HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 400 will be on the street...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 08:17 PM

400 will be on the streets in Tucson AZ if budget is not reached.

Many may say that we should go over the cliff. I have a feeling that 400 people would be happy to argue with you. Because doing something later like they can do for the taxes, will be to late for many.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/20436512/tucson-prepared-for-fiscal-cliff-deadline
"We've said for the past six months around here, we're going forward with our planning and process for our budget next year," Tucson's Mayor Jonathan Rothschild says. "But if something dramatic comes out of Washington, we're going to plan B."

"If sequestration goes into effect as proposed, we're looking at 400 people out on the streets," he says. People "who are now demanding social services they didn't need before."

5 replies, 725 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 400 will be on the streets in Tucson AZ if budget is not reached. (Original post)
Lady Freedom Returns Dec 2012 OP
liberal_at_heart Dec 2012 #1
TheMadMonk Dec 2012 #3
liberal_at_heart Dec 2012 #4
TheMadMonk Dec 2012 #2
Lady Freedom Returns Dec 2012 #5

Response to Lady Freedom Returns (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 08:21 PM

1. In my children's school district news letter they were saying the school district would lose

$500,000 next year if the automatic spending cuts went into affect. People act like there will be no consequences for going over the cliff.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to liberal_at_heart (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 08:54 PM

3. There are worse consequences to not going over.

Right now, the situation is: GIVE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY EVERYTHING IT DEMANDS, or you get nothing.

Right now the only thing on offer (from either side) is a short term deferal of immediate pain at the expense of much greater pain in the future for the little man.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMadMonk (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 08:59 PM

4. well the funding for schools is already so small if it is going to get much worse

I am going to have to home school my son. I just can't take it getting much worse than it already is.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 08:44 PM

2. The problem is that you as a people have consistently...

...allowed your governments to attach legislation for the programs that the public needs to legislation for the programs that their masters want and vice versa.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:20 PM

5. Kick as a reminder of what is at risk.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread