HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Occupy group is on verge ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:31 AM

Occupy group is on verge of buying office building for housing for homeless

I'm glad to hear Occupy is still out there, turning their energy into long term projects. neighbors are upset though

Occupy Madison about to buy Fordem Avenue building to house homeless

A volunteer-run group that has been providing services to Occupy Madison is on the verge of quietly buying and turning a Fordem Avenue office building into housing for homeless individuals.

"We're estimating that there are between 300 and 400 people out camping in various parts of the city and not going to shelters at night," says group member Brenda Konkel, of the need for such housing.
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=38612
Occupy Madison Inc., which just incorporated, plans to purchase the office building at 2132 Fordem Ave. on a land contract, says Konkel, a former member of the Common Council and a longtime housing advocate. The group needs to raise $75,000 for a down payment and construction costs. It has raised $32,000 so far without fundraising publicly but plans to reach out for donations soon, she says.

The group is also seeking $275,000 in city funding through the Affordable Housing Trust Fund. But Konkel says if the group does not receive a loan from the city, it has "five years to figure out other financing."

Occupy Madison, which began as a protest encampment downtown, morphed into a homeless community on East Washington Avenue that has been relocated several times by the city and county and now resides in Token Creek Park.

Konkel says the group's short-term plan is to operate as a mission house, but the long-term goal is to offer single-residency occupancy (SRO) units to some 20 to 25 homeless individuals. Operating as a "mission house," where occupants are not charged rent, is a permitted zoning use, so city approval is not needed. But the group would need to get a zoning change to operate as an SRO, says Konkel.

5 replies, 991 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Occupy group is on verge of buying office building for housing for homeless (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 OP
sabrina 1 Dec 2012 #1
Harry_Scrote Dec 2012 #2
SidDithers Dec 2012 #3
whathehell Dec 2012 #4
undergroundpanther Dec 2012 #5

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:21 AM

1. Great, I heard they were planning to start buying property. They are doing some

incredible work all over the country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:43 AM

2. They are ministers

... Of Yehosua. Bless these folk. May the wind be at their feet.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:47 AM

3. Occupy has found it's purpose as an aid agency...

Well done.

Sid

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:14 AM

4. Wonderful news...I hope it happens for them.

This is tops on my "to do" list if I ever win/make a lot of money.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:58 PM

5. Occupy

May they someday,occupy the senate,house and white house...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread