HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » clue from CT about why Ad...

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:56 PM

clue from CT about why Adam Lanza shot up Newtown Elementary

This is a secondhand report, but I believe it. I live in CT and was just talking to a friend who told me he was at a store in town and a young cashier was looking down at the mouth, down at the floor and generally looked miserable. My friend asked the young man why he was having such a bad day and the guy said that he went to school with Adam Lanza for about 9 years in Newtown, but he was now living in our town due to the economy and his parents moving. The cashier said that Lanza was regularly and brutally bullied at the Newtown school for being different, and the cashier was one of those who did the bullying and now he feels guilty.

My friend who told me this is totally trustworthy, a family man and well established business man and I know he has no reason to make this story up.

It would explain why Lanza in his twisted way would want to "get back" at kids at Newtown School. It would also explain why his mother took him out of school to home school him, or at least it's part of the puzzle.

33 replies, 2982 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 33 replies Author Time Post
Reply clue from CT about why Adam Lanza shot up Newtown Elementary (Original post)
wordpix Dec 2012 OP
CatWoman Dec 2012 #1
RebelOne Dec 2012 #4
CatWoman Dec 2012 #5
wordpix Dec 2012 #9
devilgrrl Dec 2012 #26
NYC_SKP Dec 2012 #2
Bjornsdotter Dec 2012 #3
easttexaslefty Dec 2012 #6
janlyn Dec 2012 #7
closeupready Dec 2012 #10
janlyn Dec 2012 #14
closeupready Dec 2012 #15
aquart Dec 2012 #19
Logical Dec 2012 #11
coalition_unwilling Dec 2012 #8
BeyondGeography Dec 2012 #12
HooptieWagon Dec 2012 #21
coalition_unwilling Dec 2012 #13
HooptieWagon Dec 2012 #16
wordpix Dec 2012 #18
HooptieWagon Dec 2012 #20
duffyduff Dec 2012 #23
wordpix Dec 2012 #17
duffyduff Dec 2012 #22
HereSince1628 Dec 2012 #24
MadrasT Dec 2012 #25
HereSince1628 Dec 2012 #32
Kalidurga Dec 2012 #27
Chorophyll Dec 2012 #28
TeamPooka Dec 2012 #29
TheMastersNemesis Dec 2012 #30
JI7 Dec 2012 #31
hamsterjill Dec 2012 #33

Response to wordpix (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:58 PM

1. the consequences to bullying runs deep

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CatWoman (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:02 PM

4. I have a friend here in Georgia whose son

took his father's gun to school and shot and killed himself in class because of bullying. He was only 15. He was bullied because he was overweight.

Reply to this post

Response to RebelOne (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:04 PM

5. damn

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:10 PM

9. that is so sad, this bullying has got to stop. As a teacher,

I tell students who disparage others that everyone is different and has strengths and weaknesses, and just because someone appears "different" that is no reason to tear someone down or tease him or her.

It always works.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:58 PM

2. It would not surprised me if this turns out to be true

I imagine we'll hear more about this in coming days if it is really true.

So sad....

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:02 PM

3. Sadly...

....not surprised one bit.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:04 PM

6. Sure wouldn't surprise me. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:08 PM

7. Sad but....

I am a high functioning Autistic and to say I was bullied in school would be an understatement,tormented would be a better term!

However, I never once entertained the thought to cause harm to anyone involved. My revenge was to go back happy and successful and
show my tormentors.

While bullying is ABSOLUTELY terrible,it is not in and of itself the sole cause of this young mans actions.

Without a doubt an underlying mental problem (not his autism)was the tipping point.

Reply to this post

Response to janlyn (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:11 PM

10. Yes, but did you receive any sort of counseling?

By that I mean, did you talk with anyone about the torment to which you were subjected?

Reply to this post

Response to closeupready (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:36 PM

14. NO...never

I guess I just got a glimpse of the real reason behind the torment.I saw it in the eyes of the most popular girl,the one who picked on me the most.
Because the ones that picked on me didn't think much of themselves and needed to push others down in order to make themselves feel better.
In hindsight I realize what a huge revelation that was given my age at the time, 11.

Because of that I was able to feel sadness for them,instead of anger.

Reply to this post

Response to janlyn (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:45 PM

15. I see - thanks for sharing.

Reply to this post

Response to janlyn (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 06:52 PM

19. Always. One day I saw those eyes myself.

It was a stunning realization but I never knew who to tell it to. Pointing out someone more different so no one would notice how much they didn't fit.

Reply to this post

Response to janlyn (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:12 PM

11. Some people can handle stuff better than others. n-t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:08 PM

8. For all we know, it was the story about Romney bullying John Lauber

in the media that worked under the guy's skin. That story certainly got under my skin and triggered some very unpleasant memories of when I was the victim of school bullying.

Here's Lanza, nursing grievances from long ago, seeing a representative of the 'tormenter class' being pushed as candidate for the highest office in the land. That could certainly become a major stressor.

Thanks for posting. If this story turns out to have legs, maybe all the blood lust expressed against Adam Lanza and his mother here on DU can start to be put to rest once and for all. I'm not holding my breath.

Just spoke about this with my wife and she makes the excellent point that, if true and if the story gains legs, those of us who were victims of bullying will not be able to come out and talk about it for fear that we will be looked at as potential mass murderers ready to go postal.

So this is a double-edged sword, I think.

Not every victim of bullying turns into a mass murderer, so I think we need to keep the focus primarily on providing access to mental health and on regulating access to firearms.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:15 PM

12. First grade girls and female teachers and administrators

That's who most of his victims were. Not discounting your story, but that's the most misdirected form of revenge imaginable. Maybe, being a coward (after all, he started the day by killing his sleeping mother), he chose the path of least resistance. Whatever. Fuck you again, Adam.

Reply to this post

Response to BeyondGeography (Reply #12)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:57 AM

21. I don't think he specifically targeted females.

He entered the classrooms that were unlocked. That those classrooms had female teachers and mostly female students wasn't a factor in his control.
He may or may not have had issues with women, we don't know what was going through his head. But it doesn't appear he spared the lives of boys in the classrooms.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:19 PM

13. K&R for more exposure and discussion. - n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 06:14 PM

16. Maybe he was bullied, maybe he wasn't.

Being bullied doesn't explain why he shot his mother. It doesn't explain why he shot 1st graders. And it had been several years since his mother pulled him from school. The students who maybe bullied him were graduated and off at college.

Reply to this post

Response to HooptieWagon (Reply #16)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 06:46 PM

18. It was not "several yrs" since the mom pulled Lanza from school - he was 20 y.o.

and was in an AP class when he was pulled. Most students don't take AP until junior or senior years. So at most there were maybe 3 years since he was pulled.

obviously Lanza was off his rocker and it does not make sense he would kill little kids ---except if he was bullied at the school and wanted revenge, he just shot at whatever kids were in the way.

Reply to this post

Response to wordpix (Reply #18)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:37 AM

20. I believe he was pulled from school in his mid-teens.

And was home-schooled. From mid-teens to 20 is several years.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324731304578193890846892734.html

Reply to this post

Response to HooptieWagon (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:17 PM

23. The vast majority of people who are bullied don't turn into psychopathic monsters

Speculating about what may or may not have happened in his childhood does no good.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 06:20 PM

17. recall I wrote this is a clue, it's not psychotherapy

I think one of the most telling things is the cashier felt guilty that he had contributed to bullying of Lanza. He said the bullying went on for years and was extensive, so we don't know exactly what went on. As one person who posted here put it, his own bullying experience was more torment than bullying.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:16 PM

22. You don't take your anger out on innocent people, including first graders

We don't KNOW what triggered this monster's behavior.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:30 PM

24. Riddle me this...

If he was angry at school bullies why did he kill his mother, YEARS after he wasn't in school any more? Why a bunch of first graders?

Although I think this is a mass shooting which can be characterized as suicide plus a homicidal mission, I think we've got to look at what mission could possibly have accomplished.

Shooting his mother in the face is an act that is against the body part that most characterizes the personality. I believe the profilers will say his act was focused on obliterating a personality.

For this 3rd hand clue to work you've got to show me how to connect her personality to his being bullied.

Reply to this post

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #24)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:13 PM

25. He could have been angry at her for not protecting him from the bullies.

I don't care much for this kind of armchair psychoanalysis, but...

...when I was a kid, I was bullied relentlessly and was furious with my parents for years afterward for not doing anything to protect me or to try to stop the bullying. Their advice to me was to "ignore them". That was their whole method of dealing with years of relentless bullying. "Ignore them, if you don't react they will get bored and stop." Well they didn't stop. It stopped when I grew up and moved away.

Now I know that my parents did the best they could and I am not mad at them anymore. And I would surely never shoot anybody.

But to answer your question, he could have been mad at a personality trait of hers that was something like "lack of maternal protectiveness/compassion".

Reply to this post

Response to MadrasT (Reply #25)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 04:51 PM

32. It's NOT armchair psychoanalysis...it's looking for PARSIMONIOUS connectivity

Rationalization and speculation using subjective experience is just rationalizing and speculating, generalizing from individual subjective experience as true as it may be, isn't a valid method analysis either.

And 3rd hand stories, being a hallmark of urban legend aren't very credible.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:34 PM

27. I don't doubt he was bullied.

Very few people who are "different" get out of the school system without being bullied. And the bullying was very likely as someone else put it more along the lines of being tormented. I can relate to that I was bullied a lot until I got into middle school and it stopped for a couple of years then I was bullied in high school mostly my freshman and sophomore years. Then it mostly stopped for no reason I can think of. Anyway, this isn't why and it might not even be a piece of the puzzle. Lanza had been out of school for quite sometime. He probably wasn't teased by a single one of those kids he killed. I don't think they even served as a symbol of those that bullied him. I can't even be sure that mental illness was a major component of this. I suspect whatever inspired him to do this happened in the last few months of his life. I have no insight as to what that might have been. But, I do believe he really grew to hate/fear/loathe his mother. Why go and kill innocent kids after that? I don't know he wasn't thinking logically obviously, but maybe in some way he wanted to tarnish his mothers memory.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:41 PM

28. You know, I know a lot of people who were bullied.

Not one of them has shot a random 6-year-old because they were bullied in first grade.

We can probably come up with "motives" for almost any crime, but the fact is that this kid was severely disturbed and his mother had more-or-less provided him with an arsenal.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:57 PM

29. bullying is no excuse for mass murder. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:58 PM

30. Bullying Does Not Justify What This Kid Did ---- Having Said That The Incident Shows That Bullying

can have long term consequences. When you add bullying to someone who has potential mental health issues it can have these kinds of consequences.

I was at home when Columbine happened. The two perpetrators could not be actually classified as mentally ill. Even though it has been denied, the two students were mercilessly bullied by righteous kids for a long time from what the local scuttlebutt reveals. Even normal kids or even persons can go over the deep end when they are bullied. The Columbine massacre could have been worse. Supposedly Harris had checked into getting an M-60 machine gun. And their propane bombs did not explode.

Bullying or some other debilitating misfortune can have dire consequences when the victimyou feels they have no where to turn and have no options. If any kind of mental illness is involved the results are obvious when lethal weapons are involved.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 04:01 PM

31. Those kids weren't even born when he went to that School

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:07 PM

33. Bullying is so horribly wrong!

No one should be bullied in school, the workplace, etc. It's got to stop. And the public at large needs to be educated about what constitutes bullying, AND the repercussions of it.

That said...we have also, as a society, got to do better to help those that are bullied understand what's going on and to equip them with the means to deal with it emotionally. In the case of Adam Lanza and others, perhaps there is a mental component that would prevent them from rationally understanding that it's the bully who is the problem, not them.

But for the ordinary, run-of-the-mill school child who is being bullied, in addition to a process to STOP the bullying, there must also be a process whereby the bullied child's self-esteem is built and sustained so that they are not scarred from the experience. There will never be a time when bullying does not occur at all. So we have got to also equip our children with the tools to deal with it. That could be, in addition to other items, teaching children to stand up as a group when they see another child being bullied.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread