HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The NRA wants an online r...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:53 PM

The NRA wants an online registry for the "mentally insane" to cut down on gun violence.

How many of the mass-assassins in the last few years would have been on that list. ZERO, that's how many! I'm sure they'd get on there after the fact, assuming they were still alive.

Stupid, evil fucks!

21 replies, 1198 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply The NRA wants an online registry for the "mentally insane" to cut down on gun violence. (Original post)
AAO Dec 2012 OP
GoCubsGo Dec 2012 #1
lastlib Dec 2012 #2
Irishonly Dec 2012 #17
lumberjack_jeff Dec 2012 #3
hack89 Dec 2012 #4
AAO Dec 2012 #11
riderinthestorm Dec 2012 #5
bettyellen Dec 2012 #7
Cleita Dec 2012 #6
The Second Stone Dec 2012 #8
sibelian Dec 2012 #9
slackmaster Dec 2012 #10
Chisox08 Dec 2012 #12
LeftInTX Dec 2012 #13
krispos42 Dec 2012 #14
KittyWampus Dec 2012 #15
RedCappedBandit Dec 2012 #16
AAO Dec 2012 #20
madinmaryland Dec 2012 #18
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #19
Denninmi Dec 2012 #21

Response to AAO (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:54 PM

1. They should think twice about that.

Their names would be first on that list.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:56 PM

2. I might consider it if Wayne LaPierre is the first name entered.

Reply to this post

Response to lastlib (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:34 AM

17. That was my first thought

IMHO, that idiot is batshit crazy. Ted Nugent could be second.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:02 PM

3. How many guns did Adam Lanza buy? n/t

The waiting list deterred him on his one visit to the gun shop.

Unfortunately, he didn't need to buy any because they are ubiquitous.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:03 PM

4. Seung-Hui Cho's name would have been on that list

he had a court ordered psychiatric assessment.

On December 13, 2005, Cho was found "mentally ill and in need of hospitalization" by New River Valley Community Services Board. The physician who examined Cho noted that he had a flat affect and depressed mood, even though Cho "denied suicidal thoughts and did not acknowledge symptoms of a thought disorder." Based on this mental health examination and because Cho was suspected of being "an imminent danger to himself or others", he was detained temporarily at Carilion St. Albans Behavioral Health Center in Radford, Virginia, pending a commitment hearing before the Montgomery County, Virginia district court.

Virginia Special Justice Paul Barnett certified in an order that Cho "presented an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness," but instead recommended treatment for Cho as an outpatient. On December 14, 2005, Cho was released from the mental health facility after Judge Barnett ordered Cho to undergo mental health treatment on an outpatient basis, with a directive for the "court-ordered to follow all recommended treatments." Since Cho underwent only a minimal psychiatric assessment, the true diagnosis for Cho's mental health status remains unknown.

Reply to this post

Response to hack89 (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:00 AM

11. I said "in the last few years". 7 is a stretch. My original point stands.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:08 PM

5. Its a red herring designed to deflect from the real problem: easy accessibility to guns.

And its an insult to the mentally ill who are far, FAR more often on the receiving end of gun violence rather than the perpetrators.

Lumping the mentally ill together with mass shooters like Adam Lanza, when we have absolutely NO idea if he was mentally ill or if he was on any meds, is really ugly.

Its not just the NRA though, there's 750 US Mayors who are also onboard with this, and plenty of DUers who similarly proposed this DAYS before Mr. LaPierre....

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/home/demandaplan.html

Reply to this post

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:09 PM

7. true, I don't believe they even want this or think it would be very effective.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:09 PM

6. We can put Wayne La Pierre at the top of that list and Ted Nugent next. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:33 PM

8. To what end? It makes no sense without another list to compare it to

and exclude people from ownership. They really should think things through.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:38 PM

9. Well.

That's unlikely to happen.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:42 PM

10. Tempest in a teapot. There already is a database for that purpose.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:03 AM

12. So in other words they want an registry of 90% of their members.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:22 AM

13. What about the "private sale - gun show loophole", that NRA currently supports?

If NRA refuses to do anything about the private sale loophole, then this is nothing but a bunch of BS.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:23 AM

14. There is already a list.

But it depends on the states to keep themselves up to date. Which, of course...

Well, let's just call it your austerity budget at work.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:24 AM

15. I'd argue a good many people with gun arsenals because of paranoia should be on that list. First.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:30 AM

16. Funny, I can't find that in the DSM

Reply to this post

Response to RedCappedBandit (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:34 AM

20. What? It's listed right below "Mentally Deranged".

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:49 AM

18. Actually there is one the exists already. It is called the NRA membership list. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:00 AM

19. There have been well over 100 gun deaths/shootings since Sandy Hook but the NRA don't care.

Whatsoever. Hundreds of "normal" people killing each other doesn't matter, doesn't register (no pun intended).

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:23 PM

21. I really wanted to address this thread. But, I'm NOT going to repeat what I've said ad nauseum ...

... over the past two weeks. Everyone, including myself, is no doubt sick of the "don't throw me under the bus because I'm bipolar (or PTSD?)" spiel.

So, I'll say this instead:

I am "newly diagnosed" by a few months. So, my entire journey into the world of mental health has been quite a culture shock. And a learning experience, with both good and bad events. Overall, certainly NOT something I would wish on anyone, but I must admit, if I am perfectly honest, that where I am now, psychologically and physically, is a MUCH better place than where I was in August when the you-know-what really hit the fan. I can sit in my office at work, where I am now, and actually NOT panic so much that I have to lock the door and let phones go to voicemail. Nor do I spend half my day running down the hall to the men's room or out to my car to throw up. And yes, it's rather reassuring to drive down the freeway at 70 mph and NOT be hit by a flood of tears so intense, and for virtually no reason, that I wondered if I could make it safely to an exit where I could park. So yes, treatment is definitely preferable to letting such a situation fester, untreated or even undiagnosed, which seems to be the case with some of these shooters.

When Newtown happened two weeks ago today, the immediate outpouring of grief was followed by an equally large and vociferous outpouring of contempt for anyone with a psychiatric diagnosis simply because of guilt by association, fanned by NRA scapegoating, even before any real facts were known about the mental health status of the shooter. I found that to be more than disconcerting, in fact, I felt quite threatened by the attitude I saw in some posters here on DU, and far more on general interest sites such as CNN or ABC News, which was "round them up and lock them away." But, DU seems to weathered the storm, the handful of the most egregious bigots were tombstoned by Administration, for which I can assure you anyone in the mental health "community" here was grateful, and overall, calmer heads have prevailed.

I have actually learned a lot about public attitudes towards mental illness, and, more importantly, about the character of the average person who is contemplating all of this. And, overall, I am encouraged by what I have observed. Sure, there are still those who would stigmatize, scapegoat, and demonize, but far more people seem to be encouraging, kind, supportive, and, most importantly, fair-minded about this situation. And, it seems, not willing to support proposals to pre-emptively punish people with mental health diagnoses who have done nothing wrong. I hope I am right about this, I think that I am.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread