HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What does it take to surr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:16 PM

What does it take to surrender the 2nd Amendment?

Seems it only takes some here 20 kids, and they are ready to cancel the 2nd Amendment and let government protect them. Oh, they say they only want rifles this time, but next time they will want the pistols, then the knifes, then the cars, etc. So I am asking what will it take for you to cancel the 2nd Amendment? Another school shooting of 20-30 kids? What?

29 replies, 1462 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply What does it take to surrender the 2nd Amendment? (Original post)
shintao Dec 2012 OP
Robb Dec 2012 #1
NightWatcher Dec 2012 #2
Scuba Dec 2012 #3
shintao Dec 2012 #9
TheCowsCameHome Dec 2012 #4
shintao Dec 2012 #17
Savannahmann Dec 2012 #5
Lizzie Poppet Dec 2012 #16
Sekhmets Daughter Dec 2012 #6
shintao Dec 2012 #10
baldguy Dec 2012 #7
Sekhmets Daughter Dec 2012 #25
libdem4life Dec 2012 #8
shintao Dec 2012 #15
libdem4life Dec 2012 #24
Sekhmets Daughter Dec 2012 #26
tog Dec 2012 #11
PeaceNikki Dec 2012 #13
tog Dec 2012 #18
PeaceNikki Dec 2012 #20
TheCowsCameHome Dec 2012 #21
guardian Dec 2012 #12
Ter Dec 2012 #19
shintao Dec 2012 #22
atreides1 Dec 2012 #23
jal777 Dec 2012 #14
jimlup Dec 2012 #27
Isoldeblue Dec 2012 #28
Agnosticsherbet Dec 2012 #29

Response to shintao (Original post)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:19 PM

2. thank you for adding to the constructive conversation

Lock this thang

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:24 PM

3. I'll gladly melt my guns to help stop the killing.

Reply to this post

Response to Scuba (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:44 PM

9. They have been doing that successfully

However, my question deals with eliminating the 2nd Amendment, how many more children will die before you eliminate it. We have had 32 years of children dying in school houses, so where do you finally draw the line and say eliminate the 2nd?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:25 PM

4. Maybe it's past time.

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:56 PM

17. It could well be past time

Seeing as assault weapons won't end the children being killed, maybe they will just take them all the next time.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:31 PM

5. I'll ask another question if it is alright with you.

How many lives is the right to keep assault guns worth? How many must die before we admit this is insane. Assault weapons are copies of military weapons. That means they are designed to kill. The Military does not buy a gun designed to be perfect at target shooting. It picks guns that are the best killers.

So how many must die before we take action? Ten thousand? We give at least that every year to gun violence. It took just about three thousand before we went overboard on the war on terror. Three thousand got us into World War II at Pearl Harbor. Yet more than ten thousand a year don't do squat to the attitudes of those in this country that worship the gun.

Reply to this post

Response to Savannahmann (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:53 PM

16. "Assault weapons" add very little to that ten thousand.

They account, in fact, for about 1% of it. But spree killings are "mass media hysteria events." The garner a ton af attentiopn and very strong emotional responses...so they loom large. But the fact is it's handguns that do the overwhelming majority of the killing, and usually small, cheap ones. Keeping those out of the hands of habitual criminals (the group that does most of teh killing with those handguns) shod be the big focus. Why spend progressive political capital on something that does so little to stem the tide?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:33 PM

6. Go away.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:45 PM

10. No

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:38 PM

7. It's so easy to defend human sacrifices to the gun gods.

When it's not your children being sacrificed.

Reply to this post

Response to baldguy (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:31 PM

25. Perhaps that's what we need....

You have to sacrifice one of you own children to the ever angry gun god for every gun you want to own....

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:38 PM

8. I think the issue here is that gun management does not surrender the 2nd Ammendment...good lord.

Any more than gun bans will ever be on the sane political radar. Pure Rhetoric and Hysteria Hype.

And stop with the "only takes some here 20 kids". That's beyond the pale.

Reply to this post

Response to libdem4life (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:52 PM

15. Still no answer

OK, after you ban the assault weapon, and the next shooter takes out 30 children at a school, will you ban pistols then? Or will pistols always get a pass regardless of how many the shooters murder in the schools? Once you whittle this down with more gun bans you are going to run out of 2nd Amendment, so how many more children do you figure it will take before you eliminate the 2nd? Can you put a number on it? I mean 30 children is enough for the assault rifle, so how many for the shot gun? How about lever actions?

Reply to this post

Response to shintao (Reply #15)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:23 PM

24. So do you want to put a guard with each one? Rhetorical baiting.

How many airplanes needed to be hijacked or airplanes drop out of the sky before we got the TSA?

That's why they put people with critical thinking and problem solving skills in charge of these societal changes. Black and white thinkers need not apply. I don't believe I have the answers, nor do you even have appropriate questions.

Reply to this post

Response to shintao (Reply #15)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:33 PM

26. Oh please....

That is the dumbest of arguments...straight out of the gun manufacturers talking points memo.

Reply to this post

Response to tog (Reply #11)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:50 PM

13. Hrm... tell me more about Obama's agenda to "change as much laws as he can in his 8 yrs"....

Reply to this post

Response to PeaceNikki (Reply #13)

Response to tog (Reply #18)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:00 PM

20. No shit!?!? Oh, tell me more!!! Replaced with WHAT exactly?

Reply to this post

Response to tog (Reply #18)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:02 PM

21. Pizza night, and your choice of toppings!

Goodbye.

Reply to this post

12. Your answer

Two methods:

The first method is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments. Because of some long outstanding amendments, such as the 27th, Congress will normally put a time limit (typically seven years) for the bill to be approved as an amendment (for example, see the 21st and 22nd).

The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions. This route has never been taken, and there is discussion in political science circles about just how such a convention would be convened, and what kind of changes it would bring about.

Regardless of which of the two proposal routes is taken, the amendment must be ratified, or approved, by three-fourths of states. There are two ways to do this, too. The text of the amendment may specify whether the bill must be passed by the state legislatures or by a state convention. See the Ratification Convention Page for a discussion of the make up of a convention. Amendments are sent to the legislatures of the states by default. Only one amendment, the 21st, specified a convention. In any case, passage by the legislature or convention is by simple majority.

The Constitution, then, spells out four paths for an amendment:

Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state conventions (never used)
Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state legislatures (never used)
Proposal by Congress, ratification by state conventions (used once)
Proposal by Congress, ratification by state legislatures (used all other times)

Reply to this post

Response to guardian (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:00 PM

19. So never

Reply to this post

Response to guardian (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:04 PM

22. Of course that action isn't necessary

Congress can just continue to ban guns until all guns are banned, and let the 2nd set idle.

Reply to this post

Response to shintao (Reply #22)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:12 PM

23. Not so much!

Remember that we have a Supreme Court that has the authority to over turn any law passed by Congress if in the courts opinion said law violates the US Constitution.

You really need to study your US History and how the US government works...when it works!

Reply to this post

14. Around here heroin is illegal... But

guess what kids are not having a hard time finding it for sale and overdosing on it. How would surrendering the 2nd get rid of guns?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:36 PM

27. 2nd Amendment is an outdated artifact of the 18th century America

It has taken far too many lives already. Don't be naive. Newtown was just the breaking point for a large number of people. It was by no means the only incident nor the only incident involving kids. We are a sick society. We must re-evaluate our gun laws. Other measures should also be taken but to ignore the significance of guns in this and other incidents is what brought us to this point.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:39 PM

28. Where is the proof of what you're saying, milstone?

"Oh, they say they only want rifles this time, but next time they will want the pistols, then the knifes, then the cars, etc. So I am asking what will it take for you to cancel the 2nd Amendment? "

Most do not want the 2nd amendment taken away. I for one don't and will not give up my .38, the only gun I own. But I surely don't need a Bushmaster or a magazine that has more than 10 rounds. What for? Who does? Why?????

I realize most of your posts are made only to antagonize and/or be a cheap devil's advocate. But let's try for some sane and truthful, more rational posts, occasionally.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:57 PM

29. It seems you posted this in the wrong forum.

You took a left to Democratic Underground.
You should have turned right to Free Republic where they seem to believe guns deserve protection and children are for target practice.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread