the entire world economy.

Demonocracy

This picture explains the graphics used for the rest of the infographic. A truck is worth one billion, a big tower is worth one trillion, and so forth.

Demonocracy
BNY has a derivative exposure of $1.375 Trillion dollars.
Considered a too big to fail (TBTF) bank. It is currently facing (among others) lawsuits fraud and contract breach suits by a Los Angeles pension fund and New York pension funds, where BNY Mellon allegedly overcharged the funds on many millions of dollars and concealed it.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-24/wall_street/31390709_1_pension-funds-derivative-exposure-bailout#ixzz2GNsABwqw

19 replies, 1417 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply How 9 banks are exposed to $200 trillion in derivatives (infographic) (Original post)
Ian62 Dec 2012 OP
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #1
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #3
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #5
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #6
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #7
MrMickeysMom Dec 2012 #4
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #8
MrMickeysMom Dec 2012 #10
HughBeaumont Dec 2012 #11
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #15
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #18
banned from Kos Dec 2012 #19
L0oniX Dec 2012 #2
Demo_Chris Dec 2012 #9
Nevernose Dec 2012 #12
PasadenaTrudy Dec 2012 #13
Berlum Dec 2012 #14
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #16
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #17

Response to Ian62 (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:33 PM

1. It really pisses me off that this, and so many other stories like it, can't buy any attention here.

Last edited Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:25 AM - Edit history (1)

This will have a greater effect on every person here than all the shootings, republican shenanigans, and bogus cliffs put together, but everybody's eyes just glaze over and the world's greatest villains just go on.

This is what your grand children will be paying for. This is the crisis that requires immediate attention. but it can't even get a single reply.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:16 AM

3. DU follows the herd and the herd ain't into finance right now

Guns and fiscal cliff seem to be the competing herd obsessions du jour with a seasoning of whining and whining about whiners.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:31 AM

5. The herd, or flock as I think of them, is never interested in anything that really matters.

I've been watching this here for years, and for many more years over at DailyKos. The more relevant the issue, the less they know or care and the more willing they are to acknowledge any bullshit excuse that is put out to justify their fantasy.

But I thank you for noticing this. It really does help to know that there are a few people watching, even if we are ignored.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:42 AM

6. You can learn a lot here but not by reading just the popular threads

The popular threads are usually about emotion of one sort or another, fact based threads don't get as much traffic.

I don't really have the hang of writing popular threads, I'm not in tune with the emotions here so much I guess.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 01:00 AM

7. I've noticed. There seems to be an inverse relationship between relevance and traffic.

Although I do seem to have a facility for pissing people off, especially those that are comfortable repeating nonsense that they've heard, but have never bothered to think through.

I may just be a geezer with a faulty memory, but I swear that I remember a time when people would discuss things and inquire into new ideas that they were not familiar with before solidifying their own opinions.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:22 AM

4. You said it...

It's as if some little distraction says to most American's... "Here! Look at the shiny object while we get you fitted for your nose ring!"

I'm disgusted as well.

Reply to this post

Response to MrMickeysMom (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 02:20 AM

8. It's like we were deliberately bred to be the biggest suckers on earth.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 09:44 AM

10. Nature? Nurture?

I think the human race has all the genetic code required to evolve with human conditions, but what controls the rate of evolution sure is interesting.

Are there entities in control of the message every day? Are there "distracters" to prompt an at large society to behave a certain way? Yes, I think that's worked quite well in the form of unfettered capitalism.

People become sheep because the message is controlled. Except, some of us don't because we continue to question. We are nurtured to think for ourselves.

Who's gonna win? For goodness sake, I sure hope it's the population at large who holds stedfast to questioning every controlled message being shoved down our collective throats by these fucking fascists.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 09:49 AM

11. Don't I know? Every thread I post about finance/the wealthy sinks like a damned stone.

Go to my journal. 0 replies. 1 reply (usually me kicking). 2 replies. On. Down. The line.

I don't understand it. Is it because everyone already knows the wealthy are ruthless criminals and have relegated themselves to not being able to do anything about it?

Reply to this post

Response to HughBeaumont (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:43 AM

15. Try cross posting in the Economics group.

That's is where most of us folks interested in the economy and bank therft and etc hang out.
I rarely have time to post there anymore, but do continue to read there.

Reply to this post

Response to HughBeaumont (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:59 AM

18. I don't think so because whenever a conversation about economics or policy does spring up

90% of the replies fall into two categories; Defending the status quo through rote regurgitation of whatever nonsense can be googled, or something that screams of mind boggling ignorance regarding the whole topic.

You can't explain enough in this format to make a cogent argument. If you you do the reply is invariably, TLDL. I think this is why so many of the defenders of capitalism are the same people that buy the household budget argument that the political parties and media generally use.

We have quite a few people here that do understand the basics and a few of them are really knowledgeable, but too many of them make their living within the system to have an honest debate.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 07:55 AM

19. because it is not too important

1- $200 trillion is the notional value
2- the vast majority are benign interest rate swaps
3- no bank has failed because of derivatives (AIG did though - an insurance company)
4- derivatives are necessary for business to function

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:09 AM

2. Thanks for posting this info ...but DU isn't interested if it goes against what Obama...

is or isn't doing. The bank criminals for the most part go unpunished and instead are rewarded in the name of saving the economy/country. The war criminals also walked away from their crimes. All that remains is a facade of a government by and for the people where Dems and repukes play a continuous game of good cop bad cop and only seek the votes of the stupid and cater only to the corporations and greed runs amok.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 03:23 AM

9. They just need less regulation, then everything will be fine (nt)

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:30 AM

12. Just giving it a kick

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:34 AM

13. K & R'd

I follow Matt Taibbi on these issues. He's on twitter, too.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:39 AM

14. This sonofabitchin Banks (R) are dodging taxes and screwing America

It is part of the 1% Republican thrust to steal from and screw over the USA.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:44 AM

16. Really good section at the link.

bookmarking, with thanks for posting this.

rec

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:54 AM

17. "J.P. Morgan is also the largest owner of BP"

Wow..I had NO idea of that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread