HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gun Control Support Soars...

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 AM

Gun Control Support Soars In New Polls

Gun Control Support Soars In New Polls

Support for tighter gun control laws continues to rise in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., according to a new HuffPost/YouGov poll, and another new poll finds that support for stricter gun laws is at its highest point in years.

[link:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/27/gun-control-support-poll_n_2370265.html|

39 replies, 2237 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 39 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gun Control Support Soars In New Polls (Original post)
MightyMopar Dec 2012 OP
Blue_Roses Dec 2012 #1
Chorophyll Dec 2012 #2
former-republican Dec 2012 #3
LineLineReply ?
the antigun Dec 2012 #4
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #6
farminator3000 Dec 2012 #38
former-republican Dec 2012 #10
spin Dec 2012 #5
former-republican Dec 2012 #8
Douglas Carpenter Dec 2012 #7
former-republican Dec 2012 #9
DanTex Dec 2012 #28
DanTex Dec 2012 #27
Skittles Dec 2012 #11
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 #12
Skittles Dec 2012 #13
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 #14
ReRe Dec 2012 #18
JoeyT Dec 2012 #19
MightyMopar Dec 2012 #22
farminator3000 Dec 2012 #35
dorksied Dec 2012 #15
AgingAmerican Dec 2012 #16
dorksied Dec 2012 #21
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #23
thucythucy Dec 2012 #24
jmg257 Dec 2012 #26
AgingAmerican Dec 2012 #30
NutmegYankee Dec 2012 #36
Maynar Dec 2012 #17
dorksied Dec 2012 #20
AgingAmerican Dec 2012 #34
slackmaster Dec 2012 #25
Paladin Dec 2012 #31
slackmaster Dec 2012 #33
MightyMopar Dec 2012 #39
treestar Dec 2012 #32
Turbineguy Dec 2012 #29
LanternWaste Dec 2012 #37

Response to MightyMopar (Original post)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:38 AM

1. sad that it takes the slaughter of innocent children

to finally get the support needed to actually do anything.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Blue_Roses (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:46 AM

2. What you said.

Still, I'm glad people are beginning to see sanity.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:03 AM

3. Nothing is going to happen

It won't pass the current congress.

There won't be another AWB
Fiensteins proposal is dead on arrival.

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms;
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Reply to this post

Response to former-republican (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:29 AM

4. ?

Why do you think it is not going to pass?

Reply to this post

Response to the antigun (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:39 AM

6. Consider the Gallup polls, such as they are

51% are against banning AR and similar rifles
71% are against banning handguns.

While polls always have spin, its not a slam dunk.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 04:02 PM

38. or these other gallup polls which are brand new

Gun Control Support Soars In New Gallup Poll
Friday, December 28, 2012

In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre and the ambush on the Webster, NY firefighters, a new Gallup poll shows Americans want stricter gun control laws.

Gallup finds 58% of Americans in favor of strengthening the laws covering the sale of firearms, up from 43% in 2011.

http://fromtheleft.wordpress.com/2012/12/28/gun-control-support-soars-in-new-gallup-poll/

Reply to this post

Response to the antigun (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:56 AM

10. Make up of congress and the country

And don't forget Harry Reid

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:35 AM

5. This bill will have a hard time passing in the Senate and no chance in the House. ...

A watered down version is slightly possible but would accomplish little or nothing and could seriously hurt Democrats in the mid-term election.

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:42 AM

8. I think they are blowing it before it even starts

They could have done something simple that might get them some support.
NICS check , maybe and it's a big maybe possible mag ban .

That's about all they might pass. Instead they do this and now nothing is going to get watered down.
Some DU members heads are going to explode.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:40 AM

7. certainly nothing of any significance will make it through THIS Congress

I wish you were wrong about this. But obviously there is not a snowball's chance in hell that an assault weapon ban will make it though the current U.S. House of Representatives. But that does not mean that there is no value in introducing legislation that will not make it through a current U.S. Congress. Many a piece of legislation on every conceivable matter has gone down to defeat over and over again - year after year - until finally the time is right and the chemistry is right - the political atmosphere changes and a once doomed piece of legislation becomes law. That has happened on just about every piece of social reform that has ever been advanced. And these victories would have never happened without the seed sowed by a multitude of defeats.

I remember when the ballot initiative in 1978 that would have simply required restaurants in California to have separate smoking areas - was soundly defeated. Now smoking is completely banned in most bars and restaurants and no doubt smokers and tobacco companies would be happy if the original proposals to simply require separate non-smoking areas was once again back on the agenda. You are obviously right that any meaningful assault weapon ban will not make it through this Congress. But that does not mean the tide is not starting to turn and that even much stronger legislation may very well make it through some future Congress. I suspect that although it is not going to happen with this Congress and probably not the next Congress either- that is obvious - the day may come when the gun manufacturers and the likes of NRA will wish they had simply supported assault weapon bans and tougher gun registration laws.

Reply to this post

Response to Douglas Carpenter (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:54 AM

9. We are talking guns and this country loves it's guns

It's baby steps that work. I don't care if they pass a mag ban , I don't support it or really oppose it.
A NICS check for non FFL's would have sailed right through , that would have been an easy one.

But they pull this instead. Now they get nothing

Reply to this post

Response to former-republican (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:05 AM

28. First of all, the gun-loving demographic is growing smaller.

Also, I'm not sure that NICS checks for non-FFLs will sail through. I hope so, but the NRA is opposed, so it won't be easy in the house.

Still, the Feinstein bill is not the only thing in play. We have to see what the president comes up with.

Reply to this post

Response to Douglas Carpenter (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:02 AM

27. Great post. I agree.

The GOP-controlled house is going to block just about everything -- not gun control, but also other kinds of progressive legislation. But it takes more than one try get a bill passed. And an imperfect bill is better than nothing.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:15 AM

11. F-republican is skeered

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #11)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:23 AM

12. That's not very nice.

PS: I see you were banned from the BOG tonight. Their ban list is growing rapidly.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #12)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:26 AM

13. for a post that wasn't even hidden!!!

IN A THREAD THAT WAS IN THE WRONG FORUM!!! I RESPECT PEOPLE IN THE GUNGEON MORE!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #13)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:30 AM

14. They threw me out too.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:47 AM

18. Oh ye....

... of little faith. Never say never. (Just suggesting.)

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:48 AM

19. I knew when I heard who was writing it

that it was going to be something that wouldn't pass and wouldn't really do much actual good. *shrug*

"Thumbhole stocks" and "bullet buttons" doesn't ban levers. I'm not even sure why thumbhole stocks would be in that sentence, but I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the world about them either.

Banning scary looking stuff isn't the answer, banning actual scary stuff is.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:26 AM

22. Concern troll dance

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:02 PM

35. ok, chicken little

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

it doesn't HAVE to pass congress- it IS a national emergency and all.

the point of it is- 10 round magazines max.
what exactly do you do with more than 10 bullets besides a lame Rambo imitation?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:32 AM

15. I hate guns. But it is FAR too late to ban any of them. 300,000,000 MINIMUM in the US

There is just NO way you can ban that many guns. There is no way you can legislate them away. No magic wand waving law will suddenly make the guns just disappear.

Gun owners will just hide them, or claim they were stolen, or whatever.

You cannot, honestly, think that just because you ban a thing doesn't mean that that thing will just vanish.

Prohibition didn't work. Marijuana laws don't work. People who want a thing will get a thing.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks that tighter gun laws will make all the problems go away is delusional.

Reply to this post

Response to dorksied (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:39 AM

16. Gun control does not mean banning guns

Registration of ALL guns and stronger gun laws AND closing the gun show loophole.

The RW talking point is "There are too many guns, so we cant make any more gun laws".

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:19 AM

21. And my POINT is that there is no way it will work, unless the feds do house to house searches.

Gun owners will not comply. They'll hide their guns. Or, worse... take to the streets with them, daring the government to take them, which would only result in bloodshed. This is all speculation, but I've got a number of gun nut friends who say that they'll be damned before they have to register their guns, like they're "some kind of criminal". (Their words, not mine.)

Reply to this post

Response to dorksied (Reply #21)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:30 AM

23. If gun registration is made mandatory then those who don't register will be "some kind of criminal"

And we have an entire mechanism built over decades for going into people's homes in order to confiscate contraband.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 10:07 AM

24. "Gun owners will not comply...Or worse...take to the streets...would only result in bloodshed."

So, we shouldn't pass any gun control legislation because gun owners are all law abiding citizens who will at all times act responsibly and with reason.

Unless we pass gun registration, at which point a significant percent will become criminals and take to the streets resulting in mayhem and bloodshed.

Sounds to me like that right there is as good a reason as any for legislation. People like that -- people willing to risk "mayhem and bloodshed" -- shouldn't have access to guns in the first place.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 10:52 AM

26. I think you are disillusioned in thinking the majority of gunowners

REALLY want to become felons. Or worse - risk getting shot to prove a silly point. Pass the laws, make the penalities severe & mandatory.

Not sure so many will actually want to risk going to jail and losing all (or getting killed!!) just to keep some yet to be determined illegal guns (a primary purpose of which is usually given as self/family protection?!?).

One thing about "going door to door" - you don't need to...just wait for those nosey neighbors to sign complaints, the ATF to go though 4473 forms, owners/families to mess up keeping the secret that dad's a felon and they kept theirs, etc.

Those that choose to hide their guns? GREAT! Bury them deep, hide em in a safe in the basement - it almost just as good as confiscating them.

edit:
BTW - despite your talking points, guns really aren't physically addictive (or socially acceptable) like drugs and alcohol. And using them quietly and secretively isn't quite so easy. Those who will enforce the laws, who might otherwise be paid to look the other way, are the same guys who will evetually face them if they're ignored.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:12 AM

30. "Daring the government to take them"

You are stuck on "Regulation = confiscation".

There will be no revolution if guns are regulated, sorry. Thats a piss poor excuse for doing nothing.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:04 PM

36. Registration is a complex issue.

First off, I am a gun owner, but I'm not a gun nut. I consider myself the regular guy in the debate.

On a positive side to registration, it allows a weapon stolen to be returned back to the rightful owner once found. It also ensures that gun purchases and sales are "above board". On the negative is the off chance that someone may choose to use the list for confiscation, or as was shown recently, publish the names and addresses of owners publicly. Since the only online database of a similar nature is sexual offender registries, no reasonable gun owner is going to agree to get displayed on a website like a child rapist. These are people who in some states (like mine) have passed rigorous background checks to get pistol purchase permits, including instruction on safety. Not being treated like criminals is key if registration is to ever pass.

Reply to this post

Response to dorksied (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:45 AM

17. So sad

But so very true. Very well put, dorksied.

May I quote you on that, please?

Reply to this post

Response to Maynar (Reply #17)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:16 AM

20. Go for it.

Reply to this post

Response to Maynar (Reply #17)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:40 PM

34. Do you share

His hatred of guns?

"I hate guns, but"

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 10:35 AM

25. Check back in a week or two

People will be hot and bothered about something else, perhaps the hit their paychecks have taken when the fiscal cliff thing hits.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #25)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:13 AM

31. In The Long Run, You're Going To Lose.

If not this school massacre, then after one or two or six more, down the road. With a political assassination or two or three thrown in. Maybe a few more spittle-flecked rants by Wayne LaPierre, just to seal the deal. At some point, the general public will have had enough, and decisive action will be taken. I think you and a few other DU Gun Enthusiasts are bright enough to understand all this. It's the reason that, for all your recent victories, gun rights advocates are always ill at ease. It's the reason that, even in the face of unspeakably vile adversaries like Antonin Scalia, we gun control advocates never lose hope. Have a pleasant day.

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #31)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:17 AM

33. It seems like you are looking forward to school massacres and assassinations, Paladin.

Kind of like the government subsidizing tobacco farmers even though its official position is that tobacco is bad for people.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #33)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:47 PM

39. Predict, comprehend, then CONTROL!

It's easy to predict their will be worse and worse mass killing with high performance weapons. It's like predicting global warming causing worse storms. We might no be able to ban guns but we can make gun dealers and owners pariahs like smokers.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #25)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:15 AM

32. The slaughter of children that young

is not something going to be forgotten soon.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:10 AM

29. Maybe the NRA

instead of putting guns in the hands of people who shoot children could put them in the hands of those who shoot meth dealers. We still get more guns into peoples hands (NRA = good), we still get the carnarge (NRA = good) and we get rid of a few meth dealers (Society = good, NRA = neutral)

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:13 PM

37. That we as a nation are finally beginning this dialog is a very positive sign...

That we as a nation are (it appears) finally beginning this dialog is a very positive sign in my opinion; however, I also realize that there will be a few petulant outliers who believe that the merest hint of this conversation taking place is a threat in and of itself to their "way if life", and will do what they can to stop it from being discussed, or simply state "nothing will work, so let's be pro-active and do nothing..."

After going forth, cultural pendulums often swing back.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread