HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Twitter users flaunt guns...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:24 PM

Twitter users flaunt guns given to them as gifts

Sigh/ugh.

Last year, much of the Web's post-Christmas ire was directed at Twitter users who, like ungrateful brats, complained that Santa brought the wrong color iPhone or failed to deliver a car. This year, Internet denizens are upset that some people are bragging about their new guns on Twitter and Instagram.

In the wake of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., gun control has once again become a topic of national debate. Yet the controversy isn't preventing those who are excited about the firearms Santa brought from joyfully posting about them on social media.

No matter which side of the gun control debate you're on, these images first noticed by the Verge's T.C. Sottek and the Atlantic Wire's Rebecca Greenfield could make you uncomfortable. There are plenty of men and women some who appear to be teenagers who appear to be disregarding the NRA's three fundamental rules of gun safety, particularly keeping fingers away from triggers, and pointing the guns only in safe directions. It's especially problematic since these posts are often accompanied by the #NRA hashtag.

Not that the recipients seem to care. "I got just what I wanted," one Twitter user wrote. "An Armalite semi-automatic AR-15 rifle. It's like the Christmas Story, but I'll shoot more than my eye out."

I figure let them post their pictures. It helps identify the people who worship the gun.

24 replies, 1347 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Twitter users flaunt guns given to them as gifts (Original post)
47of74 Dec 2012 OP
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #1
watch the sky Dec 2012 #7
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #11
slackmaster Dec 2012 #2
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #3
slackmaster Dec 2012 #5
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #6
toby jo Dec 2012 #9
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #10
toby jo Dec 2012 #12
Hoyt Dec 2012 #15
PavePusher Dec 2012 #19
slackmaster Dec 2012 #20
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #24
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #23
slackmaster Dec 2012 #22
Chorophyll Dec 2012 #4
OneMoreDemocrat Dec 2012 #8
Chorophyll Dec 2012 #14
Taverner Dec 2012 #13
zbdent Dec 2012 #16
Zoeisright Dec 2012 #17
alcibiades_mystery Dec 2012 #18
PavePusher Dec 2012 #21

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:28 PM

1. It is really hard for me to get that in light of the Sandy Hook shooting and others that people...

would post photos of themselves on Twitter in poses like that.

I don't fully understand why people want these weapons, but I guess I can see why they'd take pictures with them; but I can't possibly understand how they could send them out for the world to see, especially now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to OneMoreDemocrat (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:54 PM

7. yeah, I agree with your sentiment

that's it in more bad taste than ever to brag about firearms after what recently happened but you can't expect much out of some people.

Reply to this post

Response to watch the sky (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 07:16 PM

11. It always goes back to my lack of faith in humanity...

Most people are good people, and some are just fucked up.

I have zero problem with people owning these guns (until and unless it's illegal), I have no interest in one but since it is legal they are allowed; I just wish people didn't want to own them.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:29 PM

2. I got an AK clone for Christmas in 2010

It's pretty cool, actually. I'd never owned one before, and was surprised by how small it is.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:33 PM

3. If you would have gotten it this Christmas, would you have posted it on Twitter?...

I've really respected your posts on guns and gun ownership over the last week and a half and I don't mean to rock the boat, but I do wonder if you feel this is OK timing-wise.

Reply to this post

Response to OneMoreDemocrat (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:38 PM

5. Certainly not on Twitter.

I don't do that sort of thing at all, and I keep all of my weapons securely locked up in a big sturdy safe.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:44 PM

6. That's kinda what I thought...

It's unfortunate (but par for the course here of late), that people will use this example of idiocy and then expand it to say "see, all gun owners are gun nuts", or something similar.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 07:03 PM

9. Cool! I got a gun!

God how cool is that? And you never owned one before? And now you do?

Like, you are like, a big man, now, eh? God, I wish I had a gun. It would be so cool.

Reply to this post

Response to toby jo (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 07:12 PM

10. Why make fun of someone for no real reason?...

I don't get that about this place, especially now during Gunapooloza.

Is it easier to do that than to actually have something to say?

I thought of three questions:

How did you feel about getting a gun on Christmas?
Did you actually ask for it or was it a surprise from a gun-enthusiast relative?
What do you use it for?

I think any one of the above might have led to discussion, but now a fellow DUer is probably just pissed off and I don't see what that accomplishes.

Reply to this post

Response to OneMoreDemocrat (Reply #10)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 07:44 PM

12. Well, you see, somebody has posted that they received a semi-automatic weapon as a Christmas gift

back in 2010. He thinks it is 'cool'. 2 weeks ago 20 little children were shot to death, one of them 11 times, by somebody with a semi-automatic weapon who undoubtedly also thought it was a pretty 'cool' weapon.

I find this perverted. You think it is discussion time. We disagree.

I can think of a question:

What is wrong with you that you describe a semiautomatic weapon as 'cool'?

As for you, one more democrat - what do you think he plans on using it for? Do you really think he has a clue?

Did you know that in combat, small caliber weapons, such as the 223 that our last nutbag used, is actually used to inflict wounds, and not death? You see, when someone is killed, it takes 1 man out. When someone is wounded, it takes out 3 - the wounded man, and the 2 who come to his rescue. You want to take out 3. Do you think our man with his new semi knows that, or does he think he owns a 'killing machine'?

Do you really need to think that hard about this?

Do you see a connection between your need to think hard about this and the fact that our nation is littered with semiautomatic weapons and mass shootings and today's 30 dead?

What would that connection be?

Reply to this post

Response to toby jo (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:05 PM

15. You get it.

Gun cultists, not so much.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:27 PM

19. Well....

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:29 PM

20. I got that rifle long before those kids were shot

There must be some kind of ex post facto rule on accusing someone of having perverted thoughts.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #20)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:54 PM

24. Doesn't seem to matter much...

You own one so clearly you must have killed at least one kid right?

I mean what else could you possibly do with one?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:52 PM

23. If it's not discussion time, then what is it?...

You just gonna call people names from behind your computer? Get all riled up and enjoy being part of the anti-gun team at DU? What are you actually going to do about it? Probably like so many righteous keyboard crusaders, nothing of substance.

And, no I don't see the connection. Can you point it out?

I'm not sure that I have anything to do with murders by semiautomatic weapons, as I don't have one and haven't done anything to get one into anyone's hands. I do however 'think' (there's that word again) that deaths caused by semiautomatic weapons are caused by more than semiautomatic weapons...and THAT is something to think about.

Reply to this post

Response to toby jo (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:43 PM

22. I'll tell you what's cool about it. The person who gave it to me knows I am a history buff.

The pattern is quite obsolete, primitive, but designed to be easily manufactured.

It's an interesting conversation piece. Certainly not a target rifle or suitable for hunting, but it's an interesting piece of engineering and fun for casual shooting at things like cans and pieces of fruit. The action makes a unique sound when it's fired. Once you've heard it you won't mistake anything else for it.

Owning it and studying it has demystified it and killed any desire I ever had to acquire one. It will be the one and only Kalashnikov in my collection for the foreseeable future. It will remain locked in my safe as long as I own it, except when I take it out on a newbie educational shoot.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 06:37 PM

4. Geniuses. Both the givers and the receivers.

I got books and socks for Christmas. I suppose I could put a book into a sock and swing it around threateningly, then post a picture to Twitter. I wouldn't look any stupider than this bunch.

Reply to this post

Response to Chorophyll (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 07:02 PM

8. Actually, that's a good point I hadn't thought about...

I understand that people can and want to own these weapons; I just think that for me if I were going to give one to someone as a present I might have waited until their Birthday or at least until Sandy Hook was a little less of an open wound.

Reply to this post

Response to OneMoreDemocrat (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 07:46 PM

14. Well, good luck finding a time when there ISN'T an open wound from gun violence. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 07:46 PM

13. But but...they defended their whole family when an intruder KICKED IN THEIR DOOR....

And lucky they had 'Cindy,' their Glock 9mm plastic gun!

Then things went 'Pew! Pew! Pew!' and they had ice cream.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:10 PM

16. Didn't Republicans, not too terribly long ago (of course, past the memories

of 'baggers who want to blame Obama for the costs of two wars), support a sort of "pre-emptive self defense"?

Wouldn't be surprised if any of these become fatalities of someone practicing "pre-emptive self defense" ...

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:11 PM

17. At least now we know who's impotent.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:11 PM

18. Childish

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:32 PM

21. Oh dear, some is expressing themself in a way you don't like?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread