HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How Americans have HALF t...

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:16 AM

How Americans have HALF the amount of time off of nearly every other nation each year...and most are

How Americans have HALF the amount of time off of nearly every other nation each year...and most are too scared for their jobs to use all of their vacation time.

Americans from coast to coast hit the road and hopped aboard planes this week en route to their winter holiday destinations, hoping to make the most of what little vacation time they get during the year.

Unlike in countries like Australia and Brazil, where workers enjoy more than a month off each year, most people in the U.S. only get to have about two weeks off, and many donít even use all of their vacation time out of fear of losing their job or appearing lazy in the eyes of their co-workers and managers.

For comparison, workers down under spend at least four weeks away from the office in addition to 10 public holidays, while Brazilians have 22 days of paid leave with a 33 per cent salary vacation bonus.

In France, people working in the private sector take at least five weeks off a year, and those who have government jobs enjoy up to nine weeks of vacation time, according to Bigthink.com.

Americans' reluctance to take time off work could be partially attributed to the fact that the U.S. is the sole member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) - a group of 34 developed nations founded in 1961 to stimulate economic progress and world trade - that does not require employers to provide a single day of paid leave to their employees.

Workers in Finland, Norway and Sweden have 25 days of paid annual leave, followed by Portugal and Spain, where employees get more than three weeks off with pay.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2252712/How-Americans-HALF-time-nearly-nation-year--scared-jobs-use-vacation-time.html#ixzz2G2t04EmD

12 replies, 1511 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Americans have HALF the amount of time off of nearly every other nation each year...and most are (Original post)
Whovian Dec 2012 OP
MrSlayer Dec 2012 #1
uponit7771 Dec 2012 #2
Sherman A1 Dec 2012 #3
SammyWinstonJack Dec 2012 #4
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #5
mrmpa Dec 2012 #6
RB TexLa Dec 2012 #7
MrModerate Dec 2012 #8
Beaverhausen Dec 2012 #9
MrModerate Jan 2013 #11
bettyellen Dec 2012 #10
MrModerate Jan 2013 #12

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:00 AM

1. Let's keep crushing unions, driving down wages and denying benefits.

After all, the "job creators" deserve to have more and more wealth. Only they deserve luxury and leisure. If you aren't smart and bold enough to build up a business and get rich on your own, you're probably just a mooching slacker living off the grace of the entrepreneur. Let's get rid of that pesky 40 hour work week, vacations and lunch breaks, that second yacht isn't going to just appear out of nowhere.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MrSlayer (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:12 AM

2. Unions have to do a better job of branding themselves, use union dues to fight

...against assisnine conservative memes.

This year was the first year I've notice a run of commericails branding the unions and their members.

Other than that FAUX news et all send in FUDrs to brand the unions in a negative light

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:17 AM

3. Precisely

It's damn sad. In the do more and more with less and less (people) world in which we operate. Employees are indeed scared to take their allotted time off as they will either be forced to make up the work before or after they take any leave or it indicates that they less of a team player (putting their work onto others while they are gone). I and the people with whom I work for just an example can get up to 5 weeks paid time off, but you can hardly get it more than a couple with scheduling and work load (we do get a cash payout on that time which is taxed as a bonus). If folks could really take their time off and relax, enjoy and recharge their batteries, it would help create jobs in not only their fields (as vacation replacements of some sort would be needed) and in the travel industry as well.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:55 AM

4. Yabut, we're the 'envy of the World, doncha know?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 07:07 AM

5. Adam Smith, of all people, warned about just this sort of thing in Wealth of Nations.

If only more "capitalists" would actually read their 'bible'...

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:29 AM

6. I interviewed for a job recently, and then job shadowed a worker..........

for a day. This was a job where you are in your car all day meeting with behaviorally challenged individuals in personal care home and their own residences.

We ate on the fly in the car. I asked the employee, what you do about lunch, because you are paid for a 37.5 hour week. She said "I don't know". Apparently no one takes 1/2 hour off, because if they can do so many billable hours in a 3 month period, they will receive a "bonus".

I can't get a reply from the woman who interviewed me. Apparently I asked the wrong question. If I do get the job, one of the first phone calls I make is to the SEIU.

So it's not only vacation time, it's breaks and lunches that we don't get.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:36 AM

7. I don't take my vacation and holidays in part to make my co-workers look lazy

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:59 AM

8. This chart strikes me as bogus . . .

If you're employed, there are 11 paid holidays a year in the US, unless your employer is playing fast and loose with the law or is treating you as a temp. I'm not saying that many companies don't run that scam, but most don't -- they can't and retain their workforces doing so. And notwithstanding the cynical aspects of capitalism, if a practice costs money (like excessive turnover or absenteism) then the market militates against it.

In addition, most companies start employees with at least 10 days of vacation (in addition to sick leave, if any), and you earn additional vacation for years of service. In my company (which is large, admittedly), after 5 years you get all 11 holidays and and 21 days leave (but no sick leave unless you're on foreign assignment) -- and that's pretty standard for our industy. And my industry makes up a hair more than 2% of the employment market in the US, which is a pretty big chunk.

Perhaps this represents what is nationally mandated in the listed countries rather than what is conventional practice.

I don't, OTOH, deny that some people are so concerned about appearing redundant that they are reluctant to take that leave, although my company virtually hands you a brochure about vacations spots and tells you to get lost for a few weeks if you accrue too much leave. Not that the bosses are unusually generous, but they understand that lack of vacations leads to declines in performance.

Reply to this post

Response to MrModerate (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 02:07 AM

9. 11? I have a generous benefit package and have 9 holidays

My husband only has 6. What are the 11 and what is the law that employers must follow?

Reply to this post

Response to Beaverhausen (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 05:49 PM

11. I got the count wrong . . . it's 9 (or 8)

(I'm currently assigned to Australia, and there are a couple more national holidays here, so counting on my fingers didn't work)

But the US days are:

New Yearís Day, Tuesday, January 1
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday, January 21
Presidentís Day, Monday, February 18
Memorial Day, Monday, May 27
Independence Day, Thursday, July 4
Labor Day, Monday, September 2
Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28
Floating Holiday, Friday, November 29
Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25

The Floating Holiday (to avoid people having to come into work the Friday after Thanksgiving, which has historically proved to be extremely unproductive and inefficient) may be rarer.

And my understanding of the law is that public holidays must be treated as such by employers. I've worked in about 10 US states, and that's always been the case for me.

Reply to this post

Response to MrModerate (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 26, 2012, 03:09 AM

10. not bogus, it is what is mandated in other countries. you cited what is common in corporate america

but is also becoming less frequent. i worked of a lot of midsize companies that only give you a week plus 5-6 paid holidays.
and many many huge profitable companies are using contract workers to get around giving any bennies, ever.
what you are describing is what was standard thirty years ago. Not these days, and not at all in retailing or service industries.

Reply to this post

Response to bettyellen (Reply #10)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 05:53 PM

12. Sadly, you're right.

My company is largely staffed by technical and administrative people. The company has very few tangible assets (outside of office buildings and one business line that rents construction equipment -- generally to ourselves), and qualified people simply won't work for us or our competitors without such "traditional" benefits.

I know it's different in other industries

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread