HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Harry Reid rips John Boeh...

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:30 PM

Harry Reid rips John Boehner for skipping town as tax hikes loom

In a speech Thursday morning, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid tore into House Speaker John Boehner for refusing to call the House of Representatives back into session to vote on Senate-passed legislation extending tax cuts on all income below $250,000.
"Speaker Boehner should call members of the House back to Washington today," Reid said. "He shouldn't have let them go, in fact. They are not here. They are not here." Reid accused Boehner of putting his own political ambition ahead of the country's welfare, seeking to preserve his speakership rather than risk losing support from Republicans by allowing a vote on the senate's legislation.

"I can't imagine their consciences," Reid said. "They're out, wherever they are around the country, and we're here trying to get something done. They are not in Washington, D.C. The House of Representatives is not here."

With just four days left until tax rates will automatically go up, Reid said the Senate's legislation is the only viable option for avoiding year-end tax hikes on more than 98 percent of American taxpayers. "If we go over the cliff, we'll be left with the knowledge that it could have been prevented with a single vote in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/27/1174137/-Harry-Reid-rips-John-Boehner-for-skipping-town-as-tax-hikes-loom

9 replies, 761 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:31 PM

1. Hell, even when they're in DC they're not "there" /eom

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dballance (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:36 PM

3. The Laddies Who Lunch. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:36 PM

2. Completely fed up with the teabagging GOP as well as Republicans who sit on their asses in silence

Entirely sick of their 2 year old behavior and that such behavior influences other people's lives and well-being.

They aren't doing this with good intentions.

The chapter titled torches, pitchforks, tar, feathers should be dusted off and revisited.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:44 PM

4. I heard it. It was a thing of beauty.

I hope the Repugs keep shooting themselves in the foot up to the next session. I also hope this is a sign from Harry Reid that he's going to do something about the filibuster rules if he is the Majority Leader of the Senate in the next Congress.

Reply to this post

Response to Cleita (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:52 PM

5. Be careful what you wish for, because as much as you and I may hope, it is not feasible ...

to believe that the Democratic party will maintain a permanent Senate majority. I do believe that if the Democrats in this Senate changed the rules, they would utilize the new standard sparingly, and only in order to counteract some of the more egregious examples of Repug obstruction. But I believe even more strongly that if a future Repug Senate majority was to avail itself of some of the changes we are talking about, we would see some of the most batshit crazy legislation imagineable become law.

Reply to this post

Response to 11 Bravo (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:00 PM

6. This is what is holding us back from doing the right thing, fear of what they might do.

The fact is that they have very effectively been maintaining control of the majority by the minority for awhile now. It's time to go to a simple majority rule with the VP being the tie breaker as it has been in the past. I'm not so sure batshit crazy legislation would become law because there are still other ways to keep that from happening like it's been done in the past, like a real filibuster, not this parliamentary nightmare we have been stuck with.

Reply to this post

Response to 11 Bravo (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:18 PM

7. ok i'll play foreseer too. my guess is that this group of repubelickins will get rid of the f.b

when they get the chance so that dems cant block any of their craziness. the filibuster cant take the place of the people. people need to get their heads out of their asses or the t.v. and pay attention. if you vote republican screwed is what you'll be.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:59 PM

8. K & R

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:06 PM

9. Boehner goes AWOL. A Republican tradition.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread