HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Amount of homeless and at...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:18 AM

Amount of homeless and at-risk Iraq and Afghanistan vets doubles in last two years.

IVAW ‏@IVAW

Amount of homeless and at-risk #Iraq and #Afghanistan vets doubles in last two years. #Veterans

http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/number-of-homeless-at-risk-veterans-doubles-1.202007?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+starsandstripes%2Fgeneral+%28Stars+and+Stripes%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Retweeted by OccupyPhoenix

The number of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans who are homeless or at risk of losing a roof over their heads has more than doubled in the past two years, according to government data.

Through the end of September, 26,531 of them were living on the streets, at risk of losing their homes, staying in temporary housing or receiving federal vouchers to pay rent, the Department of Veterans Affairs reports.

That's up from 10,500 in 2010. The VA says the numbers could be higher because they include only the homeless the department is aware of.

The increase arrives as President Obama's goal of ending homelessness for all veterans is showing some results.

4 replies, 504 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Amount of homeless and at-risk Iraq and Afghanistan vets doubles in last two years. (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 OP
Bernardo de La Paz Dec 2012 #1
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #2
unhappycamper Dec 2012 #3
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #4

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:12 AM

1. We use "number" when referring to individuals, to real people. "Amount" is for aggregates like sand.

Your point in the body of your thread is good.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:51 AM

3. k&r n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:03 PM

4. Kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread