HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A "Happy Holidays&qu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:33 AM

A "Happy Holidays" story.

I am from Kansas, folks landed in Leavenworth, I got my undergrad in liberal Lawrence, and am now at a lawschool in Topeka. This state is conservative, not necessarily in all the areas I've been in, but by and large it is. My father and mother are Republicans, big ones, very fiscally conservative but otherwise socially liberal(their son, me, is gay and their with us on those issues by and large, I THINK). Anyways, the point is that we're fairly idealogically opposed and sometimes we poke at each other, in good fun.

Well, we went to O'reilly Auto Parts the other day to get something for my car. As we're leaving the mechanic says "Merry Christmas", I can't remember if he said it first to my father or my father to him. We're walking away and I say to my father, jokingly of course, " You mean Happy Holidays! " /poke /poke

The man at the counter who just checked us out then says "No, it's Merry Christmas." See, at this time we were leaving, my father was saying something, he didn't hear it, we were out the door. It wasn't offensive to me- It was kinda funny. This guy is a classic republican in Leavenworth, paid a low wage, dresses somewhat low class, and obsesses not over the state of the economy or our foreign affairs but instead how strangers, with who knows what religious affiliation, address each other around a holiday time.

Had I been on my own I'd probably have lit him up.

I mean, really? This is what gets these people ramped up? Bullshit mountain is what Jon Stewart called it- and I think this past election really vindicated Democratic criticism of conservatives, that they were in their own alternate universe, with no sense of understanding of the actual pulse of the nation, or any sort of objective news source.

I mean..... REALLY?

12 replies, 1019 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to cecilfirefox (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 04:42 AM

1. I wonder what people who are like that about Christmas are thinking

Do they think they're doing Jesus a favor? I'm honestly curious. Is it their way of testifying to their faith or something more than just showing off about how pious he is? Because you were a customer who couldn't care less what his religion was, and he was kind of a jerk.

As a rule, people who say "Merry Christmas" probably aren't trying to be rude about it, and I don't take offense either way when it's meant well (I celebrate Christmas, but I say "Happy holidays" because I live in the real world where not everybody does)--but this guy was deliberately rude, I think.

Whatever. There's no point in arguing with people who think they're striking a blow for Jesus when they talk like that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to renate (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:17 AM

3. They are also expressing that their own Christmas is merry.

As in: (It's a) merry Christmas! Because it is unspoken, the listener can take it how they wish. As well, they are wishing the other person merry feelings in what they call Christmas. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas it's unthinkable to think that the other person would not know what Christmas is with its lights and parties and that it is on the 25th of December.

Some people like to take things in a bad way rather than a good way. One cannot make those people happy anyway, so why be bothered. It seems some people enjoy pissing in other people's Cheeri-Os.

So, like you, I wonder what people who are like that about Christmas are thinking.

Reply to this post

Response to renate (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 09:01 PM

6. I had a clerk belligerently tell me 'Merry Christmas" and then followed it with "They can't

tell me to take Jesus out of Christmas".

I responded with, "Well, I take blessings and good wishes in whatever form they're offered to me. But "Merry Christmas" from the ritual of Christ's Mass is a perfectly good Catholic wish.

I know she's evangelical fundamentalist (though she's a clerk at the liquor store), and I thought I'd just mess with her mind a little.

Reply to this post

Response to SharonAnn (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 09:12 PM

7. I explained to grumbly store clerk that "holidays" came from "holy days"

so I didn't understand how referencing "holy days" would be offensive. I just got a confused stare back. Oh well.

Reply to this post

Response to SharonAnn (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:56 AM

8. "Merry Christmas," he snarled n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:04 AM

2. You know,

the guy at the counter simply passed along a greeting for the holiday(s), why does it have to become an issue? Your post indicates or rather supposes all sorts of things about the person at the counter which you really don't, you assume (and there is a classic phrase about what happens when you assume) based upon your perceptions

"This guy is a classic republican in Leavenworth, paid a low wage, dresses somewhat low class, and obsesses not over the state of the economy or our foreign affairs but instead how strangers, with who knows what religious affiliation, address each other around a holiday time".

You know nothing of this man, his hopes, his dreams, his family situation, his health, his worries.

To borrow a quote from your post........

"I mean.......Really?"

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 08:21 PM

4. You may have misunderstood what I wrote-

He specifically said what he said to me, with a not so glamorous look on his face- it was a slam against me. I know, I was there.

Thanks though!

Reply to this post

Response to cecilfirefox (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 08:30 PM

5. No, I got your meaning.

very clearly.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 08:25 AM

9. The guy behind the counter was rude.

You should read the story again. The OP was talking with his dad as they were leaving the store, and the guy at the counter interrupted their conversation to "correct" him. That is not simply passing along a greeting for the holiday. That is fucking rude.

Reply to this post

Response to Mariana (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 03:43 PM

10. Would that be after

they mocked his greeting?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 03:57 PM

11. I imagine that soon it will be...

I imagine that soon it will be "Inoffensive seasonal period of appropriate celebratory behavior with cultural variations of traditions and significance!"

...so no one feels left out, co-opted, forgotten, blighted, slighted, etc.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 04:28 PM

12. Apparently he wants your New Year's Eve to suck, and hopes your Thanksgiving was already a bust. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread