HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Have you ever been in a s...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:46 PM

Have you ever been in a situation where you feared gun violence?

deliberate gun violence directed at you or others? or accidental?

I have. Riding LA public bus. Teen (or young adult) was showing his gun to the other young folks in the back of the bus. Had gun out, moving it back and forth between hands, kind of proudly. One of those modern type glock like guns, not the old timey revolver.

I feared the gun going off.

Otherwise, I remember men walking around with guns in holsters on hip (IN CALIFORNIA!!) back in the last sixties, before all the gun laws.

24 replies, 1029 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have you ever been in a situation where you feared gun violence? (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 OP
benld74 Dec 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #2
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #3
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #18
2naSalit Dec 2012 #4
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #5
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #7
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #24
NNN0LHI Dec 2012 #6
slackmaster Dec 2012 #8
gollygee Dec 2012 #9
catbyte Dec 2012 #10
REP Dec 2012 #11
DURHAM D Dec 2012 #12
wickerwoman Dec 2012 #13
Kaleva Dec 2012 #14
laundry_queen Dec 2012 #15
doc03 Dec 2012 #16
shadowrider Dec 2012 #17
Iggo Dec 2012 #19
11 Bravo Dec 2012 #20
Nevernose Dec 2012 #21
Still Sensible Dec 2012 #22
Recursion Dec 2012 #23

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:51 PM

1. Back in college, working as a bouncer, breaking up a fight,

the guy I had held back against the wall had pulled his. I was holding the arm it was in and didnt even know it. Until somebody grabbed it from him.
All for minimum wage no less.
I quit the week after.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:51 PM

2. Yup...

My medic rig was shot at...bullet went by missing the Oxygen tank by centimeters. (It was a .223)

And that is but one of many...due to the war on drugs.

Then there was the being in a conversation outside a store...boom...I was flat

Or the gun fire the other day outside my window.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:55 PM

3. I recall being surrounded by gunfire on new years in Los Angeles

LAPD put an end to that stuff in the 90s. Before then, gunfire errupted all over LA at midnight to celebrate the new year. It was bad in the 80s. I could hear guns being reloaded. and we are talking suburbs too.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:38 PM

18. That idiocy always gets to me

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:59 PM

4. Yup...

had guns pointed at me, up close and personal, and a number of other situations that I'm not going into.

It's why I stay away from people and populated places anymore.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:04 PM

5. Home invader told be he was going to shoot me

I was subduing his partner on the floor at the time. My late wife shot him first. While I have had any number of threats made, that is the only serious one.

I am not counting time in uniform etc.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:07 PM

7. yikes!

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:44 PM

24. Was a long time ago.

We were cleaning up a house we were moving into. Kids were small off with family. First guy came in and I broke his gun hand with a drywall tool and was struggling to control him. His friend heard the yelling and came in, also armed. Wife heard it too. He had me cold and was doing the stereotypical thug word dance. Wife double tapped him mid sentence with a small caliber semi automatic. DC police were not amused, but nothing came of it.

GLBTs are also at high risk for violence, though not all of it as at gunpoint. Ask your gay friends about violence targeting them. It might surprise you.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:07 PM

6. When I was a kid our alcoholic neighbor tried shooting a moth off his wall

We had several entrance and exit holes on the walls of our house.

It was a terrifying experience as a child. Never really had any interest in guns after that.

Don

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:13 PM

8. No, but I get scared by inattentive drivers every day

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:16 PM

9. Yeah but I was somewhere with gun control and when I realized that, I felt a bit foolish

So I was on public transportation in a country with strict gun control, and a guy came on and started ranting and raving and freaking out and cursing. My instinct was to push my kid down between the seats and I leaned over her to cover her. Then the guy left and everyone asked why I'd done that, and I said, "Well where I come from, that guy might have had a gun."

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:24 PM

10. I was almost shot accidentally by a Barney Fife wannabe deputy my dad knew

when he was a police officer. This moron wanted to see dad's gun while they were in the kitchen. I was coming in the back door, felt something whiz by my head. I turned just in time to see the bullet travel through our wall and into Barney Fife's rear fender, puncturing his gas tank.

I have never seen my dad so angry. He respected guns & had me shooting when I was 8. It's funny, now, but I came really close to becoming a statistic, and our yard smelled like gas for a week.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:28 PM

11. No, just regular old assault and battery, since I used to be on foot a lot

and have been the target of several attempted muggings and one attempted kidnapping/rape. Fought them all off, and then was given a car, and then moved to a far safer city. Good thing, too because I'm too old and my arthritis is too bad for that shit (all that fighting and jumping from a speeding vehicle contributed to my joint decay).

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:29 PM

12. Yes, my house is in the forest and

I hear shots all of the time. I never know if they are shooting deer, hogs, or each other. The sheriff can't ever find the source; maybe he is the source.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:31 PM

13. No, but two kids in my high school got in trouble for bringing guns to school.

One was just a jerk-wad upperclassman who wanted to show off to his friends and the other was a suicidal kid who was planning to off himself in the gym after school.

I never felt any real threat from either of them or anyone else- certainly not to the extent that I have ever seriously considered owning a gun.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:33 PM

14. No

Reply to this post

15. Not really.

I'm in Canada. The only time I've been worried is at my University last year, a po'ed student made a threat to an instructor and claimed he had a gun. He was arrested and searched and found not to have one. Then he was expelled. For a few weeks we had a lot of security. I hoped he didn't find a gun and come back. Luckily, it's more difficult for people to get guns here, so that's the only time I've ever been worried about it.

Reply to this post

16. In the army at Fort Gordon two or three NCOs had private rooms at the end of our

barracks on the second floor. They had a hasp on the outside of their doors so they could lock their room up when they were out. Some joker thought it would be funny to lock one of the NCOs inside. This NCO was just back from Nam and was claustrophobic, he totally lost it when he tried to come out and found he was locked in. He goes nuts busts the lock off the door and comes out screaming with a loaded .45 auto. Everyone is diving behind our bunks and lockers, luckily one of the other NCOs came up behind him and got him settled down before he started shooting.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:36 PM

17. Yes

Long story short, I was with 2 friends in a place we shouldn't have been. Argument ensued, guy went outside, came back in and had hand in his sweatshirt hand warmers. His girlfriend was screaming at him not to do it, the owner pulled a shotgun out from behind the bar and I was trying desperately to get between the jukebox and the wall.

The situation was diffused but other than that, no.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:39 PM

19. In a previous life.

I'm all better now.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:40 PM

20. Yeah, but I was in the middle of a war, so that probably shouldn't count ...

I feared that my rifle (if I had called it a gun, there would have been repercussions) might NOT go off, because the M-16 was prone to jamming, at least that was a not uncommon experience in my platoon.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:41 PM

21. I've been kidnapped at gunpoint (twice) & was a drive-by recipient

Also robbed at gunpoint a couple of times. Still haven't ever purchased a gun, though I have inherited several over the years.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:41 PM

22. Yes, it was 36 years ago, but when you get

a gun pointed at you, you don't forget it. A buddy and I were on a road trip summer of 76 on break from college. Car broke down outside Deming NM and had to get some money wired to me. The gas station/western union office in town was where the money was supposed to go. I had checked there twice, no luck, so me and my buddy decided to just wait there. The cranky, middle aged guy running the place told us we couldn't wait there... I told him "It's like 110 degrees out there, why cant we just wait?" He said "Because I said so" and he pulled a long barrel 45 out from under the counter and pointed it at me... at which point, we obviously split in a big fucking hurry. I guess he figured, based on my somewhat long hair and beard, that I was a threat.

Long story short, I flagged down a Deming cop, told him my story and that I just had a gun pulled on me at the gas station.... he said "I've been wanting to nail that crazy sonofabitch, wait here".... He arrested the guy! Hippies win!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 05:43 PM

23. Sure, the two times I've been robbed at gunpoint

While living in a city that had, at the time, a complete handgun ban (no, I'm not saying my having a handgun would have helped, I'm saying a ban didn't help either).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread