HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If you get crazy and depr...

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:14 PM

If you get crazy and depressed in February

If you get crazy and depressed in February you have cabin fever.

If, on the other hand, you find that November and December are the worst you probably have the unfortunately named Seasonal Affective Disorder. (SAD)

The shortest day of the year is the first day of winter followed by weeks and months of the coldest and snowiest days.

Myself, I hate the cold... hate, hate, hate... but am less happy Nov-Dec than during the coldest months.

I was society's cruelest prank to pack the most intense family holidays (Thanksgiving to Christmas) around the thirty days of most accelerating despair for millions... the days leading up to the winter solstice.

5 replies, 742 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply If you get crazy and depressed in February (Original post)
cthulu2016 Dec 2012 OP
Gidney N Cloyd Dec 2012 #1
Gemini Cat Dec 2012 #2
hfojvt Dec 2012 #3
DonCoquixote Dec 2012 #4
ileus Dec 2012 #5

Response to cthulu2016 (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:36 PM

1. Seems to me the timing and intensity of the holidays grew directly out of the short, cold days.

Me, I have a lot of 'dark' days between Thanksgiving and 'Pitchers & Catchers Report' day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Gidney N Cloyd (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:49 PM

2. 48 more days and

96 days until (what should be a national holiday) Opening Day. We're getting there, slowly.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:58 PM

3. wouldn't those holidays be an antidote for most people?

this has been a good year for me.

So far I have not heard felix navidad not melikalekimaka even once.

So I have not had to gouge out my eardrums.

I think it is bogus to call December 21st the first day of winter. By the 21st winter is already 1/3 over. And the days are already getting longer and the sun stronger.

Heck, this far south (Kansas City) the really cold parts of winter are usually not more than three weeks long anyway.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:29 PM

4. on the contrary

It was society's cruelest prank to pack the most intense family holidays (Thanksgiving to Christmas) around the thirty days of most accelerating despair for millions... the days leading up to the winter solstice.

I think that is exactly why they happened when they did, because without family and good cheer, it would have been very easy to strave, get sick and DIE during those times.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:43 PM

5. Hurry up March.

After the Holidays and the 1st I'm ready to get winter over with. Come feb I'll be out cleaning the yard and trimming and getting ready for spring to hit. Getting the yard fertilized and ready for the new mowing season, planting bulbs....when will spring ever arrive.

Life is only 70 days away...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread