HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Delusional
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 01:12 AM

Delusional

4 replies, 650 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Delusional (Original post)
Whovian Dec 2012 OP
TheBlackAdder Dec 2012 #1
burrowowl Dec 2012 #2
Demo_Chris Dec 2012 #3
DCKit Dec 2012 #4

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 01:16 AM

1. Don't forget - With new surveillance powers, you'd be lucky to amass a group of 20 people! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 01:22 AM

2. K&R!!!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:44 AM

3. It's not quite this simple

It is absolutely true that no citizen army can stand and fight the United States military. A citizen army cannot fight ANY military. I might even go so far as to say that a real citizen army cannot exist -- but that's another topic. The point is, you are correct. Nor is this new. It was as true in Revolutionary War days as it is today. But then, that's not the whole story.

Armed citizens cannot defeat a professional army, but armed citizens can make in virtually impossible to govern a country in opposition to the will of the people. This is true even in the face of absolutely overwhelming military and technological advantages AND absolute ruthlessness on the part of the oppressors. Further, the more prevalent weapons are, the more difficult the task becomes.

Which is why, despite aircraft like the one in the picture, despite the drones and satelites, despite high speed computers and cameras and instant information, we will leave Afghanistan just as the Russians and British before us. Nor will it have been our first experience; we have been on both the winning and losing side of this lesson before. Most likely every nation has, which is why the FIRST thing would-be dictators try to do is to disarm the people. They want all the guns on their side. The don't want citizens with guns casually blowing away their police and then fading into the crowd. It gets bloody difficult to find more police after a while, and the harder you try to crack down the more insurgents you create.

But of course all this is pure fantasy. There is no way, NO WAY, anyone would ever try this in America. In our almost three hundred year history no one has ever, even once, attempted to seize power and make themselves king for life. It simply would not work. Now you know one of the main reasons why the authors of the constitution considered armed citizenry NECESSARY to the security of a free state. The second Amendment is the only place in the constitution where that word is used.

FINAL POINT: None of the above should be taken as any indication of my position on gun control. I was responding with MY OPINION to the OP.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:18 PM

4. "Red Dawn" was a documentary, right? nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread