HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » re: George H.W. Bush (a l...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:19 PM

re: George H.W. Bush (a little respect, but no tears from me...)

Kicking the Vietnam Syndrome

On Feb. 28, 1991, just hours after the fighting stopped, Bush gave the public a fleeting glimpse of his secret agenda when he celebrated the ground war victory by blurting out the seemingly incongruous declaration, “By God, we’ve kicked the Vietnam Syndrome once and for all.”

By Robert Parry (A Special Report)
February 28, 2011

Twenty years ago, with a resounding victory in a 100-hour ground war against Iraqi troops in Kuwait, the first Bush administration completed the restoration of a powerful public consensus, a renewed national commitment that the United States should act as the world’s imperial policeman.

Bush knew that the extra killing of Iraqi and American troops wasn’t needed to achieve the military objective of getting Iraqi forces out of Kuwait, because Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had long signaled his readiness to withdraw.

But Bush and his top political advisers, including Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, insisted on the ground war as a dramatic climax to a story line designed to thrill the American people – and get them to embrace warfare again as an exciting part of the national character.

Bush, Cheney and other senior officials judged that the slaughter of tens of thousands of Iraqi soldiers, mostly poorly trained conscripts, and the combat deaths of some 147 American soldiers was a small price to pay.

much more:
http://www.consortiumnews.com/2011/022811.html

and, perhaps even worse, he spawned this:

4 replies, 683 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply re: George H.W. Bush (a little respect, but no tears from me...) (Original post)
kpete Dec 2012 OP
Tempest Dec 2012 #1
dballance Dec 2012 #4
UTUSN Dec 2012 #2
R. Daneel Olivaw Dec 2012 #3

Response to kpete (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:23 PM

1. Corruption is a Bush family value

Prescott - Aided Hitler during WWII
GWH - Iran/Contra
GW - Insider trading fraud
Jeb - Savings and loan scandal
Neil - Savings and loan scandal

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tempest (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 01:38 PM

4. You Forgot GW - lied us into the Iraq War

When Iraq clearly had no WMDs. I will never forget the look on poor Kofi Annan's face at the press conference he held with W. Bush when Bush flat out lied that Iraq would not let in the inspectors from the IAEA at a time when the inspectors were actually in Iraq doing inspections. Annan should have called him a liar on the spot but didn't.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:31 PM

2. No tears, NO respect from me. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:50 PM

3. None from me.

Reply to this post