HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Great LTTE On The NRA &am...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 08:33 PM

Great LTTE On The NRA & Gun Control

West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin made a number of interesting and reasonable suggestions in his Dec. 23 commentary : http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/sen-joe-manchin-between-obama-and-the-nra-another-path-to-stopping-mass-violence/2012/12/21/181d4e94-4adc-11e2-9a42-d1ce6d0ed278_story.html But his comment that, if you blame the National Rifle Association for the school shootings in Newtown, Conn., you are in effect blaming all of its 4 million members is without basis.

I, and just about everyone I know who favors some sort of reasonable control and gun-safety legislation, believe there are many NRA members who are willing to accept some restrictions on gun ownership. When speaking of the NRA, we are referring to its irresponsible, intransigent, irrational leadership.

No legislation would eliminate the possibility of mass killings or the equally appalling daily gun violence that takes place in every part of our country. But one action that would definitely help would be for the NRA membership to vote out the organization’s current leadership and bring in a group of reasonable people who are not closely associated with gun manufacturers and who reflect the clamor in this country for compromise on this issue.

Peter Theil, Washington

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/no-easy-answers-in-the-complex-gun-debate/2012/12/25/230b8dda-4de7-11e2-835b-02f92c0daa43_story.html

3 replies, 611 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Great LTTE On The NRA & Gun Control (Original post)
WillyT Dec 2012 OP
Indydem Dec 2012 #1
WillyT Dec 2012 #2
OneGrassRoot Dec 2012 #3

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 08:39 PM

1. There is no "clamor" in this country for compromise.

Do not misconstrue the opinions on the DU and in the media as a national attitude.

Millions of firearms are being sold every day that shows Americans are not unified (by a long shot) on this issue.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Indydem (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 08:52 PM

2. Oh... I Do Understand... Most People Probably Still Think Iraq Was Responsible For 9-11...

There are SIGNIFICANT numbers of people in this country that are afraid somebody is out to get them.

And that plays just fine with the powers that be.

We are MUCH MORE easily manipulated, and divided that way.

Easy peasy.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

- Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 09:00 PM

3. I wonder if it's the same Peter Thiel of PayPal...uber libertarian?

He wants to create an island for libertarians.

Very interesting if it's the same Mr. Peter Thiel.

Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread