HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Need a laugh? Inside the ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:17 PM

Need a laugh? Inside the republican bubble:

http://nymag.com/news/features/republican-caribbean-cruise-2012-12/

“Who sent Obama here to destroy America?” a fiftysomething woman asked me one evening over dinner, ...

“The thing we have to understand is, these are people who don’t have any morals,” said Hassett. “They’ll do anything. I’m one of their No. 1 targets. I mean, they really want me bad.”
“Well, you’re safe on this ship!” said Bobbie boldly.

Conservatives, they felt, needed their own cultural voice—a Letterman, a Leno, an SNL, a 30 Rock—to compete with the overwhelming liberal dominance of the culture.

19 replies, 2689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Need a laugh? Inside the republican bubble: (Original post)
DetlefK Dec 2012 OP
freshwest Dec 2012 #1
LeftishBrit Dec 2012 #8
freshwest Dec 2012 #10
samsingh Dec 2012 #2
NoMoreWarNow Dec 2012 #3
me b zola Dec 2012 #4
grantcart Dec 2012 #5
TeamPooka Dec 2012 #6
dodger501 Dec 2012 #7
Whovian Dec 2012 #9
starroute Dec 2012 #11
Oilwellian Dec 2012 #13
Pretzel_Warrior Dec 2012 #12
progressoid Dec 2012 #18
MyshkinCommaPrince Dec 2012 #14
starroute Dec 2012 #17
pacalo Dec 2012 #15
CatWoman Dec 2012 #16
No Compromise Dec 2012 #19

Response to DetlefK (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:28 PM

1. Not so funny in that they now have a full section of the UK Mail.

I don't know the philosophy of the owners of the newspaper, but it appears they swing just as far to the right now as those in America do:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/index.html

Check out the titles of the articles. It appears to be the same thing the libertarians push here. Even down to mocking gun control.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to freshwest (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:06 PM

8. The Daily Hate-Mail? GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Glad that you recognize the nastiness of this vile tabloid! It has far too much influence in the UK, and is thoroughly nasty.

In 2007, Mr Blur and some of the rest of us on the UK forum posted a thread to warn DU that it's not a respectable source. Some of the images are no longer available, but the message still stands:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=389&topic_id=2174684

The nastiness of this tabloid is nothing new. When it was founded at the end of the 19th century, the founder Lord Northcliffe stated that an aim of the newspaper was to provide a 'daily hate'. In the 1930s, the paper supported the Nazis and the Blackshirts.

But it's true that in the last few years - probably since papers went online - there has been more influence of the American Right on our more right-wing press. This includes both the Daily Hate and the Torygraph.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftishBrit (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:32 PM

10. OMFG! I guess I'd been taken in by the Guardian, etc. to think the UK didn't stoop to our level...

I'm sure some people are fooled, I only clicked on that link to see what it was and was shocked and chilled. The comfortable facade of British classical liberalism (or whatever) is disintegrating for me. When I'd hear things about groups such as the British National Party who has gotten bad press, I thought they were isolated and shunned by the majority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party

I had no idea that the Mail had such a history, I would have thought they'd have been shut down during WW2. Sounds like a Tokyo Rose type of publication. That they would support the nation that was bombing Britain - Wow!

Since we barely missed our own business coup here during WW2, which was faithfully archived in the British press, and have been subject to the Koch family with their vile roots, I guess I should not be surprised. Americans escaped the direct effects of the Nazi regime in Europe, so we seem almost willing to try it out here.

But reactionaries are global, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Thanks for the heads up on the Telegraph as well. I'll be more careful in my sourcing because of this.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:13 PM

2. they have fox

not our fault that repug/fox media are stupid imbeciles with no talent or wit

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:19 PM

3. yeah-- I read that piece last night

nothing too surprising, but it is kind of amusing

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:42 PM

4. I want a picture of Ralph Reed wearing

"lime-green pants embroidered with pink swordfish and navy polo shirt with white piping on the collar"

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:50 PM

5. Not happy with Fox:

Eventually, the subject turned to the right’s need to get outside its own media bubble, which had helped fan the fiction that it was going to win the election. Michael Walsh, a conservative writer, said Fox News was “incredibly tiresome” and needed to boot Sean Hannity. During the Q&A, a woman asked about her favorite on-air personality, Mike Huckabee. “He reminds me of Elmer Gantry,” said Walsh, referring to the con man played by Burt Lancaster in the 1960 film. “I don’t take anything he says seriously. He’s another person who should be off Fox, by the way.”

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:59 PM

6. Great article. Suck it conservatives.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:04 PM

7. Wingnuts At Sea

They'll never learn.
In 2010, my wife and I cruised on the Carnival Liberty. Along for the ride was Alan Keyes and a gaggle of geriatric haters.
It was not that big a group, all with their buttons and their stickers on their motorized scooters.
More like a clown show as this New Republic one was.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:28 PM

9. Great piece. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:33 PM

11. Here's the best line

"Under the shade of some palm trees, Ralph Reed took off his shirt and fed an orange to a giant iguana.

Reply to this post

Response to starroute (Reply #11)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 05:03 PM

13. LOL

Such a great visual.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 05:02 PM

12. Hilarious. Yeah. You guys tried humor with "Redeye"

I love the diagnosis that Obama has successfully de-ratified much of the Reagan Revolution.

Reply to this post

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:10 AM

18. And Dennis Miller.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:19 PM

14. Wow. A RW version of 30 Rock.

Trying to imagine what that might look like really makes my head spin. That's one they should do on the show itself.

Are they actually as obsessed with "liberal" voices in the entertainment media as they seem to be? I always assumed that was just a game of distraction they played to keep their culture warriors focused. But are they actually concerned about the matter, toward the middle and top of the hierarchy of their movement? Does it bug them that much? And either way, do they really think a RW version of 30 Rock or Letterman would help their cause? Makes me think of the Ranier Wolfcastle talk show on the Simpsons.

Reply to this post

Response to MyshkinCommaPrince (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 07:05 PM

17. I think the obsession goes back to the 60s

If you look back at the origins of Movement Conservative, it's clear that the young conservatives of the 60s were obsessed with the fact that lefties were cool and hip (and had better sex lives) while conservatives had a (well-deserved) image of being dull, dorky, and inhibited.

They've been trying ever since to prove that conservatism is really cool and edge and provocative. In all these years, though, they've never managed to figure out the trick, and today's young people are deserting them in droves.

And now all those envious young conservatives are bitter old conservatives, still hoping that it's all a plot by the evil liberal media and that if they could only get their *own shows* on TV, they could prove how cool and hip they really are.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:30 PM

15. It's interesting to hear how they think.

The high-profile "conservative" mentors who have invested years of fanning the flames of bigotry had their jobs cut out for them, didn't they? Reed explained the scary numbers, then Rasmussen told them to show minorities that they "really care" by talking to them as "grown-ups". How disgusting is that? Their clients' deep-seated feelings of superiority & self-entitlement couldn't be penetrated with any of their reversed clues of reality.

Just look at the samples of superiority & self-entitlement:

As he {a caregiver} smoked a cigarette, he recounted a conversation the two had about the ship’s largely Indonesian and Filipino staff.

BOSS: You notice none of the workers are white.
CAREGIVER: Except the managers upstairs.
BOSS: Well, that’s the way it should be.

She asked me with genuine concern about the problem of Muslims owning all the taxi medallions in New York City. “How the hell did that happen?” she asked.

As everyone went silent, she recalled a conference she attended in Australia in which a liberal nun (who “didn’t even have the decency to wear a habit”) criticized America for its “inner-city racism.” Offended, Ms. O’Sullivan recounted what she wished she’d said to this nun:

“Pardon me, madam, but I have been in your country of Australia for ten days and the only Aborigines I’ve seen have been drunk on the street, and at least if we were in my country they would be serving the drinks at this conference!”

Ms. O’Sullivan then warned against watering down the purity of the conservative agenda to placate minorities or, as she put it, rather succinctly, “the bastardization of the product.”

I wish we could take heart that, as the author noted, those on the cruise were all over age 50 whose way of thinking will be buried along with them in the not-so-distant future, but there's plenty more like them who didn't make the cruise, & these aren't the most dangerous bigoted minds that need changing. What about the younger Rambo mentalities who don't have the money to hobnob with the tone-setters on luxury cruises. Who or what is going to sway them from their hatred?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:34 PM

16. if you haven't, check out the responses to that article

this one deranged wingnut, "smart water" is about to explode at any minute....

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:40 PM

19. we don't have any morals? What planet are these people living on?

The best part was John Yoo's mom(at the very end of the article) who is a psychiatrist...she explained the party was stuck in denial and projection, and they needed to stop blaming and come up with solutions....to which he shushed her before she was thrown overboard

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread